LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

If we get the 1st pick?

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

They lost a s**t ton of close games...Browns didn't have a QB drafted 2nd, there's a reason qbs get drafting in the top of draft most yrs because those teams drafting don't have qbs or teams move up to get one.

I'm not following what you said in this quote?

Browns needed a QB so why did they draft one?? Shoot they didn't draft one till the 3rd round, why is that??

Right now I'd say the biggest need on paper is pass rush, if Kap and Blaine play sub par they're still capable of going into the 2017 season as starters. At the same time you can add and release a veteran QB not to mention draft one in the 2nd round if the intention for him is to sit. Myles Garrett is one of those pass rushers you don't pass up, Garrett could start right away, Watson is someone you might want to sit for a year and if that's the case might as well let a 2nd round pick sit and learn.

It's the Browns who knows why they do things lol...they need help all over the place and the value they got for wentz might have been too much.

I'm cool with pass rush especially if Kap can step it up. If not qbs got to be the pick if we are in the spot to do it....not sure why Watson would have to sit playing chips offense?

We're gonna have to focus on the most important position in sports at some point and if we are picking high enough that's the time to do it.

Would be happy with Garrett or Watson but there are more good pass rushers coming out of this draft rhen qbs.

For one Watson would be stepping up to the NFL, Chip Kelly's offense is no longer gonna be a college offense (duh) with wide open targets like he's had in college. Let's not forget NFL defenses are far more complex and can adapt to a QB's tendencies in the blink of an eye (see Kap: and why he no longer runs over defenses with his legs). As much as you are Watson bias, no way he's ready to start, I'd also like to know if he's able to learn a NFL playbook as fast as a Jared Goff (I'm not saying Goff can, I'm just using Goff in comparison).

But even if the 49ers miss on their QB in the 2nd round or if Kap and Gabbert don't work out, there will always be a veteran QB that can be picked up in March to take the reigns for a year or two.....or three. Tell you something right now, I'm more worried about Ahmad Brooks and the rest of the pass rushers on the team than I am about Kap or Gabbert. If Baalke's conservative ass would've picked up Olivier Vernon I'd be thinking about the QB position in next years draft, then again Vernon and Garrett would be awesome too.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
lots of options, you just need to think outside of the box you call DeShaun Watson.

Sorry just looking at who would be the best fit to run chip offense and it's really not close when looking at the draft.

If Blaine and Kap continue to stink it up we are left with a 6th rd pick rookie and that's it come 2017...you find a winning QB you have a chance.

I hope Kap comes up big and we can go BPA but who knows...wayyyy to early to have a answer, I'm just looking at one of the best QB in college (even saban proclaimed that) right now as a possible choice.

Please don't ref: Saban, talking good about a player who you just beat is the norm, shoot even Mike Holmgren praised Ken Dorsey after beating the 9ers in 2005.

Then again Saban did say "in college" so I'm gonna have to agree, it's not like he said most NFL ready. Shoot, all of ESPN and their college analyst were hyping up Colt Brennan and the list goes on.
For one Watson would be stepping up to the NFL, Chip Kelly's offense is no longer gonna be a college offense (duh) with wide open targets like he's had in college. Let's not forget NFL defenses are far more complex and can adapt to a QB's tendencies in the blink of an eye (see Kap: and why he no longer runs over defenses with his legs). As much as you are Watson bias, no way he's ready to start, I'd also like to know if he's able to learn a NFL playbook as fast as a Jared Goff (I'm not saying Goff can, I'm just using Goff in comparison).

But even if the 49ers miss on their QB in the 2nd round or if Kap and Gabbert don't work out, there will always be a veteran QB that can be picked up in March to take the reigns for a year or two.....or three. Tell you something right now, I'm more worried about Ahmad Brooks and the rest of the pass rushers on the team than I am about Kap or Gabbert. If Baalke's conservative ass would've picked up Olivier Vernon I'd be thinking about the QB position in next years draft, then again Vernon and Garrett would be awesome too.

Chip runs a similar offense to Dabo...whatever you're saying about the NFL applies to every QB being draft ALONG with a pass rusher like Garrett as well. You think he'll be going against the same talent level at OL and the same offensive minds as in college?

I'm tired of not taking care of the most important position in sports...no more 2nd or 6th rd picks no more old replacements....the draft is chalk full of pass rushers next year and we have three young pass rushers outside of Brooks along with two very good DEs that can't get after the QB.

Myles would be a awesome player but I want the face of the franchise to be the QB not defense.
Please don't ref: Saban, talking good about a player who you just beat is the norm, shoot even Mike Holmgren praised Ken Dorsey after beating the 9ers in 2005.

Then again Saban did say "in college" so I'm gonna have to agree, it's not like he said most NFL ready. Shoot, all of ESPN and their college analyst were hyping up Colt Brennan and the list goes on.

how often does Saban toot the horn of any player especially one not on his team??

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/07/20/deshaun-watson-nick-saban-cam-newton-best-college-player

We are talking college players so I don't even know what you're talking about....most QBs coming out of college aren't NFL ready in today's game, this past draft it was Cook and where did he go? Golf who's never taking snaps under center and played in a offense that doesn't even come close to a pro offense went #1.

Chip's offense isn't a typical "pro style" offense anyway...there's no under the center snaps and there are a ton of read options and quick predetermined passes. Watson can deliver the ball like a NFL QB, he is smart, accurate, and we've been over the whole passes to wide open player stuff which isn't true he makes plenty of NFL caliber throws.

Let's see how it plays out hopefully Kap blows up and we don't have to worry about it.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Aug 4, 2016 at 12:13 PM ]
All mute, I know the topic is IF, but we are not going to get the first over all pick.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I, for one, am not in favor of trading back. We need a few elite level players. We need difference makers. Tired of drafting for depth.

Totally agree!
Originally posted by WildBill:
All mute, I know the topic is IF, but we are not going to get the first over all pick.

You mean moot not mute, and we have one of the best chances to get the first overall pick out of any team in the NFL.

We aren't likely to get the #1 pick, but no team in the NFL has more than a ~30% chance of getting that pick (Browns are probably 30%, 49ers 20% or so). When you're widely viewed as one of the bottom 2-3 teams in the league, you have a chance at the #1 pick. We also have a chance at the #15 pick, but it's much smaller.
I think we could get Watson, but just think about the overall team if that happens.

If we can get a boatload of picks, we would still need O-line, WR, Pass rusher, and RB help.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I think we could get Watson, but just think about the overall team if that happens.

If we can get a boatload of picks, we would still need O-line, WR, Pass rusher, and RB help.

QB over all of that IMO....no more waiting on the position. WR and pass rush are both areas of need but if our DL can get pressure and all our young secondary starts to click that can help our OLBs a lot.

WR is a big issue but that can be looked at in FA IMO. QB NEEDS to be taken care of if our current group doesn't step up.
If you have the top pick you have to take the qb if there's a quality one available. I doubt we will Chip's offenses are too good for that. As of now I don't want Watson but if we're 2-14 and still have a bottom tier o yeah you take the qb.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Aug 12, 2016 at 9:40 PM ]

If we get the top pick, it means that both Kap and Blaine most likely failed miserably. If one of them play even "good", we won't have pick #1.
We have a great shot at getting the #1 QB in the draft
Originally posted by glorydayz:

QB over all of that IMO....no more waiting on the position. WR and pass rush are both areas of need but if our DL can get pressure and all our young secondary starts to click that can help our OLBs a lot.

WR is a big issue but that can be looked at in FA IMO. QB NEEDS to be taken care of if our current group doesn't step up.

This is the way I see it.

If Kap and Gabbert totally blow it next season and we have a top 3 pick, I'd be very, very tempted to take Watson and then sign a key WR in free agency. Boom. Offense suddenly looks good on paper.

But of course Garrett is hard to pass up as well.

Personally though, I think this is a pipe dream. I know ESPN has us ranked last but I just don't see this team drafting that high. I see 5-6 wins this year. We'd have to have a 2011 Colts type season to get Watson or Garrett, which would be a pain to sit through.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Who knows how Hyde is going to perform, we may take Fournette if he comes out
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
We have a great shot at getting the #1 QB in the draft

I'm worried that the if RGIII experiment doesn't work out in CLE then they will go after a QB next year with enough ammo to either trade up ahead of us or just lose more games.
Share 49ersWebzone