There are 201 users in the forums

Trading up to #5, who do you draft?

Trading up to #5, who do you draft?

The first four picks go as follows:

1. Goff

2. Wentz

3. Ramsey

4. Bosa

The 49ers can move up with the Jaguars for a third round pick. Do you take Laremy Tunsil, a true franchise LT prospect or do you go with DeForest Buckner at DE. Both guys would be instant starters.

Tunsil-Age 21, 6'5", 310 pounds, 34 1/4" arms, 10" hands.

Pass Protection-1-Twitchy athlete for a 310-pounder. Quick to set and plays with very good balance. Lower-body flexibility is outstanding. Quick to redirect and can mirror-slide with top edge rushers. Flashes pop with initial punch and has long arms to keep defenders off his body when his hands are correct. Only knock is that he gives up ground versus powerful bull rushers. Absorbs sometimes and lets his hands get wide, which puts him in a vulnerable position. But he does show the ability to re-sink his hips to anchor after giving up initial ground.

Run Blocking-2-Projects best in a zone-blocking-heavy scheme because of his mobility. Has great range as a run blocker. He's almost always able to get into prime position and keeps his feet moving throughout contact. Shows balance, agility and upper body power to sustain blocks. He's not a road grader in the run game and lacks elite lower-body leg drive. But he plays with an edge and he rarely fails to execute his assignment.

Awareness-2-Above average awareness in pass protection. Works effectively on combo blocks. Gives help to the inside before defender flashes to the outside. Shows great range as a second-level blocker but occasionally can be a quarter-count late locating assignments.

Toughness-2-Wouldn't classify him as a mauler, but he definitely plays with a chip. Fights through the whistle. Works hard to sustain. Doesn't settle for adequate positioning; stays active with feet/hands while engaged.

Buckner-Age 22, 6'7", 291 pounds, 34 3/8" arms, 11 3/4" hands.

Pass Rush Skills-2-Adequate first step quickness and snap anticipation for his size, but he's not going to win many battles with pure speed. Has long arms (34 3/8") and massive/heavy hands (11 3/4"). Doesn't have great torso flexibility, but he shows the ability to dip his pads and work through contact at the top of his rush. He's very effective converting speed to power when coming off with proper leverage. Flashes explosive upper body power to jar blockers and push the pocket. Improved his counter punch and became more of a finisher in 2015. Average-to-slightly above average closing burst. Does a nice job of utilizing height and length to get hands up in throwing lanes.

Versus the run-1-Area of strength. Very good skills at the point of attack. Thick and long frame with excellent core strength. Massive and heavy hands (11 ¾') that have some shock to them. He utilizes his length well to stack blockers, create separation and find the ball. Active hand fighter in a phone booth and does a nice job of shedding, redirecting and finishing. Will play high at times and can get into trouble with down blocks. Redirects well and shows adequate lateral agility and range.

Versatility-1-Has the ability to line up in multiple positions along the defensive line. Ideal fit is as a 5-technique for a base 3-4 scheme. But he also possesses enough quickness and agility to line up as a LDE in 4-3 defense. Has experience reducing inside as a 3-technique, particularly on heavy pass rushing downs.

Instincts/Motor-2-Has a tone-setter mentality to his game. Displays a physical and aggressive demeanor on tape. Shows good fight at the point of attack and is willing to mix it up. Will chase in pursuit. Made a handful of second effort plays on tape. But he will tire if left on the field for a long string of consecutive plays.

If we get Norman I would definitely get Buckner. That defense would have enormous potential. Then we can focus on the offense for the majority of the draft.
Tunsil is going to the Chargers, Ramsey to the Cowboys.

5-7 is where it gets dicey.

We could land Bosa, Jack or Buckner
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

For the purpose of this, the Chargers are taking Ramsey. They've already met with him three times and while their OL is a concern, they have talent, just had a lot of injured guys, meanwhile they really have nobody at safety so its not entirely implausible that they go safety. Dallas just lost a starting DE to suspension so its plausible that Bosa is now higher on their board, especially if Ramsey is gone.

So in this scenario where the 49ers move up, do you take the left tackle in Tunsil or the monster DE in Buckner?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 20, 2016 at 8:33 PM ]
I'd go Buckner. He looks like he could be a real force. Dominant against the run and can provide interior pass rush.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Apr 20, 2016 at 8:32 PM ]
Stay at 7 and still get any of those guys
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

For the purpose of this, the Chargers are taking Ramsey. They've already met with him three times and while their OL is a concern, they have talent, just had a lot of injured guys, meanwhile they really have nobody at safety so its not entirely implausible that they go safety. Dallas just lost a starting DE to suspension so its plausible that Bosa is now higher on their board, especially if Ramsey is gone.

So in this scenario where the 49ers move up, do you take the left tackle in Tunsil or the monster DE in Buckner?

I would take Buckner but I wouldn't be mad with taking Tunsil.
Just let an all-pro fall to us and keep picks.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Rumor has it that SD really likes Bosa, he might surprise and go to them at 3. What if Dallas takes Elliott at 4 even over some of the defensive players? I'm still holding out hope things will work out for SF in a week.

To answer your question, I'd love to move up to 5 if it meant Ramsey or Tunsil.
Take Buckner, then draft Haeg in the third.

Originally posted by FL9er:
Rumor has it that SD really likes Bosa, he might surprise and go to them at 3. What if Dallas takes Elliott at 4 even over some of the defensive players? I'm still holding out hope things will work out for SF in a week.

To answer your question, I'd love to move up to 5 if it meant Ramsey or Tunsil.
Ramsey falls to 5 we have to trade up before Baltimore gets him. That guy is my favorite prospect in this draft.
The Chargers are asking themselves the same question.
Though Tunsil is the best player in this draft, I think Baalke would go with the physical freak Buckner. I can't say I'd be upset.
Its a really hard choice and I'd luv to have Buckner but if Tunsil is there take him then Bulter in a trade back into tha late 1st round ...
Tunsil!!
Share 49ersWebzone