LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 384 users in the forums

Niners draft strategy

4 million more a year than Revis or Sherman or Peterson!!! I stopped reading after the opening sentence.
This year Baalke just needs to hang tight and let the draft come to him. We will end up with either Goff, Wentz, Tunsil, Buckner, Bosa, Ramsey or Jack. SImple as pie. Literally he can't screw this up. Errrr. Wait. This is Baalke we are talking about. Trent, avoid the temptation to trade back and stick with the basics. Go ahead and fart around in rounds 5-7 but for the most part don't try to be too cute and over think the process. Much better have a few stud players than a bunch of B level guys.
This is the deal. Paxton Lynch is the same deal as Kap, hell of an athlete without the mental make up to run an offense. We need to use the qbs we got on our team to check out this offense with the ability we got. Use our picks and maybe even next years to build a foundation, get some gritty trench warriors and mad dog tacklers. O line is deep in this draft lets grab up some talent there that fits in this zone blocking scheme. Trade down and up as much as possible to get more second round picks, there is quality there. Grab up tenacious players with fight like Conklin in the first with a trade back and get an extra 2nd or 3rd. Then start looking at moving the ball with picks like Derrick Henrey and Hunter Henry, stick to the plan and get Jack Allen and Scooby Wright and we will have an identity. This draft sucks for skill players, lets get a core built that can be used to start the new system with some teeth to it. If you want to add someone to help in this new system at qb, then lets just take Vernon Adams late with a compensatory puck at least he knows the offense already and he's scrappy.
I won't be able to stomach watching Pears at RT again. Just take Tunsil, Stanley or Conklin at 7.
Precisely
Ok im kinda feeling this train right now. What if we take Elliot at 7. And then trade back up and take 2 oline to end rd 1 and start rd 2. I could live with that. I think pairing elliot with hide would be smart by chip.
Trying to move up from #7 for the Niners now would be lunacy IMO. All they have to do is sit there and any one of a number of studs will fall to #7 and make the team better immediately whether it's Buckner, Bosa, Stanley or Tunsil.
Originally posted by txninerdad80:
I cant believe we let Josh Norman get away with 53 mil in cap space. I understand the skins probably overpaid. Nothing we can do about it now. That would have helped sure up the d perfectly.

The perfect strategy would have been to aquire Norman, then draft bosa, and then trade back up into rd 1 and draft jaylon smith. Better coverage = more dl sacks, and a quicker pass rush = easier coverage for the secondary. The two positions play off of each other perfectly.

Since that didn't work out I think we should still Draft Bosa at 7. He's the best player in the draft imo. Reminds me of a young justin smith/jj watt. Then we still trade back up into rd 1 and choose 1 of two players. It all depends on who we think is most likely to fall to us at the begining of rd two. We should take Paxton Lynch or Jaylon Smith late in rd 1. The mlb could possibly fall to us because hes injured. After this i hope we look for wr,ol,cb depth.

Bosa, if he comes to the niners, would have to change to rush linebacker and learn how to cover. He is not a scheme fit for 3-4 DE. He is a 4-3 DE. We tried it with Tank and it failed. This being a contract year and the change in strategy in his use, I have a feeling Tank will have a break out year. Jaylon Smith is not going to be able to play this year, do you know that? In fact there are questions if he can make it back to his pre injury self. Next Lynch, might be taken by the jets or even the Browns-we need help in so many areas that I doubt we use a high 2 and 3 to get back into the 1st for Lynch.

As for Norman 25 Mill a year? You would be stupid to sign him. Bowman is more valuable than him-which is what you are saying to him and slapping him (NB) in the face. Norman had one good year and comes from a talented D, without that support, he will not be as good this year as last year at the panthers.

Poor strategy.
Correct i suspect the problem was in the guarantees. Guaranteeing 50 + mill is crazy.

The niners probably wanted to go with the Revis strategy. Sign Norman for big money on a two year deal, second year being a team option. Decline the option making him an FA and picking up a 3rd round tradeable comp pick in the process.

Then you generate a lot of dead money from the signing bonus.
I did watch last season. The only major loss on offense was iupati imo. Hyde was hurt. Kaep was hurt, etc. The coaching was the worst part. I would love to see what the offense can do under a new creative system with kelly. Sure up the defense now and give the offense more opportunities. The last 4 superbowls have been one by the team with the best d fense. Im not saying we don't take any offense players. I just think we should take the offensive players later in rd 4-6. 3 out of our first 4 picks should be defense. Think about all the players we lost on d. Witner, willis, borland, aldon, justin, gholdson, etc.. we've lost way more on thw d side of the ball. The only offensive player i think we target is paxton because i absolutely loved the piece with gruden i watch comparing paxton to newton. I think he would fit well in a chip kelly system and compete well with gabbert and kaep.

I don't think you watched last season, otherwise you would know that not only Iupati was gone, but Kilegore was hurt and Davis was gone.

Ok im kinda feeling this train right now. What if we take Elliot at 7. And then trade back up and take 2 oline to end rd 1 and start rd 2. I could live with that. I think pairing elliot with hide would be smart by chip.

What are you smoking? Take Elliot at 7 then move back up into the 1st and still draft someone in the second? The niners only three picks and not enough ammo to pull off that scenario. They would have to trade the 2nd rounder and the 3rd rounder just to do what you said, to get back into the 3rd rounder to get one of the better O-line. I don't think you know anything about football, the draft or the salary cap. How old are you and how long have you been following football?
One of the things the niners should do is take the 2 5th and 6th rounders and trade back up into the 4th round for two picks. I think there is a lot of value there.
Originally posted by WildBill:
One of the things the niners should do is take the 2 5th and 6th rounders and trade back up into the 4th round for two picks. I think there is a lot of value there.

With you on this Bill, I think there is going to be some great values at the start of day 3. Big drop off after the top 125 or so.
K.I.S.S.- Are your QBs having issues, not a solid substantial upgrade available, take the focus off of them. Grab 2 good lineman, a pro tight end and a sledge hammer of a running back.
Trade the rest of the draft to get them and maybe a pick next year.
Conklin, Henrey and Henry, Jack Allen and Scoobie Write just to finish the point. DONE
Share 49ersWebzone