There are 273 users in the forums

2017 Draft will be AWESOME!

Believe it or not we will be better next season too. It only takes 6 or 7 wins to put us outside the top 10. Last year it looked like we had 8 plays in our offense. It's going to tougher for teams to predict what Chip is going to do. All it takes is a few young players to step up to make us better.
B-Boy ain't going nowhere if there's someone that has seen it all without loosing his cards is Baalke.

Denise DeBartolo
John York
Paarag Marathe
Nolan
McCloughan
Alex Smith
Frank Gore
Patrick Willis
Vernon Davis
Justin Smith
Crabtree
Singletary
Jed York
Harbaugh
Kaepernick
Aldon Smith
Superbowl 47 loss
Levis Stadium
Tomsula
Chip Kelly

B-Boy ain't leaving
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Baalke isnt going anywhere, anyone thinking otherwise is being delusional. Based on his approach to the draft and FA, he seems like a guy who doesnt believe he is anywhere near the hot seat. I believe that both he and Kelly have two years to orient this team in the right direction and have them competing for the playoffs by 2018.

I think the next offseason will largely determine whether or not his contract gets renewed again.

i wouldnt agree with that

i think next year he will still be here but he will be on the hot seat depending how this season goes
Originally posted by harryj:
i wouldnt agree with that

i think next year he will still be here but he will be on the hot seat depending how this season goes

Would you say he is on the hot seat now? I dont believe so and he certainly hasnt acted as if he is. Short of a 1 or 2 win debacle, he'll be running the 2017 offseason.

Next offseason will determine whether he stays or goes. I think organization wide this is seen as a rebuilding year and a chance for Kelly to figure who does and doesnt work in his system. Starting in the 2017 season they will be expected to be a significantly improved team.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 2, 2016 at 11:38 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Baalke isnt going anywhere, anyone thinking otherwise is being delusional. Based on his approach to the draft and FA, he seems like a guy who doesnt believe he is anywhere near the hot seat. I believe that both he and Kelly have two years to orient this team in the right direction and have them competing for the playoffs by 2018.

I think the next offseason will largely determine whether or not his contract gets renewed again.

To begin with he is already on the hot seat. So, you don't think anyone will get fired if we go 4-12 or worse? Jed York will have no excuse having already fired Tomsula. Hey, a lot of people thought Tomsula would get 2 years too. Chip Kelly may get another year, but Baalke might have run out of time. It will also depend on how bad the situation may become during the season as the losses mount with regards to the media and fans.
Originally posted by Rascal:
To begin with he is already on the hot seat. So, you don't think anyone will get fired if we go 4-12 or worse? Jed York will have no excuse having already fired Tomsula. Hey, a lot of people thought Tomsula would get 2 years too. Chip Kelly may get another year, but Baalke might have run out of time. It will also depend on how bad the situation may become during the season as the losses mount with regards to the media and fans.

If they win 1 or 2 games, he might be in trouble, beyond that nothing about his approach this offseason has hinted at a guy worried about his job status. I think this is an expected rebuilding year and there will be a lot more emphasis on what happens next offseason.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Embarrassed to have the same name as you

• Rascal
  • Veteran
If they win 1 or 2 games, he might be in trouble, beyond that nothing about his approach this offseason has hinted at a guy worried about his job status. I think this is an expected rebuilding year and there will be a lot more emphasis on what happens next offseason.

Whatever he did or rather didn't do in this offseason doesn't hint anything. Jed York won't say a thing until the pressure mounts. May be he isn't worried, may be he doesn't care and believes he will find a job elsewhere even if gets fired. You said it yourself you believe we will lose more games than last year and will be drafting in the top 5 next year right? So, how many games do you think we will win then? So far the media has said 4. I don't think we will have to win just 1 or 2 games to get Baalke fired. The bar has already been set by Tomsula as in there is no way anyone can do any worse than Tomsula. The logic is simple, if you blame the 5-11 season on Tomsula, then some head will have to roll if you do even worse than that with supposedly a better HC. So, if is not the HC's fault, whose fault is it then? Why is the roster depleted of talent? Why is Kaepernick still here? Why do we not have a legit starting QB? Why did we not do anything during free agency? Why didn't we draft a franchise QB? It will have to be Baalke I am afraid.
[ Edited by Rascal on May 3, 2016 at 7:01 PM ]
Whatever he did or rather didn't do in this offseason has to hint anything. Jed York won't say a thing until the pressure mounts. May be he isn't worried, may be he doesn't care and believes he will find a job elsewhere even if gets fired. You said it yourself you believe we will lose more games than last year and will be drafting in the top 5 next year right? So, how many games do you think we will win then? So far the media has said 4. I don't think we will have to win just 1 or 2 games to get Baalke fired. The bar has already been set by Tomsula as in there is no way anyone can do any worse than Tomsula. The logic is simple, if you blame the 5-11 season on Tomsula, then some head will have to roll if you do even worse than that with supposedly a better HC. So, if is not the HC's fault, whose fault is it then? Why is the roster depleted of talent? Why is Kaepernick still here? Why do we not have a legit starting QB? Why did we not do anything during free agency? Why didn't we draft a franchise QB? It will have to be Baalke I am afraid.

I dont think you judge anyone based on Tomsula. They realized that they made a mistake and cut their ties with him quickly. With Baalke, short of that 1 or 2 win disaster scenario I think he gets to run the team through at least the 2017 season when I believe his contract expires.

This team could win 5 or 6 games and still be quite improved from last year where were it not for a few lucky bounces they should have been a 2 or 3 win team realistically and werent competitive in most losses.

Even if they dont win a lot of games they should be a lot more competitive and less prone to being blowout.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 2, 2016 at 12:34 PM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I dont think you judge anyone based on Tomsula. They realized that they made a mistake and cut their ties with him quickly. With Baalke, short of that 1 or 2 win disaster scenario I think he gets to run the team through at least the 2017 season when I believe his contract expires.

This team could win 5 or 6 games and still be quite improved from last year where were it not for a few lucky bounces they should have been a 2 or 3 win team realistically and werent competitive in most losses.

Even if they dont win a lot of games they should be a lot more competitive and less prone to being blowout.

Is still early days, but CBS already has the 9ers picking No.2 overall after the Browns in 2017 selecting Chad Kelly (which I doubt due to character issues). Nevertheless, Mercury News went on to say, this is not a typical Baalke move, but if the 9ers are picking this high Baalke might not even be there.

Well, the Browns were picking 2 this year and they won 3 games. You said we will lose more games than last year which means we will have to lose at least 12 games. Is really becoming semantics when we are debating on 2 wins vs 3 wins as a deciding factor to get Baalke fired, don't you think? A minute difference of 1 loss? Really?

Is still early days, but CBS already has the 9ers picking No.2 overall after the Browns in 2017 selecting Chad Kelly (which I doubt due to character issues). Nevertheless, Mercury News went on to say, this is not a typical Baalke move, but if the 9ers are picking this high Baalke might not even be there.

Well, the Browns were picking 2 this year and they won 3 games. You said we will lose more games than last year which means we will have to lose at least 12 games. Is really becoming semantics when we are debating on 2 wins vs 3 wins as a deciding factor to get Baalke fired, don't you think? A minute difference of 1 loss? Really?

You and Trent Baalke had better hope the Niners don't win more than 2 games in 2016. That will put them in prime position to pick up the cream of the skill players at the top of each round, plus the additional picks they've acquired in trades. Or they could choose to do what the Titans and Browns did, and trade the top pick to some dumbass team that needs a QB so bad they give Baalke's Niners a slew of high picks in the 2017 and 2018 drafts. Those picks, in conjunction with the crapload of cap money they've wisely hoarded, will enable them to crush the NFC West beneath their cleats, and to build a dynasty that should last for years to come.
I already started scouting 2017 prospects(I know it's early), and I love Myles Garrett, has I think 22.5 sacks in his 2 years at A&M, kid is a beast.

A lot of good backs too, Fournette, Dalvin Cook, Matt Breida(Georgia Southern kid, I recommend checking him out), Corey Clement, James Conner(Hope he beats Cancer), Kareem Hunt, Jovon Robinson(Raw, only 8 career games according to sports-reference.com), Royce Freeman.

WR wise, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Mike Williams(Clemson, coming off a neck injury, serious one, I saw the play where he injured it last season), Travin Dural, Stacy Coley, and Malachi Dupre.

TE wise, OJ Howard, Evan Engram, also Jordan Leggett(Clemson), and Bucky Hodges(VA Tech).

CB wise Desmond King is my #1 right now if I were to rank them, also good is LSU's Tre'Davious White, Miami's Corn Elder, USC's Adoree Jackson, Tennessee's Cameron Sutton , Michigan's Jourdan Lewis, and Iowa State's Nigel Tribune.

ILB wise Reuben Foster from Alabama, Skai Moore plays some ILB at South Carolina(more of a safety's body frame, has like 11 career INTs), and LSU's Kendell Beckwith.

Edge Rushers like Auburn's Carl Lawson, LSU's Lewis Neal(raw still), VA Tech's Ken Ekanem, Louisville's Devonte FIelds, Missouri's Charles Harris,, Rutgers's Kemoko Turay, and Northwestern's Ifeadi Odenigbo.

QB wise, DeShaun Watson, Brad Kaaya, and Gunner Kiel, also WSU's Luke Falk.
[ Edited by AB81Rules on May 3, 2016 at 9:24 PM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
You and Trent Baalke had better hope the Niners don't win more than 2 games in 2016. That will put them in prime position to pick up the cream of the skill players at the top of each round, plus the additional picks they've acquired in trades. Or they could choose to do what the Titans and Browns did, and trade the top pick to some dumbass team that needs a QB so bad they give Baalke's Niners a slew of high picks in the 2017 and 2018 drafts. Those picks, in conjunction with the crapload of cap money they've wisely hoarded, will enable them to crush the NFC West beneath their cleats, and to build a dynasty that should last for years to come.

I am cool with 2 wins if that means Baalke will finally be fired plus us finally drafting a legit top franchise QB prospect as opposed to some BS 6th round scrub.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:

Throwback, I was really disappointed/angry that Trent didn't spend some FA money on the lower 1/3 of the FA list. We needed virtually all impact players...starters....at OLB, RDE, OT, OC, OG, an ILB, maybe a CB, and a QB of course. Well the Zane FA pick helped set the table for Garnett, when if Kilgore is healthy or Tiller can play OC, we suddenly have a very fine OL. Just as important, Trent/chip then added two more OTs(who can play either side or play OG also)...and on top of that then brot in another 3 or 4 nice OTs for backups from UDFAs. Really good quality from the UDFAs.

The Buckner pick gave us that missing RDE and quite possibly is the steal of the draft at #7. Real shortage of OLBs in draft, so nothing there. We did get a slug of great DL talent, and now have really great backups, plus several new rotational guys. In a nutshell, Trent/chip managed to staff , or over staff , both OL and DL. ...and basically did it without using FA. I think it still likely we get an OC cut from an established team, who still has a yr or two left in the tank...via a late FA pick. If not, we still have Zane, Garnett, tiller, who may be able to snap the ball. Kilgore may start, but injury and fall off in play makes me think we end up with someone else. If healthy, well, we'll see.

The point here is that all that FA money is, as you say, still in the bank...or hoarded, if you will. The significance of that is that when next yr comes around, we will have plenty of money to spend on the one or two missing pieces that we just have to have....to make a run deep into playoffs. There is one set of logic that you really don't want to blow your FA money UNTIL you are ready to make a run. This yr was not the yr for us to do that. Just way too many impact players missing. But we came a long way towards filling that gap this yr, and next yr, that FA money is going to be very welcome to have sitting there. Also we didn't blow it on some outrageous and difficult to justify salaries.

So even tho it appeared we were gutless in FA, it looks like Trent /chip handled this very well...and we still have $$ for next yr when we have an idea of what we really need to push us over the top. A draft filled with OL and DL talent came along at exacltly the right time for us.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 4, 2016 at 6:58 AM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

The point here is that all that FA money is, as you say, still in the bank...or hoarded, if you will. The significance of that is that when next yr comes around, we will have plenty of money to spend on the one or two missing pieces that we just have to have....to make a run deep into playoffs. There is one set of logic that you really don't want to blow your FA money UNTIL you are ready to make a run. This yr was not the yr for us to do that. Just way too many impact players missing. But we came a long way towards filling that gap this yr, and next yr, that FA money is going to be very welcome to have sitting there. Also we didn't blow it on some outrageous and difficult to justify salaries.

So even tho it appeared we were gutless in FA, it looks like Trent /chip handled this very well...and we still have $$ for next yr when we have an idea of what we really need to push us over the top. A draft filled with OL and DL talent came along at exacltly the right time for us.

Yes, and I think Niner management are well aware that this year is likely to be challenging, given the team has the toughest schedule in the league (based on 2015 data). Quite the opposite of Baalke's being on probation, I believe the entire plan for this draft was to bulk up on the lines and continue laying the foundation for a secondary that should mature in a year or two. There wasn't a lot of skill position nor pass rushing talent in this draft, but there should be a hell of a lot of both next year, from QB to RB to WR at least, and a few beast prospects at OLB. Add to that the likelihood that new offensive and defensive concepts will take a year to learn and absorb, while the OL would require as long to gel, new offense or not, so there's a good chance that the Niners, even with more talent than last year, will still struggle to play consistently and win games. There's an excellent chance they'll be picking high in the draft next year and acquire a number of future stars, while getting many of the FAs they target and extending the best players with all the cap room they've gathered. Bottom line, the Niners are being realistic and thinking strategically rather than blowing their wad on one season. I wish them well.
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on May 4, 2016 at 6:50 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone