Davis Webb, QB, California (formerly Texas Tech) 6'5 230 pounds

Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by valrod33:
undrafted free agent if he is lucky

Because?

Val has a proven scientific theory on QBs and having dumb names. It's science
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Val has a proven scientific theory on QBs and having dumb names. It's science

This. Davis Webb sounds like the name for a law firm, not an NFL quarterback, hence dude will flop.
Webb started at Texas Tech and now moved to Sonny Dykes' Bear Raid system. Inflated stats from wide open offenses. The name thing doesn't help either ;).
Sounds like there's a lot of intriguing prospects at QB this yr
This board still hasn't learned its lesson about air raid qbs?
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Temecula49ersfan:

lol seriously. I admit guys like Goff and Webb look good when it's not crunch time. But they're putrid when the pressure is on. Can't win big games with them.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by okdkid:

lol seriously. I admit guys like Goff and Webb look good when it's not crunch time. But they're putrid when the pressure is on. Can't win big games with them.

Guys like Goff and Webb haven't even passed the ball in a real NFL game yet, so why even judge them now??

What do you guys prefer, a QB from the Spread-Option or Read-Option??
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Guys like Goff and Webb haven't even passed the ball in a real NFL game yet, so why even judge them now??

I prefer guys who aren't mush between the ears in big moments or against top competition.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I prefer guys who aren't mush between the ears in big moments or against top competition.

But passing judgement on Jared Goff already without even seeing him in a real NFL game or full season for that matter. A lot of QB's in college couldn't win the big game, and you know what that means, absolutely squat when it comes to you as a prospect in the NFL Draft. I mean Alabama QB's are just lighting up the NFL aren't they!!!
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

But passing judgement on Jared Goff already without even seeing him in a real NFL game or full season for that matter. A lot of QB's in college couldn't win the big game, and you know what that means, absolutely squat when it comes to you as a prospect in the NFL Draft. I mean Alabama QB's are just lighting up the NFL aren't they!!!

Hmm. Let me rephrase. I prefer "top" QB prospects who perform in big moments or against top competition. Goff never beat a ranked opponent or won a big game against top competition and, while it's still early with Webb this year, didn't belong on the field in crunch time last night. He was a liability.
[ Edited by okdkid on Sep 25, 2016 at 11:37 AM ]

I actually think McCarron can be a great QB. I really would like us to trade for him. He proved he can be a good quarterback last season and should of led them to a huge play off win if it wasn't for all the morons on Cincys defense that imploded.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Sep 25, 2016 at 1:03 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Hmm. Let me rephrase. I prefer "top" QB prospects who perform in big moments or against top competition. Goff never beat a ranked opponent or won a big game against top competition and, while it's still early with Webb this year, didn't belong on the field in crunch time last night. He was a liability.

Man I guess in this day and age, if you don't come outta gates firing like Tom Brady - You SUCK!!!!

So what Goff has never beaten a ranked opponent, again that means absolutely nothing. Has Carson Wentz ever played against Stanford, Oregon or Utah??
Goff had one of thee crappiest teams in college football, but he made it work.

I understand what you are staying. I don't disagree with your comment about spread qbs. However, college qbs from an air raid system run a basic offense with their wrs running a limited route tree. I could argue, and I sure you could defend this point, that a run and shoot offense is more complex than an air raid offense.

Whether your a qb from Wazzu, Cal, TTU, OK State, or TCU it's the same old thing... mesh, vertical, sticks, and shallow cross. Love watching it at the college level but I think it takes upwards of 3 years to translate a qb from that system to an NFL system.

Teams do not want to wait that long on a highly drafted qb.

On a side note, Derek Carr benefitted from spending 3 years in a pro style offense followed by his last two years in a spread system but I have a soft spot for MWC/WAC qbs.

So you want guys who can make short throws like gabbert?
I understand what you are staying. I don't disagree with your comment about spread qbs. However, college qbs from an air raid system run a basic offense with their wrs running a limited route tree. I could argue, and I sure you could defend this point, that a run and shoot offense is more complex than an air raid offense.

Whether your a qb from Wazzu, Cal, TTU, OK State, or TCU it's the same old thing... mesh, vertical, sticks, and shallow cross. Love watching it at the college level but I think it takes upwards of 3 years to translate a qb from that system to an NFL system.

Teams do not want to wait that long on a highly drafted qb.

On a side note, Derek Carr benefitted from spending 3 years in a pro style offense followed by his last two years in a spread system but I have a soft spot for MWC/WAC qbs.

You evaluate the prospect on their own merits. The vast majority of Air Raid QB's in the NFL have been mediocre prospects that would likely have gone undrafted if not for playing in that offense. Steve Young played in a precursor of the Air Raid in college at BYU while Tim Couch was the highest rated prospect coming out of the scheme but he got absolutely mauled playing for an expansion team with an expansion level OL.

If the prospect has the mechanics, the footwork, the accuracy, the pocket awareness, the touch....etc.......then you draft them. Most of the Air Raid guys that have been drafted had significant flaws in one fashion or another.

As far as Goff goes, only time will tell what kind of quarterback he turns out to be in the long run, it is way too early to write him off or to try and predict what his career arc will look like ultimately.

Share 49ersWebzone