There are 224 users in the forums

Draft take-aways

It"s all up to determination and hard work now..... Go Niners
I think we needed multiple DBs so that Kelly can run an effiecient practice. He is going to spread out and go uptempo. This requires a lot of DB's in order to run the ones and the twos at the same time.

His style can be taxing on defensive players during practice.

For this same reason we will need a bunch of olinemen and D-linemen. I just hope all of this works.
At least we got two hard working ,no non- sense starters..with some possible surprise starters. That is a good start for me..I put my faith, In finally having a good coaching staff to go forth and do good things....
Originally posted by highway49:
At least we got two hard working ,no non- sense starters..with some possible surprise starters. That is a good start for me..I put my faith, In finally having a good coaching staff to go forth and do good things....

This is a big "if" cause Kelly is no Jim Harbaugh!
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by highway49:

This is a big "if" cause Kelly is no Jim Harbaugh!

As we need player development that may be a good thing.
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Good post buddy.

There's not much to disagree with.

When we traded back into the 1st, I thought for sure that we were going to draft Jack.

If we would've drafted Bucker, and Jack, it would've been perfect.
If we drafted Jack, everyone would freak out due to missing of immediate impact and "All-ACL".
One of the more intelligent threads on the zone.
Originally posted by DASeiler49:
Originally posted by English:
I think we will pick up a couple come roster cut-down time. But I think the thing is, thanks to the last 2 head coaches and some of the coordinators, I don't think we really know what we already have on the roster. I am hoping that we have finally brought together a coaching team which can develop these young players and if we have, it could be a very interesting season.

Two to three starters out of this draft. The O line transformed and a D line to brag about. It may take time to bring it all together, but we do appear to be going in the right direction and despite the schedule strength I think this will show during the season. Looking for breakout years from various players. Tartt and Smelter for starters with others not far behind. Interested to see if Carradine can finally click.

One thing I think gets overlooked by many if the trolls you touch on here. All a GM can do is bring in talent. It's the coaching staffs job to develop that talent and integrate it into the scheme. I think Harbaugh & offensive staff and Tomsula really sucked at this. Hoping that Kelly can change this trend and get some of the picks from prior drafts to shine.

Yes and no to this idea. To show had a hand in developing a fantastic DL. Justin Smith was a guy who hadn't lived up to his potential in Cincy and Ray Mac was a guy with bad knees and no real position.

Harbaugh most certainly oversaw a time of great player development. Bruce Miller becoming a FB was considered crazy, Boone was a fat drunk, Alex Smith was the biggest bust in team history, Carlos Rogers was a cast-off, Culliver was a reach, and Goldson was nothing more than a hitter. Can Harbaugh take credit for all of them? Of course not, but he certainly facilitated a time of development for many players.

You could argue that many guys with talent came and went without developing or that most of these guys have fallen off since, but you can't argue with how they played under Harbaugh. I hope Chip Kelly and his staff can coach up these young guys, because that is the only way this rebuild works.
Originally posted by Jamison:
Yeah, the GM is there to bring in talent, which he did with Buckner and Garnnett, after that he choked. he could have easily managed to fill every position with the following picks.

1st 7 DeForest Buckner Oregon
1st 28 Joshua Garnnett Stanford

3rd 68 Joshua Perry ILB OSU
4th 133 Devontae Booker RB Utah
5th 142 Ronald Blair OLB West Virginia
5th 145 Kevin Hogan QB Stanford (backup)
5th 174 Fahn Cooper OT OLe MIss
6th 207 Maurice Canady CB Virginia
6th Charone Peake WR Clemson
6th 213 Kevon Seymour CB USC
7th 249 Joe Walker ILB Oregon

He would have addressed every position with better talent except Edge rusher, what with Buckner would have would have improved our pass rush from the outside by default. I give him a D on rounds 3-7.

Yes, that would have certainly given the team a new player at every position of need, but not necessarily improved the talent. Perhaps the guys you have picked there will all go on to be NFL caliber players, by the chances are slim. By drafting Redmond, Robinson, and Prince Charles, Baalke has increased the chances of at least one of those guys playing to or above their potential. I feel more comfortable about CB now even though we don't have idea who is going to start. Same goes for the OL. Garnett seems like a stud, but Cooper or Theus might surprise everyone. Baalke put numbers and chances behind a few positions rather than firing stray bullets. Time will tell if it works, but I see the logic.
[ Edited by Karma on May 2, 2016 at 5:51 PM ]
You win games in the trenches, so adding 5 lineman in the draft was a good thing. Arguably the best DL and OG in the draft. That's how you rebuild

#SuckforWatson
Originally posted by 94949er:
#SuckforWatson

#win-none4watson
The more I look at this draft, the more I like it. Time will tell.

I like the fact that both of our top picks wanted to be Niners. A positive attitude about being on the 49ers will help.
we built our last greatest team starting from the line out and im glad thats what were doing again cause our lines have deteriorated. we have so many damn DLmen i just hope they find a way to get all the good ones onto the field. he did good hitting the lines heavily an early with good players. rounds 3 an later idk. dont think we needed 3 CBs and 0 ILBs
also this is carradines last chance. dudes been on the team how many years now. we arent asking him to run routes or dissect defenses, he has one job an one job only tackle the f**king quarterback. if he cant do that after this many years goodbye
Share 49ersWebzone