LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

9ersLiferInChicago Mock Draft – 2.0

After really thinking about it I think that Lambs draft trade is gonna effect a lot of teams. Before then I had our chances of getting Goff or Wentz better than 70-30. Now I see it as no chance. I only saw one team – the Browns – as the only team as a lock to draft a QB. Now with that trade I see Goff and Wentz going one and two, respectively. Again, I think this draft should be heavier on the defense. Personnel wise I honest think this roster already has much of what Chip Kelly needs to win, including along the O-line.

1. (7th overall)
OLB – Joey Bosa, 6-5, 269, Ohio St. (Shaq Lawson if Bosa is gone)
No need for explanation here. Will stand up play OLB in the NFL. But in certain NASCAR packages can put his hands in the dirt. Has J.J Watt written all over him. Bosa will solve multiple defensive problems for us due to his unblockability alone. Even as a rookie he's gonna command a double team (and unlike Aldon, Bosa will still be effective even when doubled). That'll leave Lynch and or Armstead 1-on-1.This will make our T-E stunt game deadly. Drafting Bosa will make our front 7 THE best in the league.

2. (6th of the 2nd)
QB – Paxton Lynch, 6-7, 244lbs, Memphis
Unless a team (Denver) reaches for him late in the first Lynch most definitely will be there for us at this spot. The Cowboys might get him at pick 3 of the 2nd, but I doubt it. The other teams picking before us at this point don't need QB's. Lynch will be perfect for Chip's offense. Big and strong in the pocket, big arm, and very accurate. I'm glad we're keeping Kaep, this will allow us to bridge in Lynch for 2017.

[Note] If Denver pulls the trigger on Lynch then we should go Conner Cook. While not as big as Lynch, he's still big, 6-4, 217, with room to get bigger. Quick decider who, when given time, will master an offence. In any event we gotta get the best QB available here.

3. (5th of the 3rd)
ILB – Scooby Wright III, 6-1, 240
This kid has Chris Borland (who had Zach Thomas) written all over him, but without the likelihood of a cowardice move. A real definition of a tackling machine. This is a relentless kid who plays with a very high motor.

4. (7th of the 4th)
CB – Maurice Canady, 6-2, 193lbs, Virginia
Good value here. Very good ball skills. Natural CB for his size. Shut-down ability. Physical at the LOS. Very good in run support. And, he's a very good return guy as well. Needs to play with more control.

5. (35th of the 4th, compensatory)
NG/DT - Hassan Ridgeway, 6-3, 303lbs, Texas
No real change here.

6. (3rd of the 5th, from San Diego)
OG/OT - Avery Young, Auburn, 6-5, 328
Still wanna get this kid, though earlier now. I see he's moving up draft boards fast.

7. (6th of the 5th)
CB - Daryl Worley, W. Virginia, 6-2, 204.
No change here

8. (37th of the 5th, compensatory)
WR – Chris Moore, Cincinnati, 6-2 / 206 lbs. 4-4 40 at pro day.
Deep threat without having to draft a tiny player. Great combination of size and speed. Really stretches the field. Will push somebody not named Tory Smith for playing time. Much run better routes (but so does most WR's coming out of college). Needs to be more deliberate coming off the LOS.

9. (3rd of the 6th, from Dallas)
SS – Jayron Kearse, 6-4, 217, Clemson
If the name sound familiar you'd be right. He's the nephew of one Jevon Kearse, and he's also the cousin of Phillip Buchanon. So the pedigree is definitely there, though more of the freakish athlete of his uncle. Jayron is big and imposing, and plays that way. An intimidating, big hitter. Decent ball skills, rangy, and surprisingly fast for his size. Will be a real missile on ST. Will have to learn to play under control and not over-run plays.

10. (32nd of the 6th, from Denver)
DE/DT – Anthony Zettel, 6-4, 277lbs. Penn State.
Not much change here.

11. (36th of the 6th, compensatory)
OG – Rees Odhiamabo, 6-4, 314lbs, Boise State
Very balanced kid, good in both pass and run blocking. Keeps a solid base with his feet, yet light and athletic on his feet. Agile enough to play OT in a pinch, especially in a zone blocking scheme. Very raw, still learning, but coming to a team with OG's in front of him he won't be relied on unless we suffer another injury bug. The biggest problem is his durability. But at least we won't be drafting an injured player. But I think this would be a late round steal here.

12. (38th of the 6th, compensatory)
RB - Devon Johnson, 6-0, 238, Marshall.
Picked a little later, but still will be there for us. Like I said, we got to get this kid in a 49ers uniform. Mark my words this kid will be talked about as being among the major steals in this draft. Like I said, he's everything we need in a RB – size, speed, won't go down, and good in pass protection. I would not be surprised to see this kid drafted late 5th, early 6th.

Thoughts
I don't know what I would do if all of those guys were available at those picks!

Keep in mind, Baalke says he picks the "best player available", so in his mind guys like A. J Jenkins, Tank, Mcdonald, Jimmy Ward, Marcus Martin, (and I can go on and on) are better than other guys on the board. For some odd reason I don't think Ballke would ever see the value in those picks you posted.

Great Job!
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
I would like to see O line addressed sooner, instead of going Lynch. Other than that, I like it.
I don't see any possibility of Lynch being around in the 2nd. His stock has really gone up since his Pro Day. People are talking about the possibility of him winding up in the Top 10.

Teams that could end up taking him in the 1st include the Eagles, Bears, Jets, Bills, Saints, Cardinals and Broncos. I expect him to be gone by 20.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 18, 2016 at 12:10 PM ]
I don't see Lynch dropping to our 2nd round.

Buffalo, Jets, Arizona, Denver could all take him in the first round. Dallas could jump all over him in the 2nd. Perfect pick for them. They don't have to reach for a QB in the top 5 and get a prospect who can sit behind Romo and really grow before needing to play.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I don't see any possibility of Lynch being around in the 2nd. His stock has really gone up since his Pro Day. People are talking about the possibility of him winding up in the Top 10.

Teams that could end up taking him in the 1st include the Eagles, Bears, Jets, Bills, Saints, Cardinals and Broncos. I expect him to be gone by 20.

Stop reading my mind
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I don't know what I would do if all of those guys were available at those picks!

Keep in mind, Baalke says he picks the "best player available", so in his mind guys like A. J Jenkins, Tank, Mcdonald, Jimmy Ward, Marcus Martin, (and I can go on and on) are better than other guys on the board. For some odd reason I don't think Ballke would ever see the value in those picks you posted.

Great Job!

VERY well made point.

The BPA scenario tends to be crap.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Agree

I see him as the 3rd QB taken - Philly??
Originally posted by genus49:
Stop reading my mind

If Lynch somehow fell to the late 1st, Steve Keim of the Cards would snap him up in a second. Perfect fit for their offense and he'd have a couple years to develop behind Palmer. The Cards beat guy here has already confirmed that Lynch or Ryan Kelly would be their most likely choices.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Agree

I see him as the 3rd QB taken - Philly??

Rumors are that a day after Lynch visited them, Philly pulled their trade offer for the #1 pick, so who knows what they are thinking.

Originally posted by genus49:
I don't see Lynch dropping to our 2nd round.

Buffalo, Jets, Arizona, Denver could all take him in the first round. Dallas could jump all over him in the 2nd. Perfect pick for them. They don't have to reach for a QB in the top 5 and get a prospect who can sit behind Romo and really grow before needing to play.
Yeah, I know that's a stretch. I think we might have to wind up settling for Conner Cook.
Originally posted by glorydayz:

Great Job!
Yup, and that's why "BPA" really grinds at me. BPA might not be the best for your team.

It won't surprise me if none of those picks are in a 49ers uniform after the draft. Perhaps Baalke should hire some of us as consultants on this
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Yeah, I know that's a stretch. I think we might have to wind up settling for Conner Cook.

Why "settle" for any QB? If your guy isn't there in this draft then move on to the next one. At least I hope that is how they see it because Cook seems to have bust written all over him.
Saw the first pick and was like saw the 2nd pick and was like

rather grab a stud OG than lynch in the 2nd IMHO (and I doubt he will be there) Like Phoenix said why "settle" for Cook? We aren't gonna find all our answers in one draft and QB might be one to shoot for next year...personally I'd rather draft Dak in the 3rd or 4th vs Lynch.

I see you went kinda heavy on DB too you think we are hurting there that much or we are lacking pass rushers? Overall not a bad mock I could live with it would rather go in a different direction at QB but your mock
If for some strange reason Lynch was there, then we'd have teams lining up to trade with us. I'm still hoping Buckner lasts to 7, so we can have an easy pick on our hands. Personally I don't see the reason to address the DB position at all, unless someone we really like slides hard, and it's a NO BRAINER to take that person. We have plenty of DB's on the roster, and we're set at safety as well. If Lynch is gone by our second pick (which he most likely will) then I think we need to get a elite guard like Garnett. I'd start looking for a QB in the 3rd or 4th, if Chip thinks Dak could do well in his system if given a year or two to develop, then I'd look to get Dak in the 3rd. There's no guarantee he lasts until our 4th round pick, and if Chip likes him, then we need to get him.

The rest of the draft, I'd be moving up and down to get the guys we want, and see what kinds of picks we could get for the 2017 draft in the process.
Share 49ersWebzone