LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Baalkes draft failure

• eman
  • Veteran
Was thinking just out of curiosity.....

any chance that when we picked AJ Jenkins, and Harbaugh said that baalke had his name written down and ready to make that pick, was that to in a round about way a form of him complaining about Baalkes love for AJJ and putting his complete faith in him, not willing to look at other options??

sounds rather odd the way that Jim framed it... and seeing how their relationship ended, would not be surprised that it may have been Jim undermining Trent

what do you think?
Baalke was the one who said they put AJ's name in the envelope.

If only that AJ was Alshton Jeffrey.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Baalke was the one who said they put AJ's name in the envelope.

If only that AJ was Alshton Jeffrey.

Nah it was Harbaugh who said it about Baalke
Originally posted by eman:
Was thinking just out of curiosity.....

any chance that when we picked AJ Jenkins, and Harbaugh said that baalke had his name written down and ready to make that pick, was that to in a round about way a form of him complaining about Baalkes love for AJJ and putting his complete faith in him, not willing to look at other options??

sounds rather odd the way that Jim framed it... and seeing how their relationship ended, would not be surprised that it may have been Jim undermining Trent

what do you think?

That make sense to me. Baalke is past his prime and needs to be replaced sooner than later.
I'm thinking why are we bringing this up again.
Is this a way for the Baalke bashers to make fun of this draft? I'm glad that you realized you can't knock his current draft so you have to go back to old ones

Well played
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Is this a way for the Baalke bashers to make fun of this draft? I'm glad that you realized you can't knock his current draft so you have to go back to old ones

Well played

Yet...
Originally posted by Quest4six:

Well played

I have generally been a Baalke supported, but this draft has me scratching my head. Beyond the 1st round, and one other pick I am not a fan of what he drafted this year.
[ Edited by WINiner on Apr 30, 2016 at 6:15 PM ]
It's far too early to know how good of a draft this is...but one thing I'll say is he drafted two beastly DE's, one beastly OG and an OT in Cooper who's known for his toughness. Redmon is a very good CB...Mayock said had he not had his ACL injury in mid-season, he'd likely have been a late 1st or early 2nd rd pick. Robinson has limited college experience, but is fast and known as a good cover CB. Both Mayock and Daniel Jerimiah raved about Ron Blair. After seeing his tape, he looks like the kind of defender Seattle would draft. Cooper looks to be the better OT than Theus, but the latter was a 4-yr starter for GA, so we'll see. I see no problem with Driskel...they'll develop him. He's got very good size and is pretty athletic. Kelvin Taylor seems to have some of his Dad's genes, which is a good thing. Solid RB, did not fumble despite a ton of touches in 2015. Burbridge was the top WR in the Big 10...and would seem to be a value pick in the 6th rd. Again, both Mayock and Jerimiah liked Iworah...he's got 4.32 speed and can close on receivers very quickly. Baalke hit on a number of needs...beefed up the DL, Garnett & Cooper bring some nastiness to the OL, got 3 CB's with good potential, got a QB to develop, got a solid RB. Again, way too soon to know how many of these guys will make the team and/or how much impact they'll have. I really like what Baalke did to beef up both lines...that was much-needed and I think we're in much better shape there.
  • eman
  • Veteran
seriously... ???
I am a die hard 9er fan, and as one... should be justified questioning the moves the GM makes for our team... blind faith is never good...

look... we were heads and shoulders above seahawks in 2011 and 2012, but they drafted Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner, Russel Wilson, Robert Turbin, Jeremy Lane and JR Sweezy in that monstrous draft for them... all these guys went on to contribute to their championship run... that is 6 impact players from one draft!!!!! Nevermind that during this time Baalke drafted Jenkins, lamichael james, looney, darius fleming, trent robinson, Jason SLowey and cam johnson.

....but ... at a time when he needs to hit atleast 4 starters and 2 impact players.. and we have tons of mediocricity at several positions and need some stiff competition (i can think of potential upgrades/future considerations could be had at Center, RG, TE, OLB, MLB).. he goes out and gets 3 CB's and 2 backup OT's?????? I dont ever see teams teams drafting this many players from one position... then if you think that just 2 years ago, we invested heavily in the position with Jimmie Ward, Keith Reaser, Kenneth Acker and Dontae Johnson..

so fans.. hear me... in 2 years, we have had Ward, Reaser, Acker, Johnson, Redmond, Robinson and Prince.. that is 7 CB's picked!!! If a GM and scout duty is to evaluate talent, they should not draft more than few for the position. But when you are drafting 7 players to hopefully fill 2 spots, then it tells me you are not relying on your talent evaluations, but hoping that atleast 2/7 will turn out ok and you save your behind, while we neglect to upgrade other positions. If the arguement is that well, there was no other holes to fill, then trade those picks for following years draft, so we can have boatloads of 4th/5th rounders which we could use to trade up and grab impact players...

I am really irritated and disappointed! really!. no way should a GM be given a pass when he pulls such crap...
baalke's first failed NFL experiment is draft as many ACL injuries and see if he hits on one and looks like a genious
his next failed experiment > draft as many players in one position that hopefull one of them will make you look brilliant.
Baalke let his three year old nephew run the draft after round one.
[ Edited by 94949er on Apr 30, 2016 at 6:45 PM ]

• eman
  • Veteran
one more rant...
few years ago, we heard that we picked AJJ where we did because we were concerned that Rams wanted to pick him up
Now...
We trade up to get Garnett because we were concerned that Seahawks would draft him...

can Baalke just stop worrying about other teams and just do his draft...?
  • eman
  • Veteran
seriously...!!! that is what it looks like... so sad... and even sadder for people to feel like there was masterplan genious ideas behind his draft...
Originally posted by 94949er:
Baalke let his three year nephew run the draft after round one.
My god you guys are a bunch of cry babies... half of these players don't even pan out, no matter how much hype they have or who ends up drafting them. No GM ever hits on every pick, but you guys want to hold Trent to that standard. If you go back to the drafts from 2011, 2012, 2013... go. Please go and see all the players that were taken in the first round or two, then come back and tell me how many are actually relevant today? You'll be surprised.

We all have players we like and we usually grade a draft based on how many players that we like are taken. It doesn't work that way. It's a total crapshoot. You take the players with the measurables and potential that you like and then hope that the player works out.

You guys are the same type of fans that will be raving Baalke if three years down the line, Redmond and Robinson are are two starting corners, Driskel is our starting QB, Taylor is a nice compliment to Hyde, with Garnett a perennial starter at Guard. Buckner, Armstead, and Blair ravaging olines

Just have patience. No one wins the draft the day after. there's no way of knowing and if you think you do, you're just kidding yourself.
[ Edited by ivanm05 on Apr 30, 2016 at 7:00 PM ]
Originally posted by eman:
seriously... ???
I am a die hard 9er fan, and as one... should be justified questioning the moves the GM makes for our team... blind faith is never good...

look... we were heads and shoulders above seahawks in 2011 and 2012, but they drafted Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner, Russel Wilson, Robert Turbin, Jeremy Lane and JR Sweezy in that monstrous draft for them... all these guys went on to contribute to their championship run... that is 6 impact players from one draft!!!!! Nevermind that during this time Baalke drafted Jenkins, lamichael james, looney, darius fleming, trent robinson, Jason SLowey and cam johnson.

....but ... at a time when he needs to hit atleast 4 starters and 2 impact players.. and we have tons of mediocricity at several positions and need some stiff competition (i can think of potential upgrades/future considerations could be had at Center, RG, TE, OLB, MLB).. he goes out and gets 3 CB's and 2 backup OT's?????? I dont ever see teams teams drafting this many players from one position... then if you think that just 2 years ago, we invested heavily in the position with Jimmie Ward, Keith Reaser, Kenneth Acker and Dontae Johnson..

so fans.. hear me... in 2 years, we have had Ward, Reaser, Acker, Johnson, Redmond, Robinson and Prince.. that is 7 CB's picked!!! If a GM and scout duty is to evaluate talent, they should not draft more than few for the position. But when you are drafting 7 players to hopefully fill 2 spots, then it tells me you are not relying on your talent evaluations, but hoping that atleast 2/7 will turn out ok and you save your behind, while we neglect to upgrade other positions. If the arguement is that well, there was no other holes to fill, then trade those picks for following years draft, so we can have boatloads of 4th/5th rounders which we could use to trade up and grab impact players...

I am really irritated and disappointed! really!. no way should a GM be given a pass when he pulls such crap...
baalke's first failed NFL experiment is draft as many ACL injuries and see if he hits on one and looks like a genious
his next failed experiment > draft as many players in one position that hopefull one of them will make you look brilliant.

eman, I don't know who you are, but I'm glad you're posting on here. YES, you are entitled to use your brain, to think critically, to see this draft in the context of Baalke's other drafts, and to form your own opinions, EVEN IF THEY ARE NEGATIVE.

Thanks for the solid post. I feel like every year I read the same "you can't possibly know if this draft is good" posts after yet another weak @$$ draft. Oh really? Well when do you get to say it's not good? We've seen this show before... the 9ers have been run into the ground because most of our drafts for the last 4 years have yielded very few contributors. Good teams get good by having transcendent drafts (like seahawks one you mentioned) and they stay good by getting starters throughout the early and mid rounds. We haven't done that in a long time and I can't see how anyone would think we will from this draft.
This is new and exciting
Share 49ersWebzone