There are 279 users in the forums

Lamar Jackson QB

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • NM16
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Peyton Manning was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and still only got an average score on the Wonderlic (28). Didn't stop him from having one of the highest football IQs in the history of the league. As long as Jackson is willing to put in the work, I'm not too worried, but anything lower than a 20 on the Wonderlic will raise some red flags and could prevent him from being a top 3 pick (and prevent us from getting a massive haul for trading back).
even then wonderlic seems irrelevant. Fitzpatrick almost got a perfect score while elway and favre both got below 20s
Originally posted by NM16:
Peyton Manning was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and still only got an average score on the Wonderlic (28). Didn't stop him from having one of the highest football IQs in the history of the league. As long as Jackson is willing to put in the work, I'm not too worried, but anything lower than a 20 on the Wonderlic will raise some red flags and could prevent him from being a top 3 pick (and prevent us from getting a massive haul for trading back).
even then wonderlic seems irrelevant. Fitzpatrick almost got a perfect score while elway and favre both got below 20s

The Wonderlic is a test of intelligence, not the ability to play QB or read a defense. It's correlated with success at certain positions, but it's obviously not the only factor or the most important factor in predicting success. I can't think of any QBs who have had success recently with Wonderlic scores under 20 though. Bradshaw is one of the only QBs I can think of (16) and that was a long time ago.

Fitzpatrick is probably a genius, but there are millions of geniuses in the US and most of them aren't NFL quarterbacks. Elway got a 29 and Favre got a 22. 20 seems to be the bare minimum for the position - it's helpful to be closer to 30, but as long as you meet that minimum requirement, you can pick up the mental side of the game as long as you put in the time. At other positions like cornerback and running back, there is almost no minimum intelligence required and guys with lower Wonderlic scores may actually perform better.
  • NM16
  • Veteran

The Wonderlic is a test of intelligence, not the ability to play QB or read a defense. It's correlated with success at certain positions, but it's obviously not the only factor or the most important factor in predicting success. I can't think of any QBs who have had success recently with Wonderlic scores under 20 though. Bradshaw is one of the only QBs I can think of (16) and that was a long time ago.

Fitzpatrick is probably a genius, but there are millions of geniuses in the US and most of them aren't NFL quarterbacks. Elway got a 29 and Favre got a 22. 20 seems to be the bare minimum for the position - it's helpful to be closer to 30, but as long as you meet that minimum requirement, you can pick up the mental side of the game as long as you put in the time. At other positions like cornerback and running back, there is almost no minimum intelligence required and guys with lower Wonderlic scores may actually perform better.
Not Elway I meant Marino my bad. He got a 16, McNabb got a 14 or something but what I think overall is the test is not that important. If my qb studied for it and got like a 7 I'd be concerned but overall, if he's an extremely skilled a hard worker and loves the game, sky's the limit. If Darnold comes out and gets a 12, are people going to second guess him? I wouldnt

Not Elway I meant Marino my bad. He got a 16, McNabb got a 14 or something but what I think overall is the test is not that important. If my qb studied for it and got like a 7 I'd be concerned but overall, if he's an extremely skilled a hard worker and loves the game, sky's the limit. If Darnold comes out and gets a 12, are people going to second guess him? I wouldn't

I'd be very alarmed if any QB gets a 12 on the Wonderlic. 12 is borderline illiterate. All these guys should be over 20 considering they're preparing for the test (20-25 represents average IQ if you don't prepare). Of the top 3 QBs, the only one who is completely safe there is Rosen, because he's a bright guy and will probably get 30+, but I'd bet on ~15-25 for Jackson and ~20-30 for Darnold.

Very few QBs have been successful in the NFL with low scores on the Wonderlic and the ones who were successful all seem to have elite gifts elsewhere to make up for a lack of intelligence (Marino's arm, McNabb's mobility and arm, Jeff George's arm). Vince Young is one of the only recent examples I can think of who scored under a 20 (16). Vick got exactly a 20 and Newton got a 21 and they're two of the most physically gifted players to play the game. Roethlisberger has a relatively low score among modern QBs of 25. The good news is that Jackson is an elite athlete like Vick was so having a low IQ wouldn't preclude him from being successful, but you'd still rather see a score in the mid-20s.
Big game... Woop-woop! We need QBs to go 1-2-3
Keep those QB stocks high. We have Cleveland (the only team likely to finish ahead of us),the Giants, the Bengals, Broncos, possibly the Chargers. Jets, Cardinals, possibly the Ravens, maybe Washington, Bills, and maybe the Jaguars. Not saying all those teams are drafting a QB in the first round (obviously), but all of the above could be in the market. I bolded the teams that I perceive to be desperate. Fortunately, demand is higher than supply. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Keep those QB stocks high. We have Cleveland (the only team likely to finish ahead of us),the Giants, the Bengals, Broncos, possibly the Chargers. Jets, Cardinals, possibly the Ravens, maybe Washington, Bills, and maybe the Jaguars. Not saying all those teams are drafting a QB in the first round (obviously), but all of the above could be in the market. I bolded the teams that I perceive to be desperate. Fortunately, demand is higher than supply. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

The demand is looking f**king fantastic lol. Heck if CJ tears it up some you never know as well
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Jcool:

I thought it was gonna be a pass, we all know he can run. meh
I want to see Jackson go a team with a great offensive minded HC, preferably in the AFC.

I know it's unlikely because of Mahomes, but it would be sweet to see Lamar with Andy Reid.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I want to see Jackson go a team with a great offensive minded HC, preferably in the AFC.

Preferably in Cleveland.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Jackson just broke a 76 yard run... If he didnt kind of run out of gas he probably scores.
I want Lamar to succeed, but guys like him flame out in a couple of years. Hopefully he really tries improve his qb craft rather than try to dazzle with his athleticism. Having someone that can do both is super rare.
I love every QB who performs well before the draft for the value of our own pick
Pretty exciting end of the first half.
Share 49ersWebzone