LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

JT Barrett is as good as Deshawn Watson

Originally posted by TheRambler:
I can play the quote game too!

I asked quarterback guru George Whitfield about Barrett at the NFL Combine in February. Whitfield's habit, as with someone like Jon Gruden, is to effusively praise any quarterback he's discussing.

Keep that in mind. But he said Barrett makes it in the NFL.

"No question," Whitfield said.

And then he brought up Wilson.

"His temperament, his acumen, his ability to assess, his intangibles are off the charts," Whitfield told cleveland.com. "I think he's a little bit bigger than Russell Wilson, but I think he'll have a lot of that Russell Wilson feel about him."

Mind you, I disagree with OP that he is a 1st round option. But between 3 and 5 he would be a great value IMHO.

Quick, find me something negative that Whitfield has ever said about ANY quarterback.

Barrett is a fine college player, I just don't see many traits that make him a good option at the NFL level and there is no comparison between him and Russell Wilson in terms of talent. Wilson is a guy who would have been a 1st rounder had he just been a few inches taller. Played in a pro style offense at Wisconsin, had far better arm strength and footwork, you might as well compare Mike Glennon to Big Ben.
Whoa, how did I miss this thread? I have been the biggest fanboy of #BADNEWSBARRETT since his freshman year.

First off, there are a lot of ignant posts in this thread.

Second, I think Barrett (if he comes out) is projected as a 2nd-3rd rounder right now. He is probably only 5'11 so he may fall a little more.

The reason I'm a huge fan of his and believe he will be a good NFL player is:

1) he throws with anticipation. I'm starting to believe you can't teach that
2) he easily goes through all his progressions and has since he was a freshman. I'm starting to believe you can't teach that either.
3) he is very accurate. Drops it in the bucket like a bawse.

Biggest problem he has is lack of deep arm strength, and that is something that prevents a lot of elite college QBs from being anything special in the NFL. See: Kellen Moore, all the Spurrier Florida QBs, Ken Dorsey, etc.

Dude might not be better than Emma Watson. Only OSU fans, and some dude who will work for him in the offseason seem to think he belongs in the NFL.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I can play the quote game too!

I asked quarterback guru George Whitfield about Barrett at the NFL Combine in February. Whitfield's habit, as with someone like Jon Gruden, is to effusively praise any quarterback he's discussing.

Keep that in mind. But he said Barrett makes it in the NFL.

"No question," Whitfield said.

And then he brought up Wilson.

"His temperament, his acumen, his ability to assess, his intangibles are off the charts," Whitfield told cleveland.com. "I think he's a little bit bigger than Russell Wilson, but I think he'll have a lot of that Russell Wilson feel about him."

Mind you, I disagree with OP that he is a 1st round option. But between 3 and 5 he would be a great value IMHO.

Quick, find me something negative that Whitfield has ever said about ANY quarterback.

Barrett is a fine college player, I just don't see many traits that make him a good option at the NFL level and there is no comparison between him and Russell Wilson in terms of talent. Wilson is a guy who would have been a 1st rounder had he just been a few inches taller. Played in a pro style offense at Wisconsin, had far better arm strength and footwork, you might as well compare Mike Glennon to Big Ben.

The Wilson comparison was largely about intangibles. Anyway, I've watched every snap of his college career and I still remember his freshman year swooning over Barrett going through his progressions like a bawse while Kap's career was imploding faster than he could get off his first read

FWIW, I was saying the same thing about Mr. Russell Wilson on these boards and there was a lot of criticism (too small, college QB, surrounded by NFL talent, etc). I don't think Barrett will be better than Russ, but lol at all the 7th round/UDFA projections. Google his NFL prospects and most people have him going in the middle rounds.

The absurdity of the OP also doesn't help my cause
Share 49ersWebzone