LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

MadDog49er 2016 Draft Review

Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Nice.. Agree. Robinson pick was dumb in the 4th, with his problems

Did you ever consider that his problems were the only reason the Niners got him that low?

Whom would you have rather had in the 4th than Robinson? Bear in mind, they couldn't trade that pick.

Without a doubt RB Ken Dixon who, if I'm not mistaken, was taken a few picks later
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Temecula49ersfan:
Thank you for all that you do MD.

This!

Agree...thanks Maddog. Always nice to read your analysis.

Originally posted by boast:
reportedly Baalke and O'neil dont believe some of those young corners we already have are a fit for Oneil's scheme.

Yes, I read that O'Neil is more agressive than many and needed CBs who could stick with their guy while he blitzed LBs or safeties. I really liked Acker last year but could see how a bit more speed could have led to more breakups and/or interceptions. Both Redmond and Robinson are somewhat faster than Acker. Reaser is a bit faster as well. But neither Robinson or Redmond seem to be big enough to bump effectively.
offtopic:
some QB-turned-WR prospect showed terrific footwork at the Senior Bowl? Could anyone tell me the name? Accidently forgot it. Thanks.
Originally posted by communist:
offtopic:
some QB-turned-WR prospect showed terrific footwork at the Senior Bowl? Could anyone tell me the name? Accidently forgot it. Thanks.

Braxton Miller?
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Then that speaks to poor drafting at the DB position if they don't fit any scheme. I may be wrong but neither of the 2 they just drafted are press corners either so not sure how that helps the overall CB cores ability to play press

I believe poor drafting is mostly a matter of poor luck (unless you're the Browns, in which case it seems either by design or divine malevolence). Like thoroughbreds, CBs and WRs are notoriously difficult to predict in terms of professional success (except for rare specimens like Calvin Johnson or Deion Sanders). The Niners corners all have good measurables and college production, but they range from quite good (Brock) to underachieving (Reaser). The only serious and obvious recent mistake the Niners made in the defensive backfield was not a CB, but a SS, Taylor Mays, who was drafted on Mike Singletary's insistence over Baalke's resistance. But other than Mays, even MadDog would be hard pressed to predict eactly how the various CBs' careers have progressed thus far.

If I have a problem with many of the players the Niners have drafted, it's that too many of them are quitters. This goes back to Glen Coffee and perhaps further, and extends through Anthony Davis and Chris Borland, most recently. But that may not be the result of bad drafting either, but bad luck. Or perhaps it's the prevailing zeitgeist of the San Francisco Bay Area that accounts for it. Just no way to tell.

I agree with you on the luck factor being a part of it. SF lucked out by getting Montana in the 3rd round, the Patriots did with Brady in the 6th and Seattle did with Wilson in the 3rd round.

Having said that, when stretched out of time it is fair to start asking about draft patterns emerging that haven't been successful. For example, under the previous Oakland Raiders regime they drafted athletes with measurables first and it resulted in a prolonged ineffectiveness. Fast forward and the current Raiders regime seems to be going for less risky picks and its actually paying off for them.

We've been drafting a lot of DB's lately so for Baalke's sake some of them better start panning out.
Awesome read. Thanks MD.

I agree with most of what you said. I like Burbridge and Taylor a little bit more than you. But thats it.

Great job man
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
offtopic:

Braxton Miller?

Yeah, thank you.
Can anyone explain to me the difference between LG and RG in ZBS? At the first glance, I don't see any.
Can anyone explain to me the difference between LG and RG in ZBS? At the first glance, I don't see any.

So tempted, but I resist... ......
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I'm listening.

Oh, on Counter and Lead, respectively, the LG has to pull. Is Beadles an effective pulling guard?
Wait, counter is not a ZBS-play, isn't it? I am confused
[ Edited by communist on May 5, 2016 at 4:05 PM ]

Braxton Miller
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I'm listening.

Oh, on Counter and Lead, respectively, the LG has to pull. Is Beadles an effective pulling guard?
Wait, counter is not a ZBS-play, isn't it? I am confused

Braxton Miller
Originally posted by strickac:

Braxton Miller
Originally posted by ChipKelly:
Awesome read. Thanks MD.

I agree with most of what you said. I like Burbridge and Taylor a little bit more than you. But thats it.

Great job man

Thanks. Burbridge will get every opportunity in this WR deficient roster
Great work MadDog49er
Share 49ersWebzone