LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 289 users in the forums

Niners draft strategy

I cant believe we let Josh Norman get away with 53 mil in cap space. I understand the skins probably overpaid. Nothing we can do about it now. That would have helped sure up the d perfectly.

The perfect strategy would have been to aquire Norman, then draft bosa, and then trade back up into rd 1 and draft jaylon smith. Better coverage = more dl sacks, and a quicker pass rush = easier coverage for the secondary. The two positions play off of each other perfectly.

Since that didn't work out I think we should still Draft Bosa at 7. He's the best player in the draft imo. Reminds me of a young justin smith/jj watt. Then we still trade back up into rd 1 and choose 1 of two players. It all depends on who we think is most likely to fall to us at the begining of rd two. We should take Paxton Lynch or Jaylon Smith late in rd 1. The mlb could possibly fall to us because hes injured. After this i hope we look for wr,ol,cb depth.
$75m/5years
Correct i suspect the problem was in the guarantees. Guaranteeing 50 + mill is crazy.

The niners probably wanted to go with the Revis strategy. Sign Norman for big money on a two year deal, second year being a team option. Decline the option making him an FA and picking up a 3rd round tradeable comp pick in the process.
Three defensive players. No offense. Did you watch last season?
Originally posted by English:
$75m/5years

This plus we would have to pay more than that because of Cali taxes. And he will be 29 at the start of the season. And he's a zone CB and shouldn't be the highest paid CB.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
I did watch last season. The only major loss on offense was iupati imo. Hyde was hurt. Kaep was hurt, etc. The coaching was the worst part. I would love to see what the offense can do under a new creative system with kelly. Sure up the defense now and give the offense more opportunities. The last 4 superbowls have been one by the team with the best d fense. Im not saying we don't take any offense players. I just think we should take the offensive players later in rd 4-6. 3 out of our first 4 picks should be defense. Think about all the players we lost on d. Witner, willis, borland, aldon, justin, gholdson, etc.. we've lost way more on thw d side of the ball. The only offensive player i think we target is paxton because i absolutely loved the piece with gruden i watch comparing paxton to newton. I think he would fit well in a chip kelly system and compete well with gabbert and kaep.

That's what I was thinking.
Originally posted by txninerdad80:
I cant believe we let Josh Norman get away with 53 mil in cap space. I understand the skins probably overpaid. Nothing we can do about it now. That would have helped sure up the d perfectly.

The perfect strategy would have been to aquire Norman, then draft bosa, and then trade back up into rd 1 and draft jaylon smith. Better coverage = more dl sacks, and a quicker pass rush = easier coverage for the secondary. The two positions play off of each other perfectly.

Since that didn't work out I think we should still Draft Bosa at 7. He's the best player in the draft imo. Reminds me of a young justin smith/jj watt. Then we still trade back up into rd 1 and choose 1 of two players. It all depends on who we think is most likely to fall to us at the begining of rd two. We should take Paxton Lynch or Jaylon Smith late in rd 1. The mlb could possibly fall to us because hes injured. After this i hope we look for wr,ol,cb depth.
I like Bosa at 7 but if we trade back into the first then it should be for S. Calhoun
Originally posted by txninerdad80:
I did watch last season. The only major loss on offense was iupati imo. Hyde was hurt. Kaep was hurt, etc. The coaching was the worst part. I would love to see what the offense can do under a new creative system with kelly. Sure up the defense now and give the offense more opportunities. The last 4 superbowls have been one by the team with the best d fense. Im not saying we don't take any offense players. I just think we should take the offensive players later in rd 4-6. 3 out of our first 4 picks should be defense. Think about all the players we lost on d. Witner, willis, borland, aldon, justin, gholdson, etc.. we've lost way more on thw d side of the ball. The only offensive player i think we target is paxton because i absolutely loved the piece with gruden i watch comparing paxton to newton. I think he would fit well in a chip kelly system and compete well with gabbert and kaep.

We lost defensive players from a top 5 defense in the league. We lost offensive players from a middle of the pack offense in this league. How many teams have won the Super Bowl with one of the bottom 5 offenses in the league? Denver's defense carried them, but they still had a decent offense which finished 16th in the NFL in yards and 19th in points. The 49ers were 31st in yards and 32nd in points scored last year (fewest points scored by a team since Kansas City in 2012).

We went from having one of the best offensive lines in the league 3-4 years ago to having arguably the worst line in the league. We lost a pro bowl guard in Iupati, a very good RT in Anthony Davis, and a decent guard in Boone. Our only remaining quality offensive lineman turns 32 this year. We have a terrible group of WR's. Our best RB is unproven and injury prone and we have very little depth behind him. Our problems on offense go way beyond the coaching staff.

Defense is important, but at some point, we need to bring in a little bit of talent on offense. It may not be the best time to bring in a rookie QB when the cupboard is bare on offense, but we should try to at least put ourselves in a position where we can bring in a QB next year.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Apr 23, 2016 at 10:23 AM ]
Norman is not worth $51 million guaranteed. He's not a game changer and we aren't one player away from playoffs. I'd like to see us get Ramsey in the 1st. We can get DL in the 2nd or 3rd since it's a deep draft for DL...and then pick up ILB in mid rounds(Scooby?).

• FL9er
  • Veteran
The 49ers lack difference makers. They should just take the best player available that addresses an area on the roster where they lack a blue chipper.

As far as the draft goes, picks 3-5 could or will determine the 49ers strategy.

San Diego is open to trading down, it will probably still be too expensive to move up to that spot.

Bosa is one of the players the Cowboys are considering at 4, as is Ramsey, Goff, Elliott, Buckner.

The word on the street is that Jack doesn't fall past #5.

Miami wants a RB and is thinking of ways to move up for Elliott.

I would feel better if the 49ers were picking at 3 or even 5 instead of 7.
We could have been picking higher, if we didn't win a couple meaningless games at the end of the season :(

I hope Jack is drafted in the top 6, I don't want to have him there for us at 7. I want Buckner really bad, and if he's there, then it's a NO BRAINER to draft him. I would look at someone like Garnett in the 2nd, to give Chip that athletic and awesome guard that he needs in his system. The rest of the draft, I'd be moving up and down for what we have on our draft board, versus value on where to draft them. I also wouldn't walk away with any more than 8 or 9 guys in this draft. Drafting 12 or more guys is not smart, because they won't all make the team, and nothing hurts more than drafting guys to then try and sneak onto the PS and see them poached for nothing in return.
Here is what they need to do, trade what ever you got after the 4th round and maybe something from next year to get 2 more 2nd round picks. You grab up the best player available in the first (Buckner). Then take a beast of a running back in Derrick Henrey at 6'3" 250 followed by Joshua Garnett and Jason Spriggs to finish out that zone scheme with a line and a couple of backs to beat up and change pace with the best of them. 3rd round take Joe Haeg for depth and future on the line, and Scoobie Wright in the fourth to fill out that front seven. That is a draft that would be a foundation and give us an identity that could scare people. Solid
Dallas is a wild card. I think their need for a legit QB back up plan will affect this draft. If the 49ers want to move up a couple of spots, dallas might be a trade partner. Dallas might target the tier two QBs with Romo turning 36. If dallas swaps 1's and adds a 2nd or 3rd, they can reach for a QB and still get 2 high non QB picks.
I don't want to trade up from 7 though. It would be to expensive. I would move up to number 6, if Buckner is there, because Baltimore might take him.
Share 49ersWebzone