LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Why Many Draft Guru's Incorrectly Evaluate O-linemen

Good article from former NFL lineman LeCharles Bentley who runs a training facility for offensive linemen here in Chandler, Arizona.

https://lbolineperformance.com/why-draft-gurus-incorrectly-evaluate-o-linemen/
NFL draft season is the time of year when everyone with a microphone or a social media account becomes an authority on player evaluation. The best and worse part of everyone having the ability to voice an opinion, is everyone having the ability to voice an opinion. There are some very good pundits that do a wonderful job evaluating talent. On the other hand, there are some complete frauds hiding behind Twitter avatars and network logos with the hopes of never being exposed.

The two most difficult positions to evaluate are cornerback and offensive line. Do I believe you have to had played either position to be fully capable of providing an accurate evaluation, no. I do believe you better have a more than solid familiarity with why players fail at these two respective positions, than why they succeed.

One of the proverbial "pink elephant in the room" issues with offensive line evaluation is, rarely does anyone ask "how?". Every player entering the draft is walking in to the NFL with a bag of key performance inhibiting traits. The popular school of thought says, the higher draft pick, the less inhibiting traits. Well, the fact is, it's not the quantity of performance inhibiting traits, it's the type. Some inhibiting traits run much deeper than others. I like to say, some are surface, others are systemic. It's the systemic issues that make or break player development. Ironically, these are the most overlooked traits by the "experts" when evaluating offensive line talent. These traits are overlooked because they distract from all of the other bells and whistles the evaluator has "fallen in love" with. Remember, the higher draft picks are normally the guys that will check the box of every testing metric presented. They're going to run, jump, and measure within a respectable range of their previously highly drafted counterparts. This is where the trap is laid.

The "How?"

Instead of being alerted by a significant flaw, many pundits pretend the NFL is a developmental league. They throw phrases around like, "he just needs a year in an NFL weight room". Look, if a player isn't strong enough coming out of college, he's screwed. The NFL is not getting him stronger. Player X has bad footwork, "he just needs time under the tutelage of an NFL offensive line coach". Well, is he going to get the "tutelage" before or after the hours upon hours of installing the playbook? The fact is, NFL clubs don't have the time or truly the interest to develop players. Also, you have to be careful being so dismissive of collegiate S&C staffs and offensive line coaches. Not many will say it but I don't really give a damn, there are better coaches in college than in the NFL. The difference at the collegiate level is coaches need to get players better in order to keep their jobs. They have to invest. NFL players lose their jobs when they don't perform, coaches just get recycled. With that said, why are the pundits not asking the simple question, "how is this issue going to get resolved?". We all know at the offensive line position the biggest, fastest, and strongest don't always survive. The physical prowess they've demonstrated in meaningless testing does nothing but keep the player's head above water long enough to get chopped off.

The two questions we all have to answer when evaluating an o-lineman

How do you resolve the key performance inhibitor?

How long will it take to resolve the issue?

Is the player truly committed to the process? (This is a team issue. Not fair for pundits to answer this because they don't have team access)

If these two questions aren't or can't be answered, there needs to be a re-evaluation of the player and "expert".

I'm not going to mention names of players to bolster my point. That's not fair to the player. If I were to mention the names of players, I'd have to mention the pundits that were slobbering all over the players prior to them being drafted. That's only fair. Gladly for the sake of civility, I don't believe this is called for.

Hardest position by far to evaluate (especially as an amateur). Most o-linemen in college suck when trying to compare it to the pros. I feel you basically have to determine if they fit your system and if they have good feet and have quick strong hands.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Good article from former NFL lineman LeCharles Bentley who runs a training facility for offensive linemen here in Chandler, Arizona.

https://lbolineperformance.com/why-draft-gurus-incorrectly-evaluate-o-linemen/
NFL draft season is the time of year when everyone with a microphone or a social media account becomes an authority on player evaluation. The best and worse part of everyone having the ability to voice an opinion, is everyone having the ability to voice an opinion. There are some very good pundits that do a wonderful job evaluating talent. On the other hand, there are some complete frauds hiding behind Twitter avatars and network logos with the hopes of never being exposed.

The two most difficult positions to evaluate are cornerback and offensive line. Do I believe you have to had played either position to be fully capable of providing an accurate evaluation, no. I do believe you better have a more than solid familiarity with why players fail at these two respective positions, than why they succeed.

One of the proverbial "pink elephant in the room" issues with offensive line evaluation is, rarely does anyone ask "how?". Every player entering the draft is walking in to the NFL with a bag of key performance inhibiting traits. The popular school of thought says, the higher draft pick, the less inhibiting traits. Well, the fact is, it's not the quantity of performance inhibiting traits, it's the type. Some inhibiting traits run much deeper than others. I like to say, some are surface, others are systemic. It's the systemic issues that make or break player development. Ironically, these are the most overlooked traits by the "experts" when evaluating offensive line talent. These traits are overlooked because they distract from all of the other bells and whistles the evaluator has "fallen in love" with. Remember, the higher draft picks are normally the guys that will check the box of every testing metric presented. They're going to run, jump, and measure within a respectable range of their previously highly drafted counterparts. This is where the trap is laid.

The "How?"

Instead of being alerted by a significant flaw, many pundits pretend the NFL is a developmental league. They throw phrases around like, "he just needs a year in an NFL weight room". Look, if a player isn't strong enough coming out of college, he's screwed. The NFL is not getting him stronger. Player X has bad footwork, "he just needs time under the tutelage of an NFL offensive line coach". Well, is he going to get the "tutelage" before or after the hours upon hours of installing the playbook? The fact is, NFL clubs don't have the time or truly the interest to develop players. Also, you have to be careful being so dismissive of collegiate S&C staffs and offensive line coaches. Not many will say it but I don't really give a damn, there are better coaches in college than in the NFL. The difference at the collegiate level is coaches need to get players better in order to keep their jobs. They have to invest. NFL players lose their jobs when they don't perform, coaches just get recycled. With that said, why are the pundits not asking the simple question, "how is this issue going to get resolved?". We all know at the offensive line position the biggest, fastest, and strongest don't always survive. The physical prowess they've demonstrated in meaningless testing does nothing but keep the player's head above water long enough to get chopped off.

The two questions we all have to answer when evaluating an o-lineman

How do you resolve the key performance inhibitor?

How long will it take to resolve the issue?

Is the player truly committed to the process? (This is a team issue. Not fair for pundits to answer this because they don't have team access)

If these two questions aren't or can't be answered, there needs to be a re-evaluation of the player and "expert".

I'm not going to mention names of players to bolster my point. That's not fair to the player. If I were to mention the names of players, I'd have to mention the pundits that were slobbering all over the players prior to them being drafted. That's only fair. Gladly for the sake of civility, I don't believe this is called for.

Good article, I think that applies for most positions though which is why it's tough to evaluate players without the insider access teams get to family/coaches/friends...etc

We basically have to rely to get that type of info from the media and a lot of times those are driven by a certain agenda.
Originally posted by gored49:
Hardest position by far to evaluate (especially as an amateur). Most o-linemen in college suck when trying to compare it to the pros. I feel you basically have to determine if they fit your system and if they have good feet and have quick strong hands.

I think too often measurables or Combine numbers suck people in, which allows them to ignore that a player is just lacking in fundamentals. I see Le'Raven Clark as this years ultimate example. He's got sloppy footwork and hand use, very raw in terms of his technique but he has good athleticism and really long arms so people figure that the rest can just be "coached up." He's a guy with incredible natural length and tools but someone that you basically have to coach up from the bottom.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think too often measurables or Combine numbers suck people in, which allows them to ignore that a player is just lacking in fundamentals. I see Le'Raven Clark as this years ultimate example. He's got sloppy footwork and hand use, very raw in terms of his technique but he has good athleticism and really long arms so people figure that the rest can just be "coached up." He's a guy with incredible natural length and tools but someone that you basically have to coach up from the bottom.

Agree 100% and the example I had in mind too. How often does that succeed in the nfl? 1/10? Sebastian vollmer is one of the only ones that comes to mind.
It's actually not that hard to be honest, but it does require lots of film work and knowing what to look for ... The with OL has to with handwork and understanding angles as well as footwork. The rest is a question of desire
I'm happy Kelly hired Pat Flaherty...he's been around and has seen it all. No substitute for experience, and he's got a ton. He can certainly help any OL Baalke drafts transition to the NFL the right way.

As for the CB position, I was watching NFL-N yesterday...and a former NFL CB (didn't catch his name) was saying the key thing about that position is you're exposed time after time in games...hence the expression "on an island". Beyond speed, coverage abilities, etc. confidence is arguably more critical at that position than any other. You also have to have a thick skin, because even the best still get beat on occasion.

Good stuff, Phoenix.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'm happy Kelly hired Pat Flaherty...he's been around and has seen it all. No substitute for experience, and he's got a ton. He can certainly help any OL Baalke drafts transition to the NFL the right way.

As for the CB position, I was watching NFL-N yesterday...and a former NFL CB (didn't catch his name) was saying the key thing about that position is you're exposed time after time in games...hence the expression "on an island". Beyond speed, coverage abilities, etc. confidence is arguably more critical at that position than any other. You also have to have a thick skin, because even the best still get beat on occasion.

Good stuff, Phoenix.

I think Eric Davis said that. Bruh you should know who that is lol
"Look, if a player isn't strong enough coming out of college, he's screwed. The NFL is not getting him stronger"

"Is the player truly committed to the process?"

First name that popped in my head was Ronnie Stanley
I thought it was an interesting article but was totally disappointed by not telling us what to look for. Buildup with no conclusion

a lot of this makes sense, but some of it is just weird stuff not supported by anything and having dumb logic

like this:
" difference at the collegiate level is coaches need to get players better in order to keep their jobs. They have to invest. "

wait what ?
makes little sense.

first, college coaches are known for using players athleticism 'here and now' to win first, and to develop players later. this is true with a lot of athletic players who play skill positions. as a result, many athletic qbs, for example, enter the NFL far less skilled in passing, because they were good enough to stand out athletically in college, but are doomed in the NFL where playing field is more level

second, even if it was true, having to get players to be better with the prospect of losing your job, does not make you a better coach. it's faulty logic. let's take this to extreme and see how this is faulty logic. a north korean coach might lose his life if he doesn't get his athletes better. does that make him a defacto better coach than his american counterparts ? not really. it makes him highly motivated and 'invested', but it really doesn't make him better. if anything such coach will want to win by any means necessary here and now, not in the future.
[ Edited by the_dynasty on Apr 26, 2016 at 7:09 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone