LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

MadDog49er 2016 Draft Review

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Awesome. Thanks for the write-up, MD. Great work this year

In regards to Garnett, it will be interesting to see if he remains at LG or moves to RG. I think the assumption is he'll play RG since Beadles was signed to play LG, but wouldn't rule out a Garnett/Tiller combo either. Tiller came on last year, and along with Garnett, they are probably the two most adept interior run blockers on the team.

Im thinking Beadles may move, as he has NFL experience and may transition better there. Be nice to have him next to Staley, Left side secure, with inexperience on Right (like last year). Garnett next to Staley would work just as well, and Beadles on right would put some experience over there to help our new/rookie RT..Tiller did a remarkable job, and as a 3rd guard adds tremendous depth!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
6. Jeff Driskel- A grade- Count me in on Driskell as an excellent value pick here. I believe I graded him as the 5th or 6th best QB in this draft, and see plenty of upside. Very athletic, with a solid arm, and rebounded well at Louisiana Tech after playing at Florida. One of few QBs in this draft I believe have a shot to be an NFL starter. I thought he had a really solid Senior Bowl week, and has regained some momentum. Very good selection in the 6th round.

I totally agree.
Great write up, MD! What do you think the chances of Theus becoming our new Boone are? When we drafted him, that's what I envisioned; an OT if we need it but will make a name for himself as a Guard. I'm just not sold on his foot speed on the edge to be a quality T in the NFL. I was glad we followed that up with Cooper, who I am very high on at RT.
Originally posted by toppdogg32:

In regards to Garnett, it will be interesting to see if he remains at LG or moves to RG. I think the assumption is he'll play RG since Beadles was signed to play LG, but wouldn't rule out a Garnett/Tiller combo either. Tiller came on last year, and along with Garnett, they are probably the two most adept interior run blockers on the team.

Im thinking Beadles may move, as he has NFL experience and may transition better there. Be nice to have him next to Staley, Left side secure, with inexperience on Right (like last year). Garnett next to Staley would work just as well, and Beadles on right would put some experience over there to help our new/rookie RT..Tiller did a remarkable job, and as a 3rd guard adds tremendous depth!

Agree. I'm hoping Beadle slides to RG for that exact reason
Originally posted by toppdogg32:

Did you not see that Garnett played some RT, he is 6-5 317 pounds. Chip likes his OL to fly, so a right tackle that could move could be garnett.

LT Staley LG Beadles C Kilgore RG Tiller RT Garnett
I thought it was funny when all the "Draft experts slammed us for taking Garnett over Whitehair" and then whitehair didn't go til 28 picks later! I loved the pick. I didn't mind Redmond pick. But the Robinson pick threw me for a loop.
Nice.. Agree. Robinson pick was dumb in the 4th, with his problems, we could have easily gotten him with our 5th pick.
Well I wonder what the impetus was for drafting so many DB's this year after having spent heavily on them again last season. Scheme change? Missed draft picks from previous years? Salary structure timing (players coming up in FA in the next 2 years)? Regardless, the ones they took all look like swing for the fence type of selections.

Driskell is intriguing but his time in Florida really leaves a huge question mark about whether or not he's got rocks for brains. This is a guy who had multiple NFL level talents on that offense and took it to the toilet for a flush. You wonder how the level of competition is going to affect him.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on May 2, 2016 at 10:22 AM ]
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

4. Rashard Robinson- D grade- Back-to-back secondary players for Baalke, Robinson fits the length that the Niners have drafted recently. Tall with long arms, Robinson is razor thin at 171 pounds. This showed when he was only able to bench 5 times at his Pro Day, so strength is an issue he will have to address. Has been out of playing for nearly a year and a half, and showed little athleticism in his testing, ranking in the 3rd percentile. I just don't see much commitment to football, and that spells trouble in the hyper competitive NFL.

Cheers- MD

I think you're off base with Robinson. He might be only 171 pounds, but he plays aggressive, and has great length and speed. He's a tough kid from South Florida and he's only 20 years old.

If he wasn't dedicated to football, wouldn't he be out of shape for the combine and his pro day? Not sure why you think he isn't unathletic, he ran 4.49 at combine, and supposedly sub 4.4 at his Pro day. He might not be good at bench, but I don't need 30 reps from a CB. He was good enough to start at CB for LSU, and that says a lot. They've put out some decent DBs haven't they? Huge ceiling with Robinson, just gonna have to give him time.

https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/cb/

this is what he was reffering to athlethically speaking based off his numers hes bottom 3% of all CB athletically speaking
Originally posted by harryj:

4. Rashard Robinson- D grade- Back-to-back secondary players for Baalke, Robinson fits the length that the Niners have drafted recently. Tall with long arms, Robinson is razor thin at 171 pounds. This showed when he was only able to bench 5 times at his Pro Day, so strength is an issue he will have to address. Has been out of playing for nearly a year and a half, and showed little athleticism in his testing, ranking in the 3rd percentile. I just don't see much commitment to football, and that spells trouble in the hyper competitive NFL.

Cheers- MD

I think you're off base with Robinson. He might be only 171 pounds, but he plays aggressive, and has great length and speed. He's a tough kid from South Florida and he's only 20 years old.

If he wasn't dedicated to football, wouldn't he be out of shape for the combine and his pro day? Not sure why you think he isn't unathletic, he ran 4.49 at combine, and supposedly sub 4.4 at his Pro day. He might not be good at bench, but I don't need 30 reps from a CB. He was good enough to start at CB for LSU, and that says a lot. They've put out some decent DBs haven't they? Huge ceiling with Robinson, just gonna have to give him time.

https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/cb/

this is what he was reffering to athlethically speaking based off his numers hes bottom 3% of all CB athletically speaking

Whatever their criteria for "athletically speaking" is. I think MD's point is the same regardless of what one particular analytics metric spits out, and that is why take a risk on a boom or bust type of player when said player doesn't appear to have much "boom" in him.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on May 2, 2016 at 11:47 AM ]

The SPARQ formula takes into consider multiple forms of testing measurables: 40 time, 10 yard split, bench press, vertical jump, long jump, shuttle time, 3 cone time, and then puts it into a formula which spits out comparisons to former player, and where they fit athletically with existing NFL players at their position. Robinson's overall score was really low, and that is why he registered at the low percentile,
Originally posted by jreff22:
Any major surprises to you this year, with the whole draft?

I really like Keyarris Garrett, and drafted him in my draft, but he wasn't selected. The drafting of Billings much later than anticipated was a shock. Jaylon Smith selected before Jack was a real surprise.

The SPARQ formula takes into consider multiple forms of testing measurables: 40 time, 10 yard split, bench press, vertical jump, long jump, shuttle time, 3 cone time, and then puts it into a formula which spits out comparisons to former player, and where they fit athletically with existing NFL players at their position. Robinson's overall score was really low, and that is why he registered at the low percentile,

Oh so this has no base off of game film.
http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/4/27/11513928/trent-baalke-sparq-effective-versus-ineffective-draft-strategies

A good read on the subject from a 49ers lens.
Originally posted by Temecula49ersfan:
Thank you for all that you do MD.

This!
Share 49ersWebzone