LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 138 users in the forums

Chad Kelly, QB, Ole Miss

Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Most of the guys you mentioned had problems that were not known prior to being drafted. Go back and look at all the high draft picks whom people were talking about as character risks. I found a lot more success stories than failure stories.

And Da'rick Rodgers wasn't eve drafted. Guys like Charles Rogers, however, didn't have huge character flags (at least not based on public knowledge). Their problems came as a surprise to everyone. People didn't know Underwood was a nut job.

And Randy Gregory is failing because he isn't any good, not because of character concerns.

Are you serious? They weren't known?
Just cause you didn't know didn't mean they weren't known.

Here's guys red flags before the draft I mentioned:
1. Aldon Smith - 1st rounder
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/14/report-aldon-smith-was-red-flagged-for-trouble-before-drafted/

2. Josh Gordon - 2nd Rounder
At Baylor fell asleep at Taco Bell, cops found marijuana, he later failed a drug testing and was suspended indefinitely. Transfered to Utah and couldn't stay clean.

3.Da'rick Rogers, ok don't want to include him. But you said Charles Rogers didn't have red flags before the draft? False.
Somehow the red flags were ignored: the two positive tests for marijuana early on at Michigan State, and a test at the NFL combine that indicated excess water, which the league considers a possible masking agent, in Rogers' system.
http://espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=090814/rogers

4. Maurice Clarett - 3rd rounder - to much to post. Just read about his time at OSU. Nothing but red flags.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Clarett

5. Dimitrius Underwood - 1st rounder - the warning signs were there. He missed more than half his senior season with an ankle injury when really most his teammates thought it was for another reason, a mental disorder.

6. Cecil Collins - 5th rounder - was dismissed from LSU for breaking and entering and failed drug tests

7. William Green - 1st rounder - suspended twice for marijuana while at BC.

8. Lawrence Phillips - 1st rounder - at Nebraska plead guilty for assault and vandalism, took money from an agent, than was arrested again for assault.

9. Randy Gregory - 2nd rounder - tested positive for marijuana repeatedly. And now suspensed for failed drug test.

Take away Collins and ever guy I mentioned was a high draft choice and had problems. And again that was off the top of my head. And there's still a ton others (Claude Wroten, Brandon Marshall although he finally cleaned up it seems, Santonio Holmes, Chris Henry, Pacman Jones, etc.).

Like I said previously, for every bad apple that turned it all around, there's twice as many that had red flags and continued doing whatever they wanted.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Are you serious? They weren't known?
Just cause you didn't know didn't mean they weren't known.

Here's guys red flags before the draft I mentioned:
1. Aldon Smith - 1st rounder
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/14/report-aldon-smith-was-red-flagged-for-trouble-before-drafted/

2. Josh Gordon - 2nd Rounder
At Baylor fell asleep at Taco Bell, cops found marijuana, he later failed a drug testing and was suspended indefinitely. Transfered to Utah and couldn't stay clean.

3.Da'rick Rogers, ok don't want to include him. But you said Charles Rogers didn't have red flags before the draft? False.

4. Maurice Clarett - 3rd rounder - to much to post. Just read about his time at OSU. Nothing but red flags.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Clarett

5. Dimitrius Underwood - 1st rounder - the warning signs were there. He missed more than half his senior season with an ankle injury when really most his teammates thought it was for another reason, a mental disorder.

6. Cecil Collins - 5th rounder - was dismissed from LSU for breaking and entering and failed drug tests

7. William Green - 1st rounder - suspended twice for marijuana while at BC.

8. Lawrence Phillips - 1st rounder - at Nebraska plead guilty for assault and vandalism, took money from an agent, than was arrested again for assault.

9. Randy Gregory - 2nd rounder - tested positive for marijuana repeatedly. And now suspensed for failed drug test.

Take away Collins and ever guy I mentioned was a high draft choice and had problems. And again that was off the top of my head. And there's still a ton others (Claude Wroten, Brandon Marshall although he finally cleaned up it seems, Santonio Holmes, Chris Henry, Pacman Jones, etc.).

Like I said previously, for every bad apple that turned it all around, there's twice as many that had red flags and continued doing whatever they wanted.

Most of the names you mentioned sucked at playing NFL football (called it early on w/ Gregory). Clarrett, Cecil Colins, Gregory... I don't know why you keep mentioning undrafted Da'rick Rodgers... Gordon & Aldon are the only names on there who were great players who failed because of off-field issues.

Meanwhile, guys like Sapp, Moss, Dez Bryant, Mathieu, Green-beckam, Janoris Jenkins, Desean Jackson, Jamal Lewis, Plaxico Burress, Shaun Ellis, Fred Smoot to a lesser extent early on, Lito Shappard (my bust pick that year for character reasons, and I was wrong), Terrell Suggs, Sean Taylor, Darnell Dockett, Santonio Holmes (probably), Marshawn Lynch, Rey Maualuga...

Do I need to go on? Usually, it's ability and ability alone that makes or breaks a player.
Just read Chad Kelly also played baseball. Bust.

Baseball seems to be the anti-quarterback.

Edit: my mistake. Someone posted something meaning he throws like he's throwing a baseball but didn't actually say that. He didn't play baseball.

So his career still has a chance.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on May 15, 2016 at 9:27 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Ryan Leaf 3.0......pass.

Was 2.0 Johnny Manziel?

Surprised nobody has done a "reality Show' on this clown yet.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Ryan Leaf 3.0......pass.

Was 2.0 Johnny Manziel?

Surprised nobody has done a "reality Show' on this clown yet.

I'm sure once all NFL ties are done, he will.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

Then again, I shouldn't be surprised by your evaluation given you repeatedly called Connor Cook the best QB in the 2015 draft class.

I think Watson is and should be considered the #1 prospect in the 2016 draft, better than any QB this past draft. Unless he completely blows chunks this season and falls apart, gets arrestedor suffers some sort of catastrophic injury, he will be the #1 pick next draft.

Totally.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jun 5, 2016 at 11:45 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Totally.

Partially touché, but I was thinking more along the lines of Chad Hutchison, Drew Henson, Quincy Carter (all 3 were on the Cowboys at the same time coincidentally), Chris Weinke, Brandon Weeden (another guy who played for Dallas), Jake Locker and many others.

Totally.

Partially touché, but I was thinking more along the lines of Chad Hutchison, Drew Henson, Quincy Carter (all 3 were on the Cowboys at the same time coincidentally), Chris Weinke, Brandon Weeden (another guy who played for Dallas), Jake Locker and many others.

Dan Marino, Troy Aikman, Kerry Collins , Mark Brunell, Ken Stabler, Joe Theismann, Archie Manning, Tom Brady
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Totally.

Dan Marino, Troy Aikman, Kerry Collins , Mark Brunell, Ken Stabler, Joe Theismann, Archie Manning, Tom Brady

Google searches obviously come up with famous NFL quarterbacks who also played baseball; reporters kind of ignore the ones who failed. Those 6 examples were just off the top of my head. In my observation, the baseball-playing QBs have typically turned out to be far worse than expected. But maybe I'm wrong; who knows?

Why are you still discussing baseball? Was Kelly even drafted by MLB?
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Why are you still discussing baseball? Was Kelly even drafted by MLB?

Someone on another forum erroneously posted that he played baseball, and my initial, knee-jerk reaction to that was, "Pass. Don't want" because QBs who played baseball, in my opinion, have a tendency to disappoint most of the time in recent years.

Turns out he doesn't play baseball, so it's a moot point.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Jun 6, 2016 at 5:00 PM ]
Here's a gem from this dude (per ESPN):

"I want to be remembered as the greatest quarterback that ever played."
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Jul 23, 2016 at 4:15 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Here's a gem from this dude (per ESPN):

"I want to be remembered as the greatest quarterback that ever played."

This gotta be Johnny Manziel's cousin....it gotta be.
He is an eminem wannabe clown. He honestly might have a negative IQ.
Share 49ersWebzone