There are 248 users in the forums

PFF'S 2016 NFL DRAFT GRADE FOR SANFRANCISCO 49ers

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/30/draft-2016-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams/

San Francisco 49ers, B+
1 (7) DeForest Buckner, DT, Oregon
1 (28) (from Kansas City) Joshua Garnett, G, Stanford
3 (68) Will Redmond, CB, Mississippi State
4 (133) Rashard Robinson, CB, LSU
5 (142) (from San Diego) Ronald Blair, DT, Appalachian State
5 (145) John Theus, OT, Georgia
5 (174) Fahn Cooper, OT, Ole Miss
6 (207) (from Denver) Jeff Driskel, QB, Louisiana Tech
6 (211) Kelvin Taylor, RB, Florida
6 (213) Aaron Burbridge, WR, Michigan State
7 (249) (from Kansas City) Prince Charles Iworah, CB, Western Kentucky

Day 1: One of the best picks in the draft, the 49ers took the No. 2 player on the PFF draft board in Buckner, a he happens to be a perfect fit for their 3-4 scheme. He's a disruptive presence against the run, grading at +29.8 last season (eighth in the class), while leading the nation with a +43.8 pass-rush grade. Buckner rarely came off the field for Oregon, playing more snaps than any interior defensive lineman in the nation and he was able to maintain his production throughout the season. San Francisco then traded back into the first round to secure the top run-blocking guard in the draft in Garnett. He is excellent on the move and despite some question marks about his pass protection, he should be a good fit in Chip Kelly's scheme.

Day 2: Redmond is a solid zone defender who is quick to read and break on the ball, although that aggressiveness can get him into trouble at times. His +1.6 coverage grade ranked No. 56 in the class.

Day 3: Robinson didn't play in 2015, but his length and speed made him a coveted mid-round option. Blair's +42.7 overall grade ranked 13th in the draft class, as he can make plays against the run and as a pass rusher though he has to get stronger at the point of attack in the run game. Driskel took a huge step forward this year for Louisiana Tech as his +22.0 passing grade ranked 11th in the class and his athleticism is a good fit for Chip Kelly's system. His former teammate at Florida, Kelvin Taylor, made the most of subpar blocking at Florida to finish with the No. 7 run grade in the class at +19.4. Burbridge doesn't separate well, but he can make contested catches and he caught 64.0 percent of his deep targets, fourth-best in the class.
This draft has a lot of promise!

I'll tel you hwat!
The important part of each draft is the early rounds. Occasionally reasonable players come from the later part but usually the later rounds are no more than depth. So I fail to understand the assessing of drafts. They really like Buckner, they like Garnett. They quite like Redmond. Having accepted that Buckner was "one of the best picks in the draft" how come there were at least 8 teams rated higher than ours? It really doesn't matter, for the most part, how the lower rounds are assessed. What matters are the players who will get on the field, and in particular the players who will get on the field early. The fact that other team's lower picks, who will mainly be bench warmers or get cut, were better than our bench warmers etc, has little relevance.
Originally posted by English:
The important part of each draft is the early rounds. Occasionally reasonable players come from the later part but usually the later rounds are no more than depth. So I fail to understand the assessing of drafts. They really like Buckner, they like Garnett. They quite like Redmond. Having accepted that Buckner was "one of the best picks in the draft" how come there were at least 8 teams rated higher than ours? It really doesn't matter, for the most part, how the lower rounds are assessed. What matters are the players who will get on the field, and in particular the players who will get on the field early. The fact that other team's lower picks, who will mainly be bench warmers or get cut, were better than our bench warmers etc, has little relevance.
Our first 4 picks have sky high potential!
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
'twas a good draft
And out of curiosity a guy called Lance Zierlein in NFL.com ranked us 22nd in this draft. Mind you he ranked KC 29th and the Rams 31st.
[ Edited by English on May 4, 2016 at 9:05 AM ]
And out of curiosity a guy called Lance Zierlein in NFL.com ranked us 22nd in this draft. Mind you he ranked KC 29th and the Rams 31st.

Mel Kiper graded us 32 out of 32. But that clown rarely gets anything right.

Great point. Also, the way I see it, other teams bench warmers may be more game ready right now than our later picks, but our later picks have the potential and attributes to be great. Robinson, Driskel and Prince come to mind. These other guys have pretty much hit their ceilings imo
Originally posted by ChipKelly:

Can you post the words from Kiper's grade? I can't believe we'd be dead last after taking Buckner and seeing what other teams did.

Yeah Mel hardly gets anything correct nowadays.

On the grade notes, I agree, I gave them a B+ on my website, only pick that was a bit high was Redmond, but that's due to his injury. Other than that I think we nailed on some great picks, and steals.

What would one expect. All that hairspray is like DDT on the brain
Originally posted by ltrain:

Can you post the words from Kiper's grade? I can't believe we'd be dead last after taking Buckner and seeing what other teams did.

I mean when has Mel ever been right? Not sure how he still has a job to be honest I think it's a positive that he gave us a bad grade to be honest, he's that bad lol.

The guy that compared JaMarcus Russell to John Elway and blasted the Colts for taking Marshall Faulk over Trent Dilfer thinks that the 49ers had a bad draft?

That is awesome news!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

The guy that compared JaMarcus Russell to John Elway and blasted the Colts for taking Marshall Faulk over Trent Dilfer thinks that the 49ers had a bad draft?

That is awesome news!

i think he said he has an arm like elway

and just fyi kiper had the most accurate mock draft of all writers apparently
Originally posted by harryj:
i think he said he has an arm like elway

and just fyi kiper had the most accurate mock draft of all writers apparently

Most accurate isnt saying a whole lot considering how off the mark these guys are.

As the chart above shows, Kiper and McShay have proven to be equally inefficient judges of talent over the past five years. Neither expert's rankings were a particularly good predictor of how a player would perform compared to the rest of his class. In fact, the average errors listed above suggest that the gurus' rankings are off by around 35 spots when compared to the player's actual performance.

harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com/2012/05/25/equally-inaccurate-an-analysis-of-mel-kiper-jr-and-todd-mcshays-draft-rankings/

In 2008, Kiper wisely ranked future bust Derrick Harvey 23rd—McShay had him 11th—but Kiper had fellow pass-rushing disaster Vernon Gholston 7th, compared to 15th for McShay. In 2009, both had the bust triumvirate of Aaron Curry, Michael Crabtree, and Jason Smith in their top four, but Kiper pegged Matthew Stafford at No. 3 while McShay had him at No. 7. McShay, however, wisely had both Clay Matthews and Hakeem Nicks in his Top 25, while Kiper had neither (but did, unlike McShay, include Percy Harvin). Finally, in 2010, Kiper, unlike McShay, smartly deemed Ndamukong Suh a better prospect than Gerald McCoy, but that success was immediately negated by his ranking of Jimmy Clausen at No. 4 overall (McShay, to his credit, did not feel Clausen was a top 25 talent).
Share 49ersWebzone