LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Christian McCaffrey--Stanford

Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
Originally posted by YungAce:
If you guys are going to compare him to anyone it should be Reggie Bush. That's the type of impact he will have coming into the league. Barring any injuries, he should be a serviceable and dangerous change of pace RB. I think he'd be a great compliment to Hyde but we have bigger needs. If I'm going RB I'm going all out with Fournette. He makes Ezekiel Elliott look like Beanie Wells

Agree. Very similar skill set.

He wanted to be reggie bush growing up
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

I'd probably spend a 3rd or 4th-round pick on Reggie Bush at most if I were drafting again (thought he was vastly overrated in college). Great backup RB.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
I'd probably spend a 3rd or 4th-round pick on Reggie Bush at most if I were drafting again (thought he was vastly overrated in college). Great backup RB.

Said no one ever.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Said no one ever.

So you'd spend a higher pick on a who was middle-of-the-road as a rusher at his absolute best and not even starting material most of the time?

You can find running backs like that in the 3rd round.
So you'd spend a higher pick on a who was middle-of-the-road as a rusher at his absolute best and not even starting material most of the time?

You can find running backs like that in the 3rd round.

Doesn't change who Reggie Bush was as a college prospect. Seems a little absurd that you're assuming McCaffrey's career will mimic Reggie Bush'e career (or Darren Sproles' career) just because they have some similarities. As a prospect, Bush was better than Le'veon Bell. The difference is Bell got better after entering the league (cut weight, got much faster and quicker).

You have a very selective memory (are delusional) if you think you wouldn't have picked Bush in the first 3 rounds when he was coming out of college.
Originally posted by harryj:
Hundley was seen as possible 1 overall into that year he was considered a major disspointment that season

What??? I didn't see a single human on planet earth say Hundley would go #1 overall. He was consistently seen as a 2nd rounder to 6th rounder (I though he was useless).

i said dark horse #1 overall because he was faster than mariota and had bigger arm than winston - he was seen as kap 2.0

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-draft-watch--2015-mock-draft-1-0-lands-mariota--winston-up-high-195046920.html - has him at 12

https://fansided.com/2014/09/29/2015-nfl-mock-draft-way-early-edition/6/ @5
http://thebiglead.com/2014/05/12/2015-nfl-mock-draft-one-year-before-it-happens-with-quarterbacks-at-the-top/@2
http://gamedayr.com/sports/todd-mcshay-2015-nfl-mock-draft-107317/ mcshay had him at 15

and these were just first links i looked at i didnt cycle through and weed any out
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Doesn't change who Reggie Bush was as a college prospect. Seems a little absurd that you're assuming McCaffrey's career will mimic Reggie Bush'e career (or Darren Sproles' career) just because they have some similarities. As a prospect, Bush was better than Le'veon Bell. The difference is Bell got better after entering the league (cut weight, got much faster and quicker).

You have a very selective memory (are delusional) if you think you wouldn't have picked Bush in the first 3 rounds when he was coming out of college.

1. I didn't make the Bush comparison; someone else did.
2. I said he could be a "poor man's Darren Sproles" not because they're similar in build or anything but because I think McCaffery will be used as a receiver a lot and won't be an every-down rusher because he's too small (unless he adds a good 15 pounds without losing speed).
3. I didn't say Bush "wouldn't have been" picked in the first 3 rounds. I knew he was going to be a top-5 pick. I also knew he was vastly overrated. LOOKING BACK, Bush's actual value was probably a 3rd rounder (which makes him at least a disappointment if not a bust).
4. Bush was not a better prospect than Laveon Bell. GMs just missed on those 2 prospects. It happens. Terrell Davis was still a better prospect than Curtis Enis (my '98 first-round bust pick) despite being picked much later in the draft.

1. I didn't make the Bush comparison; someone else did.
2. I said he could be a "poor man's Darren Sproles" not because they're similar in build or anything but because I think McCaffery will be used as a receiver a lot and won't be an every-down rusher because he's too small (unless he adds a good 15 pounds without losing speed).
3. I didn't say Bush "wouldn't have been" picked in the first 3 rounds. I knew he was going to be a top-5 pick. I also knew he was vastly overrated. LOOKING BACK, Bush's actual value was probably a 3rd rounder (which makes him at least a disappointment if not a bust).
4. Bush was not a better prospect than Laveon Bell. GMs just missed on those 2 prospects. It happens. Terrell Davis was still a better prospect than Curtis Enis (my '98 first-round bust pick) despite being picked much later in the draft.

I'm not sure that you understand that when players don't work out, sometimes it's not because they were bad prospects, but because they were in bad situations, had bad luck with injuries, had issues in their personal lives, etc. If you put Bush on a different team to start out his career, his entire career is different. Heck, even if the same team drafts him a round later (or earlier), his career may have turned out completely differently. Just because a player ends up with 3rd-4th round production doesn't mean they should have been a 3rd or 4th round prospect or that evaluators made a mistake.

I would take a guy with Bush's size, measurables, production, and tape in the first round any day. He displayed good vision at times and had elite athleticism without issues off the field or a history of injuries. Some of his success was due to USC's dominant offensive line, but Bush was very explosive and elusive in the open field. One of the reasons he never developed into a special player is that he had a number of leg injuries early in his career which took away some of his athleticism. Despite all those injuries, he still put together two solid seasons in Miami and another one in Detroit.

Bush as a prospect has fewer red flags than Derrick Henry - Henry is terrible at making people miss in the backfield, also benefited from playing behind an elite offensive line, doesn't break a ton of tackles despite his size, and had a very heavy workload last year (406 touches to Bush's 237 his junior year). He also isn't as accomplished of a receiver and isn't great in pass protection. The only thing he has going for him over Bush is his size, but being 6'3 isn't necessarily an advantage at RB because he's a bigger target for tacklers, he can't hide behind blockers as easily, and he's putting a lot more pressure on his joints. None of this is to say that Henry can't have a better career than Bush has had though.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-why-derrick-henry-shouldnt-win-the-heisman-trophy/

Bush's injury history:
http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/injury-predictor/player/7751

Bush fractured his right fibula while recovering his own fumbled punt in week 2. He missed 8 games in the season as a result

Bush injured his knee in practice. The nature of the injury wasn't disclosed but he missed 2 games as a result

Bush pulled his calf and missed the preseason games as a result

Bush had microfracture surgery on his left knee after it was determined he had very little cartilage left and was resulting in bone rubbing on bone. He reported swelling in his knee when he first got to training camp in August '09

Bush tore his meniscus in week 6 and missed 6 more games after he had to have arthroscopic surgery to fix the cartilage

Bush sprained his left MCL and was placed on IR to end his season in week 15.

Bush tore his PCL in week 12 and missed the final 4 games of the season.
I'm not sure that you understand that when players don't work out, sometimes it's not because they were bad prospects, but because they were in bad situations

That's not gonna fly. He played for 3 different teams not counting the 49ers, and he was never the kind of player people thought he'd be (he was exactly what I thought he'd be though). And he played 43 out of his first 48 games, which is plenty of time to prove you're a dominant player if you really are one.

As far as Derrick Henry goes, he's a different kind of 'back than Bush. You can't talk about him not being as nimble as Bush if you don't talk about how Henry is FAR more powerful than Bush ever was. Neither one is the kind of guy I'd want, but I'd take Henry if I were looking for a starter (if I were looking for a change-of-pace 'back, I'd want Bush).

They did that sports science thing, and Henry ran through the heavy bags faster than anyone in the past 4 drafts if memory serves.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on May 25, 2016 at 10:53 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
Originally posted by YungAce:
If you guys are going to compare him to anyone it should be Reggie Bush. That's the type of impact he will have coming into the league. Barring any injuries, he should be a serviceable and dangerous change of pace RB. I think he'd be a great compliment to Hyde but we have bigger needs. If I'm going RB I'm going all out with Fournette. He makes Ezekiel Elliott look like Beanie Wells

Agree. Very similar skill set.

Just wanted to bang KK.

I'm not sure that you understand that when players don't work out, sometimes it's not because they were bad prospects, but because they were in bad situations, had bad luck with injuries, had issues in their personal lives, etc. If you put Bush on a different team to start out his career, his entire career is different. Heck, even if the same team drafts him a round later (or earlier), his career may have turned out completely differently. Just because a player ends up with 3rd-4th round production doesn't mean they should have been a 3rd or 4th round prospect or that evaluators made a mistake.

I would take a guy with Bush's size, measurables, production, and tape in the first round any day. He displayed good vision at times and had elite athleticism without issues off the field or a history of injuries. Some of his success was due to USC's dominant offensive line, but Bush was very explosive and elusive in the open field. One of the reasons he never developed into a special player is that he had a number of leg injuries early in his career which took away some of his athleticism. Despite all those injuries, he still put together two solid seasons in Miami and another one in Detroit.

Bush as a prospect has fewer red flags than Derrick Henry - Henry is terrible at making people miss in the backfield, also benefited from playing behind an elite offensive line, doesn't break a ton of tackles despite his size, and had a very heavy workload last year (406 touches to Bush's 237 his junior year). He also isn't as accomplished of a receiver and isn't great in pass protection. The only thing he has going for him over Bush is his size, but being 6'3 isn't necessarily an advantage at RB because he's a bigger target for tacklers, he can't hide behind blockers as easily, and he's putting a lot more pressure on his joints. None of this is to say that Henry can't have a better career than Bush has had though.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-why-derrick-henry-shouldnt-win-the-heisman-trophy/

Bush's injury history:
http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/injury-predictor/player/7751

Bush fractured his right fibula while recovering his own fumbled punt in week 2. He missed 8 games in the season as a result

Bush injured his knee in practice. The nature of the injury wasn't disclosed but he missed 2 games as a result

Bush pulled his calf and missed the preseason games as a result

Bush had microfracture surgery on his left knee after it was determined he had very little cartilage left and was resulting in bone rubbing on bone. He reported swelling in his knee when he first got to training camp in August '09

Bush tore his meniscus in week 6 and missed 6 more games after he had to have arthroscopic surgery to fix the cartilage

Bush sprained his left MCL and was placed on IR to end his season in week 15.

Bush tore his PCL in week 12 and missed the final 4 games of the season.

Yeah it sucks Reggie Bush struggled with injuries. I don't think he was a top 5 pick but he was certainly worth a high 1st round pick. He still had a respectable career despite spending most of his team not designed to run the ball well and his injuries.
  • Homer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Yeah it sucks Reggie Bush struggled with injuries. I don't think he was a top 5 pick but he was certainly worth a high 1st round pick. He still had a respectable career despite spending most of his team not designed to run the ball well and his injuries.

I loved Bush, but I vividly remember many people online comparing him to Eric Metcalf before the draft. Looking back at their careers, it was a great comp. Bush is listed under the "similar players" section of Metcalfs page on pfref.com.
Originally posted by dsmith_49erz:
I see him as a N.E. Patriot

+1... it just seems like such a great fit.

Has the potential to have a great career if teams use him right.

His build doesn't concern me, he appears sturdy & runs compact. I see nothing fragile about him.
Like this

http://www.knbr.com/2016/09/16/49ers-scouting-stanford-rb-christian-mccaffrey-report/
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Like this

http://www.knbr.com/2016/09/16/49ers-scouting-stanford-rb-christian-mccaffrey-report/

This is the guy we need. Would be perfect for Chip's offense.
Share 49ersWebzone