There are 218 users in the forums

Patrick Mahomes QB

I think Shanahan will advise Lynch he want Mahomes...a secondary guy would be Webb. The reason for that extends beyond both QB's physical tools...they were both coached by Kliff Kingsbury, TT's head coach. Webb played his senior season at Cal, but his primary coaching was from KK. Kingsbury has shown an ability to develop QB's...he hasn't received that much attention for it yet, but I feel he's about to, and deservedly so.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I think Shanahan will advise Lynch he want Mahomes...a secondary guy would be Webb. The reason for that extends beyond both QB's physical tools...they were both coached by Kliff Kingsbury, TT's head coach. Webb played his senior season at Cal, but his primary coaching was from KK. Kingsbury has shown an ability to develop QB's...he hasn't received that much attention for it yet, but I feel he's about to, and deservedly so.

I like Mahomes and I could be wrong, but I don't think he's the type of quarterback Shanahan would want. He has horrible mechanics and footwork. In Shanny's offense its more than just a strong arm and it's all timing and the drop backs need to be on point in order for him and the offense to be successful.
Originally posted by Ninerblood:
I like Mahomes and I could be wrong, but I don't think he's the type of quarterback Shanahan would want. He has horrible mechanics and footwork. In Shanny's offense its more than just a strong arm and it's all timing and the drop backs need to be on point in order for him and the offense to be successful.

Yes but per KS comments he values a natural thrower most and Mahomes is the best natural thrower in draft. I believe KS said there were only 6-7 in the world, that says a lot about his priority
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Yes but per KS comments he values a natural thrower most and Mahomes is the best natural thrower in draft. I believe KS said there were only 6-7 in the world, that says a lot about his priority

You're right he did say that, but can he fix the rest of his deficiencies in order to be successful in that offense? I guess we'll see.
Well if Mahomes is the qb of choice, I would think the Niners would give up a 4th or 5th round pick to move up from pick 34 to pick 29-32, getting him in the first round would give the 9ers the chance at a fifth year option, something very valuable for a development qb.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Well if Mahomes is the qb of choice, I would think the Niners would give up a 4th or 5th round pick to move up from pick 34 to pick 29-32, getting him in the first round would give the 9ers the chance at a fifth year option, something very valuable for a development qb.

With all the buzz around this kid, and if he at least flashes at the combine, he may not be available then.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Kingsbury has shown an ability to develop QB's....

Lol. No. Who has he developed? Case Keenum? Mahomes looks like pretty much every other generic Air Raid passer that Texas Tech has had over the past couple decades, just with absurd physical gifts. Unless you are going to credit Kingsbury for giving him a strong arm, agility or a father who played professional sports, I am not seeing what he has developed exactly. Mahomes is still very raw.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 23, 2017 at 9:38 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I unfortunately I haven't had the chance to really watch Mahomes, but what makes him any different than Bryce Petty? It's just a gut evaluation, but I see a lot of parallels there.

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Yes, but define what KS means by natural thrower? Not you, but KS. That there in lies the key.
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by jersey49er:
I can't wait until after the workouts just to have a better idea where he is projected to land..a lot of ppl love him and a lot hate him, And both sides have valid points why or why not he's worth a high pick, I've been intrigued by this kid since last year..seems like he's the biggest question mark going into the combine this year, at least on this site..going to be fun to watch..

I don't think anyone hates him per see. But some do not think he merits a prime draft pick to get him, particularly one as prime as #2. I think everyone with even a semblance of football knowledge sees the potential, and the talent. But plenty of those types of guys have been a bust too.

Yeah I agree, and honestly he's becoming my fav QB in this draft but I also understand there is a chance he could never develop his game enough to succeed in the league..I'm just going to enjoy the ride and hope he doesn't end up with the cards bc I'd hate for him to develop into what a lot think he could be abd have to face him 2 times a year lol

With the development, part of that is on the player themselves and a part of it is on the coaches. If coaches are patient enough to let him sit, and by sit I mean all of 2017 and the better part of 2018 (if not all) before letting him start, they may have something. Aaron Rodgers didn't even need to sit coming out in 2005, but being in that spot for so long, he was ready to go back 2008. I do not think we need to wait that long, but I'm ok with giving a prospect 2 years of time to sit, even if it's a high second round pick, if the outcome is a potential franchise QB with a higher ceiling than the 2-3 prospects rated ahead of him.

On another note, and anyone can answer this, was Steve Young coming from Tampa the ideal WCO prospect?
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I unfortunately I haven't had the chance to really watch Mahomes, but what makes him any different than Bryce Petty? It's just a gut evaluation, but I see a lot of parallels there.

Your gut evaluation is the worst comparison I've ever read on this forum. Completely off.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:

Your gut evaluation is the worst comparison I've ever read on this forum. Completely off.

Fair enough, like I said I didn't get to see him play much. That was just a first impression. Can you please expand upon your statement to explain why Mahomes is a better prospect? I want to know what I'm missing.
Fair enough, like I said I didn't get to see him play much. That was just a first impression. Can you please expand upon your statement to explain why Mahomes is a better prospect? I want to know what I'm missing.

Mahomes has terrible mechanics and footwork but still has a rocket arm with crazy accuracy. His future coach will have a lot of work to do, if Mahomes has a good head on his shoulders then they are fixable problems. Petty had the same bad mechanics but he didn't have anywhere near the arm strength or accuracy on deep passes. Petty would crumble anytime he got pressure while Mahomes would extend plays with his feet or eat a hard hit while making an accurate throw 40 yards downfield.
Share 49ersWebzone