LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 324 users in the forums

Christian McCaffrey--Stanford

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by frankieuc68:
I love this kid in college. How do you guys see him do in the NFL?

Poor man's Darren Sproles?

Kinda small to be an every-down 'back.

6 foot 200 pounds is small.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Yeah.

Look at the RB's that are tops in carries. If they are 6'0, they are usually at 220lbs+, not at 200lbs.

McAffrey, to be an every-down back, would need to be able to put on 15-20lbs. Right now I'd say size wise he compares to Ronnie Hillman.

Comparing McAffrey to Sproles is pretty ridiculous. McAfferey has 5-6 inches on Sproles.

I'd expect McAffrey to be drafted in the 3rd, similar to Hillman.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
He's already over 200... He's likely to go in the first round if he measures at 210 and keeps his speed/quickness. Not every RB had to be Adrian Peterson's size or bigger coming out to be successful in the NFL (Peterson was 217 in college).

1st round? Its certainly possible but not based on what he has done so far in his career. He looks like a 3rd rounder, maybe 2nd rounder right now.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
1st round? Its certainly possible but not based on what he has done so far in his career. He looks like a 3rd rounder, maybe 2nd rounder right now.

Matt Millers big board:

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Yeah.

Look at the RB's that are tops in carries. If they are 6'0, they are usually at 220lbs+, not at 200lbs.

McAffrey, to be an every-down back, would need to be able to put on 15-20lbs. Right now I'd say size wise he compares to Ronnie Hillman.

Comparing McAffrey to Sproles is pretty ridiculous. McAfferey has 5-6 inches on Sproles.

Keep in mind the kid is only 19 or 20 and has two more years to develop his body before the draft or a real NFL game. Btw Chris Johnson, Terrell Davis, Tiki Barber, Curtis Martin and so on were or are the same size or smaller than a young McAfferey. 6'0" 200 pounds is more than sufficient to be a every down back in the NFL, not to mention is can line up as a slot receiver too.

McAfferey will be a top 10 pick.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Teams aren't going to draft McCaffrey in the first 2 rounds to be a poor man's Darren Sproles. He's a better NFL draft prospect than Derrick Henry was last year. His quickness translates and he has better long speed than people realize. Stanford coaches have said he runs a laser timed 4.50 which translates to around a 4.4 at the combine (hand-timed start) and he looks around that fast on the field. He'll be 210 by the combine.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/stanford-cardinal-christian-mccaffrey-rb-father-ed-david-shaw-mandel-101415

He's a slightly less explosive Reggie Bush to me, but he runs with more of a chip on his shoulder. He may not be a bell cow back, but he's a playmaker and could probably line up in the slot at times in the pros. I don't think he's far off from Elliott as a prospect. This RB class is loaded, so a very good RB could be there at the top of the 2nd round.

It's too early to call this, but I'd be surprised if Garnett, Watson, and Fournette aren't the top 3 picks if they stay healthy. Fournette is almost an Adrian Peterson clone (bigger, maybe not quite as fast).

Combines are not hand timed-their may be scouts and gms that hand time, However, the combine is all electronic.
poormans LMJ
I agree not your typical bell cow type but more like jack of all trades type to me. Can run, can line up all over the field, special teams returner etc.Gordie Lauckbaum anyone? Great college player in the 80s, same size, played all over the field,but didn't translate in the pros. If put in the right situation, maybe he has a chance to be a very good player.

You're right; that's not the best comparison (hence the question mark). I think he'll end up being used similarly to Sproles though, just not as effectively. He'll catch a lot of passes & split out wide every once in a while.

But if he doesn't add some weight I don't see him as an every-down 'back. And there's no guarantee he'll be as effective if he adds weight anyway.

...Then there's the polar opposite of him at Georgia: Nick Chubb. Dude fits a 1960's Packers' offense perfectly.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on May 23, 2016 at 2:59 PM ]
If you guys are going to compare him to anyone it should be Reggie Bush. That's the type of impact he will have coming into the league. Barring any injuries, he should be a serviceable and dangerous change of pace RB. I think he'd be a great compliment to Hyde but we have bigger needs. If I'm going RB I'm going all out with Fournette. He makes Ezekiel Elliott look like Beanie Wells
[ Edited by YungAce on May 23, 2016 at 3:17 PM ]

Originally posted by YungAce:
He makes Ezekiel Elliott look like Beanie Wells

Fournette? I think that's taking it a bit far. Elliot is a stud. Almost on Todd Gurley's level of talent (nothing against Fournette of course).
[ Edited by NinerSickness on May 23, 2016 at 3:30 PM ]
Originally posted by WildBill:
Combines are not hand timed-their may be scouts and gms that hand time, However, the combine is all electronic.

Oops, missed the conversion. Sounds like it's been that way for 5 years now, but Chris Johnson's record 4.24 time was hand-started. Dri Archer has the fastest fully automated time.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25073644/nfl-combine-real-time-40s-to-be-used-for-first-time
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
He makes Ezekiel Elliott look like Beanie Wells

Fournette? I think that's taking it a bit far. Elliot is a stud. Almost on Todd Gurley's level of talent (nothing against Fournette of course).

Joking about the Fournette to Elliot comparisons but I do believe that Fournette is the superior and that he should be a draft target outside of solid quarterback prospects or garrett
If you guys are going to compare him to anyone it should be Reggie Bush. That's the type of impact he will have coming into the league. Barring any injuries, he should be a serviceable and dangerous change of pace RB. I think he'd be a great compliment to Hyde but we have bigger needs. If I'm going RB I'm going all out with Fournette. He makes Ezekiel Elliott look like Beanie Wells

Agree. Very similar skill set.
I would love to get him in the 2nd round or later. Should do well under kelly's offense.
Share 49ersWebzone