LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

DeShone Kizer QB, Notre Dame

Those are interesting quotes.

I saw Kizer, on... I think it was Gruden's QB Camp. I have no idea how I even had that on, because I never watch ESPN. Anyway, somehow it was on, and I happened to catch some of his discussions with Kizer. I was really, really impressed with Kizer. He seemed extremely well-spoken and very poised.

But then were the recent quotes, like "Tom Brady in Cam Newton's body"... that was just abrasively arrogant and totally off-putting.

Seem like he's a really polarizing figure.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Stock down: DeShone Kizer

This would not be a steep drop, mind you, but it would be enough of a drop to put the brakes on the hopes that were growing in camp. Judging Kizer against Kessler and Osweiler can be misleading because the good throws Kizer makes stand out more when the other two aren't getting a lot done. In the scrimmage, Kizer looked like a rookie who still has a lot to learn. Concerns about his accuracy linger from college, and in all practices and the scrimmages he's completing 51 percent of his passes, according to unofficial numbers kept by ESPN Cleveland. That's just not good enough. Kizer deserves credit for guiding the offense to the 15 on his last possession, but he did not finish the drive while facing second-team and third-team players, some of whom won't be in the NFL after preseason. The scrimmage stressed that the Browns might be need to be patient with him. Jackson admitted it was an "eye-opening" experience for Kizer. That being said, it would also not be surprising if Jackson decided he needs to see Kizer in live action Thursday, which means Kizer would get snaps in the first half. The flip side: Kizer is 21 and learning to call plays in the huddle and make pre-snap reads for the first time in his life. There is plenty of time for him to grow without being rushed.
http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/22664/qb-breakdown-brock-osweiler-helped-himself-in-scrimmage-deshone-kizer-not-so-much
[ Edited by jcs on Aug 5, 2017 at 10:24 PM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Kaiser was a good college qb but that's about it. Honestly, and this isn't the SC guy talking, Kessler was a better college QB... so Kaiser better show something that none of us has seen. If he doesn't, he will be a career backup. I honestly don't see him showing anything more than Kessler.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:
Stock down: DeShone Kizer

This would not be a steep drop, mind you, but it would be enough of a drop to put the brakes on the hopes that were growing in camp. Judging Kizer against Kessler and Osweiler can be misleading because the good throws Kizer makes stand out more when the other two aren't getting a lot done. In the scrimmage, Kizer looked like a rookie who still has a lot to learn. Concerns about his accuracy linger from college, and in all practices and the scrimmages he's completing 51 percent of his passes, according to unofficial numbers kept by ESPN Cleveland. That's just not good enough. Kizer deserves credit for guiding the offense to the 15 on his last possession, but he did not finish the drive while facing second-team and third-team players, some of whom won't be in the NFL after preseason. The scrimmage stressed that the Browns might be need to be patient with him. Jackson admitted it was an "eye-opening" experience for Kizer. That being said, it would also not be surprising if Jackson decided he needs to see Kizer in live action Thursday, which means Kizer would get snaps in the first half. The flip side: Kizer is 21 and learning to call plays in the huddle and make pre-snap reads for the first time in his life. There is plenty of time for him to grow without being rushed.
http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/22664/qb-breakdown-brock-osweiler-helped-himself-in-scrimmage-deshone-kizer-not-so-much

Originally posted by Geeked:
Kaiser was a good college qb but that's about it. Honestly, and this isn't the SC guy talking, Kessler was a better college QB... so Kaiser better show something that none of us has seen. If he doesn't, he will be a career backup. I honestly don't see him showing anything more than Kessler.

Way too early to write Kizer off. He's as much of a project as Mahomes with some extra character concerns (sounds like a narcissist, didn't appear to prepare much for the combine). He has far more potential than Kessler though. He's 6'4 230 with the second best arm strength in the class (after Mahomes) and decent athleticism. He also had the highest Wonderlic of the top QBs coming out this year, so he should be able to learn playbooks if he puts the time in.

Kizer - 28
Trubisky - 25
Webb - 25
Mahomes - 24
Watson - 20

http://wonderlictestsample.com/deshone-kizer-wonderlic-score/

Kessler was the better college QB and a better fit as a backup because he doesn't have attitude issues. Kizer is a little more like Kaepernick in the sense that if he doesn't develop, you may not want him to be your backup QB, but if he does develop, he could be a pretty good starter.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Aug 6, 2017 at 8:22 AM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by Geeked:

Way too early to write Kizer off. He's as much of a project as Mahomes with some extra character concerns (sounds like a narcissist, didn't appear to prepare much for the combine). He has far more potential than Kessler though. He's 6'4 230 with the second best arm strength in the class (after Mahomes) and decent athleticism. He also had the highest Wonderlic of the top QBs coming out this year, so he should be able to learn playbooks if he puts the time in.

Kizer - 28
Trubisky - 25
Webb - 25
Mahomes - 24
Watson - 20

Kessler was the better college QB and a better fit as a backup because he doesn't have attitude issues. Kizer is a little more like Kaepernick in the sense that if he doesn't develop, you may not want him to be your backup QB, but if he does develop, he could be a pretty good starter.

Mary Kay Cabot who covers the Browns, had Kizer as the week one winner from TC among all 3 QB's and there have been other positive reports as well.though he did not perform too well in the scrimmage. Still far to early to tell with any of these rookie QB's.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

Kizer - 28
Trubisky - 25
Webb - 25
Mahomes - 24
Watson - 20

The problem with guys like Kizer is that you can't teach accuracy. I don't care what anyone says. If you haven't been accurate up to this point you're never going to be that accurate passer. So if you're running an offense that is reliant on accurate passes kind of like Hue's offense requires (and Shanny's) that QB will never reach maximum potential.

Now if you were to put him in a Norv Turner type of offense. Where you're throwing the deep ball more often. Then he has a chance. But i don't care how big you are or how strong of a pass you can throw. If you aren't accurate you aregoing to be a wishy washy QB. See Joe Flacco. Kizer is a more athletic version of joe flacco. That punk just happened to get hot at the right time a few years ago. (see Eli manning)
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:
The problem with guys like Kizer is that you can't teach accuracy. I don't care what anyone says. If you haven't been accurate up to this point you're never going to be that accurate passer. So if you're running an offense that is reliant on accurate passes kind of like Hue's offense requires (and Shanny's) that QB will never reach maximum potential.

Now if you were to put him in a Norv Turner type of offense. Where you're throwing the deep ball more often. Then he has a chance. But i don't care how big you are or how strong of a pass you can throw. If you aren't accurate you aregoing to be a wishy washy QB. See Joe Flacco. Kizer is a more athletic version of joe flacco. That punk just happened to get hot at the right time a few years ago. (see Eli manning)

This is why I believe Kessler will win out. I'm not saying Kessler is a starting NFL QB. I'm just saying Kizer and Ostwiler(sp) seem to be less able to read and make accurate throws.
Makes me sick that Shanahan and Lynch didn't get the kid. He's already better than the garbage we have on this roster with only 1 preseason game against 2nd/3rd string scrubs in his belt.

Cannot wait until this crap regime is out. I wanted this dude back in April soo bad and seeing his poise, accuracy in the pocket yesterday reminded me of Luck/Peyton. Makes me sick that this FO elected to tank a season for no good reason.

Guarantee you, Kizer is the truth. Every week you will see it.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by awp8912:
Makes me sick that Shanahan and Lynch didn't get the kid. He's already better than the garbage we have on this roster with only 1 preseason game against 2nd/3rd string scrubs in his belt.

Cannot wait until this crap regime is out. I wanted this dude back in April soo bad and seeing his poise, accuracy in the pocket yesterday reminded me of Luck/Peyton. Makes me sick that this FO elected to tank a season for no good reason.

Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by awp8912:

/
I'm also sick we let Blaine Gabbert go. Anyone see him last week? He's become unstoppable.

Originally posted by Heroism:
I'm also sick we let Blaine Gabbert go. Anyone see him last week? He's become unstoppable.

Nice try.

"Can't teach an old dog new tricks"

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day"

But glad I quoted you for the future.
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
I don't understand why people are so against Kizer at this point. 2015 Kizer would've been the best QB in this draft and lots of this year were not on him (coach, lack of cast, etc.). I understand there are concerns but such a low risk given the potential reward. If Kyle likes him then this should be a slam dunk pick. We can get him for less than what the Bears gave us to move up 1 spot.

Really wishing we pulled the trigger on Kizer- could've had him just by packaging our two 3rd round picks. Feel like we're putting a ton of eggs in one basket (Kirk Cousins next year). Not hating on the Niners as many qb needy teams passed but hate NFL groupthink.

Don't understand how teams give up so much for the "Top QB" in a draft yet let talents who are marginally lesser prospects free fall. Feel like this happens every year of a once projected high first rounder and teams end up kicking themselves for it (ex. Kirk Cousins, AJ McCarron, Dak Prescott).

Take player eval out of the equation and just think statistically if you burned a 3rd rounder on that falling qb every year until you nailed your odds of a franchise qb are much greater than packaging 2 whole drafts to grab someone at the top (unless it's a Darnold/Luck type talent). Better to take more swings on qb's with the tools who have shown flashes of a QB1.
[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Aug 11, 2017 at 4:50 PM ]
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Kizer has always been my number 1 qb. Not sure why so many people would be shocked if he was the first qb. His 2015 tape is phenomenal and his 2016 tape was phenomenal for about 4 games. Yes he hit a wall and struggled through a few games, but take away the hurricane game and 2 which IMO were the result of his coach and supporting cast (OL/WR's) and I only see 1-2 games in which he doesn't look like a surefire first round pick.

He obviously has more tools than any qb in the draft, but what stands out to me is the tape. Even in games he struggled when you actually watch him, not the outcome of the play, he pretty consistently impressed in the uncoachable areas. He very effectively manipulated and climbed the pocket to buy time while keeping eyes downfield, he hit on throws at all areas on the field (including well covered receivers), he took shots rather than padded his completion percentage, and every game went through multiple progressions on several occasions with a cluttered pocket. At times he was hesitant and didn't throw with anticipation but part of that was the fault of Brian Kelly who idiotically would bench him for throwing a single pick so clearly ingrained in him to play it safe which will naturally have you second guessing anticipation throws.

While the outcome may have been better with Trubisky and Watson, to me they rarely if ever showed the above. Part of it was playing in a system. Part of it was playing with a far superior supporting cast. But another part of it was that on the few occasions they were pressured, they tended to scramble into rather than avoid pressure (or in Trubisky's case roll back 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage).

Just my opinion, but based on what I've seen, I believe that in the right situation Kizer will be a pro bowl qb and has the traits to be just as good as a Dak Prescott or Ben Roethlesberger if developed right.

Kizer about to make many QB needy GMs look stupid
Share 49ersWebzone