LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 290 users in the forums

If we get the 1st pick?

If we get the first pick I don't think we should take Watson and here's my reason:
1. Watson is a great runner but I don't think he has an NFL arm. Most of his throws are wide open. I didn't see a lot of him throwing the ball into tight spots! I think he's going to be injury prone running the ball in the NFL.
2. We could trade down and grab a boatload of extra picks. If the Browns hav e the 2nd or 3rd pick they would be willing to deal some of their extra picks to get a franchise QB.
3. Myles Garrett is the best player in the draft and would be a perfect fit for a 3/4 OLB.
4. If we had to deal down further we would have a shot at a franchise tackle or Juju Smith which would fit us better.
5. We would have our choice of the 2nd round qbs or RBs which is going to be deep next season.
if watson and garrett have stellar years again...it will definitely be between the two. I think they are both too good to trade away the pick.

My pick would be to grab Garrett. He is just amazing! pair him up with Lynch and having Armstead/Williams/Buckner in the front and throw in Bowman, our defense will wreak havoc on any offense no matter how good their O-line is
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Myles Garett without even blinking or trade down if it's for a kings ransom. It should be a decent draft for edge rushers so it wouldn't hurt if they traded down.
Originally posted by SFBuckeye:
If we get the first pick I don't think we should take Watson and here's my reason:
1. Watson is a great runner but I don't think he has an NFL arm. Most of his throws are wide open. I didn't see a lot of him throwing the ball into tight spots! I think he's going to be injury prone running the ball in the NFL.
2. We could trade down and grab a boatload of extra picks. If the Browns hav e the 2nd or 3rd pick they would be willing to deal some of their extra picks to get a franchise QB.
3. Myles Garrett is the best player in the draft and would be a perfect fit for a 3/4 OLB.
4. If we had to deal down further we would have a shot at a franchise tackle or Juju Smith which would fit us better.
5. We would have our choice of the 2nd round qbs or RBs which is going to be deep next season.

I mean a lot of these passes were NFL passes against a top 2 defense.

dude looks like a bigger Russel Wilson out there.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Myles Garett without even blinking or trade down if it's for a kings ransom. It should be a decent draft for edge rushers so it wouldn't hurt if they traded down.

This. All day.
Myles Garett without even blinking or trade down if it's for a kings ransom.

This.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
This. All day.

Dudes a stud and won't hate but we are gonna need a QB and if we are in the range to get Watson you do it....there are a lot of solid pass rushers coming into this draft IMO.

Watson in the 1st, mccaffrey in the 2nd, fields in the 3rd and sign Jeffery in FA boom!

Chip with Watson mccaffrey and Jeffery? Crazy
If we have the #1 pick, it's because we don't have a capable starting QB on the roster.

If teams offer us a boatload of picks for the #1 overall pick, it's likely because they see Watson as a franchise QB. If we (Baalke/Chip) think the same, odds are we keep the pick and draft him.

If Watson gets hurt or somehow his stock falls (which I can't see given his arm strength, accuracy, and production to date), then we also need a pass rusher, so Garrett is the pick.

Watson, McCaffrey, and Jeffery would be pretty sweet. Finish rebuilding the offensive line (C, RT, possibly OG opposite Garnett if Beadles sucks) and that's a solid offense.

I, for one, am not in favor of trading back. We need a few elite level players. We need difference makers. Tired of drafting for depth.

Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I, for one, am not in favor of trading back. We need a few elite level players. We need difference makers. Tired of drafting for depth.

Agreed.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
If we have the #1 pick, it's because we don't have a capable starting QB on the roster.

If teams offer us a boatload of picks for the #1 overall pick, it's likely because they see Watson as a franchise QB. If we (Baalke/Chip) think the same, odds are we keep the pick and draft him.

If Watson gets hurt or somehow his stock falls (which I can't see given his arm strength, accuracy, and production to date), then we also need a pass rusher, so Garrett is the pick.

Watson, McCaffrey, and Jeffery would be pretty sweet. Finish rebuilding the offensive line (C, RT, possibly OG opposite Garnett if Beadles sucks) and that's a solid offense.

This all day. I don't want to be bad enough to pick 1st overall, but if we are, then we need help at QB. I think Watson would be a monster in Kelly's offense. He has all of the necessary tools and an aggressive killer instinct. If Kap or Gabbert look amazing, then get hurt and we sh!t the bed over the rest of the season, then Garrett makes sense. I like the depth at edge defender in this draft a lot more than I like the depth at QB.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

Totally agree! If we are drafting top two or three it's because of QB play. All in on Watson!
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Totally agree! If we are drafting top two or three it's because of QB play. All in on Watson!

Can you imagine how much harder it would be to trade from 3 to 1, rather than 2 to 1. Trading down to 1, a team is still guaranteed Garrett. Trading to 3, you're pretty much accepting that someone else will get him. I could see a scenario where we win a game or 2 at the end of the year, probably because the other team misses a gimme fg...
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Can you imagine how much harder it would be to trade from 3 to 1, rather than 2 to 1. Trading down to 1, a team is still guaranteed Garrett. Trading to 3, you're pretty much accepting that someone else will get him. I could see a scenario where we win a game or 2 at the end of the year, probably because the other team misses a gimme fg...

Lol yeah right now those first two spots are money....a lot can happen and names will appear (wentz style). I think pass rusher is deeper this upcoming yr vs the past couple drafts, QB class is looking better than this past draft as well. Shoot I wouldn't hate fournette if we were drafting in the top 10...running behind Garnett

I still say all in on Watson, give up some future picks for this kid...russel Wilson 2.0 with chip Kelly oh baby id love that!
Share 49ersWebzone