LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

theninermaniac's Mock Draft Dream

This in no way is a Baalke draft. This is a draft I would do as GM. I differ from Baalke in that while we both want to collect extra draft picks, I would use them to trade and aggressively go after prospects that I covet. Baalke tends to hoard his picks and acquire lots of players. There are admittedly lots of holes on this roster, but more detrimentally there are few franchise, game-changing players.

I'm basing this mock on LA drafting Goff as their new QB at #1. I will be making a couple of trades. Here we go......

The 49ers trade Kaep to the Broncos for a 2017 conditional pick (3rd rounder that escalates to 2nd rounder with benchmarks for playing time and stats)

The 49ers trade up with Cleveland, trading away picks #7, #68, and #207 and receiving pick #2. It says on the draft pick calculator that this is slightly favoring Cleveland, but I don't care, because with the #2 pick Im taking...

1.2: Carson Wentz, QB, NDST : If the only knock you can have on a player is his level of competition, then you don't have much of a knock at all. Wentz checks all boxes that I need to make this move. He's big and athletic, killed the combine, killed the Senior Bowl, is a straight A student, shows great character and leadership qualities, has a big arm, has played in pro-style offense. I could go on. When I watch his film I see the best qualities of several NFL QBs. Cam's size and athleticism, Luck's smarts and leadership, etc. He can get through his progression quickly and make throws in to tight windows. I absolutely love his game, and think he could be a franchise QB for the Niners. Incredibly high ceiling and high floor.

2.37 Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana : Love the athleticism he brings to the position, and an investment into protecting the QB is paramount. He dominated the combine and had a great Senior Bowl as well. He has the long arms necessary to be solid in pass pro, and is experienced and durable. I think he would excel in a ZBS, and could eventually move over to LT when we move on from Staley. I actually think Staley is a pretty good comparison for Spriggs.

4.105 Kentrell Brothers, LB, Missouri : While his size and athleticism are questionable, his production is not. He is a tackling machine and plays with incredible instincts. He reminds me of Chris Borland. He's kind of small and short limbed, but he is always making tackles and can punish the ball carrier.

4.133 (comp) Rashard Robinson, CB, LSU : Great press corner with length and speed. Has character concerns, like most LSU prospects, but has supreme athletic ability. He looks a little skinny but has long arms and plays with attitude. He's boom or bust, but I'd take the risk considering the lack of depth at CB. Looks like a Cromartie clone.

5.142 C.J. Prosise, RB, Notre Dame : Has the build of a three-down back, and has the burst and speed to make big plays. He has little experience at the position, and could be a liability early on in pass pro, but at this stage Im drafting for high ceilings, which Prosise has. Love his burst and physicality, but he needs to learn the nuances of the position.

5.145 Leonte Carroo, WR, Rutgers : Has a thick muscular frame and can make contested catches. Looks great as a run blocker, and is as physical of a WR that you can find in this draft. He doesn't seem to be a deep threat WR, but more of a chain mover.

5.174 (comp) Landon Turner, OG, UNC : He is an absolute mauler in the run game. Huge human being with the natural power and the bulk you want in a RG. Not very agile or quick to react, but he moves his opponent backwards consistently.

6.178 Moritz Boehringer, WR, Germany : Boom or bust pick with Boehringer, but Im ok with that at this point. He has superior athletic ability to all other WR prospects in this years draft. 6'4 with 4.4 speed. I wouldn't expect him to come in and compete for a lead role right away, but he could be a mismatch in the redzone and should be able to help out with special teams.

6.211 (comp) Adam Gotsis, DE, Georgia Tech : Run-stopping DE with natural strength, long arms, and untapped potential. Plus he is an Aussie that used to play rugby, so it will give our friends from down under another player to start 1000 threads about. He has great size and strength for the position, and could be a part of the rotation that Chip will install.

6.213 (comp) Austin Blythe, C, Iowa : A bit undersized for most teams, but would help with a transition to ZBS. He has good strength and agility, and has a wrestling background. Iowa is known for two things, corn and offensive lineman. I'd take a gamble on Blythe at this point in the draft, and add depth to a depleted O line.

[ Edited by theninermaniac on Apr 17, 2016 at 2:24 PM ]
7,68 and 207 isn't close to enough to move up to 2. Using the NFL draft chart, you're short by about ~840 points which is a middle first round pick.
Originally posted by Heroism:
7,68 and 207 isn't close to enough to move up to 2. Using the NFL draft chart, you're short by about ~840 points which is a middle first round pick.

On the pinned draft calculator by Kolohe it looks legit. For the sake of argument we could include a 2nd round pick for 2017, especially since the Kaep trade netted an additional pick.
[ Edited by theninermaniac on Apr 17, 2016 at 2:29 PM ]
I use the Jimmy Johnson draft value chart

#2 pick=2,600

#7(1500)+68(250)+207(8.6)=1758.6

short 841.4 points

841.4=pick ~#20 in first round

Even if you throw in another second, you're still short about another second. Lol
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 17, 2016 at 2:38 PM ]
I like the player selections, though I think it will take an additional 2017 1st rounder to trade up to #2. It costs that much to trade up, especially when you're after a QB. Teams charge an arm and a leg.

This is a high upside draft with guys like Wentz, Spriggs, Robinson, Prosise, Boehringer, and Gotsis. Very talented athletes that need to be coached up.

Though I think Prosise and Carroo won't last until the 5th rd. Both very talented players. I'd be surprised if they lasted past early 4th rd, most likely selected in the 3rd.

Blythe is intriguing to me, only because I read that PFF gave him the highest grade on inside zone runs of any center in the draft by far. Inside zone is Kelly's bread-and-butter. Very short arms and limited athleticism means no versatility though. Probably limited to playing center only.
Ok, Ill add the Kaep 2017 pick from Denver, along with the Niners 2017 2nd round pick. The link to the draft calculator on the pinned thread has it as a fair trade though. Doesn't matter though, I'd happily leverage next years draft for being able to land Wentz. We should be able to get a fair amount of comp picks from this years offseason.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/46059-draft-value-chart-calculator-see-bottom/
[ Edited by theninermaniac on Apr 17, 2016 at 2:58 PM ]
ill pass..im not a big fan of Wentz as is..and not a fan of killing our draft for him..rather Dak Prescott in the mid rounds..but I do like every1 of your other picks..would be amazed if Carroo last until the 5th..cant see that happeneing..
When it comes to moving up for a QB, you can throw the draft value charts out the window. It always takes A LOT more than what the value charts may indicate.

While I like Wentz, I don't believe that he is the slam dunk that the media hype would indicate. Potential franchise QB but he's a guy who comes out of a stacked program that has won 5 straight national championships, having had less than a year and a half as a starter. Lots of upside, but a lot of work to do.

The only way you get him at #2 is by trading away next year's 1st rounder as part of the package, considering that 1st rounder will very likely be a Top 10 pick....and if you consider who will be available, there's no way that you give that pick up for anything. With their schedule that might turn out to be a Top 3 pick. Myles Garrett, Deshaun Watson, Cam Robinson, I wouldn't want to lose out on any of those guys.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 17, 2016 at 3:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
When it comes to moving up for a QB, you can throw the draft value charts out the window. It always takes A LOT more than what the value charts may indicate.

While I like Wentz, I don't believe that he is the slam dunk that the media hype would indicate. Potential franchise QB but he's a guy who comes out of a stacked program that has won 5 straight national championships, having had less than a year and a half as a starter. Lots of upside, but a lot of work to do.

The only way you get him at #2 is by trading away next year's 1st rounder as part of the package, considering that 1st rounder will very likely be a Top 10 pick....and if you consider who will be available, there's no way that you give that pick up for anything. With their schedule that might turn out to be a Top 3 pick. Myles Garrett, Deshaun Watson, Cam Robinson, I wouldn't want to lose out on any of those guys.

couldn't have said it any better..and everyone knows how Baalke works..so hes thinking the same exact thing you mentioned.always has the future in mind which I find great..
Washington moved up from 6 to 2 and it cost them wayyyyy more. Not a realistic trade especially moving up for a QB.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Washington moved up from 6 to 2 and it cost them wayyyyy more. Not a realistic trade especially moving up for a QB.

The Dolphins moved from 12 to 3 in 2013 and it only costed them an extra 2 (42). Not that unrealistic that we could move from 7 to 2 for a 2016 3rd and 4th + 2017 2nd.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
The Dolphins moved from 12 to 3 in 2013 and it only costed them an extra 2 (42). Not that unrealistic that we could move from 7 to 2 for a 2016 3rd and 4th + 2017 2nd.

Not for a QB.....especially when other teams like philly might want to move up.
Got to be realistic
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 17, 2016 at 5:18 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Not for a QB.....especially when other teams like philly might want to move up.
Got to be realistic

It not like we tell them who we are going to pick when we trade. And a 2016 3rd and 4th round pick, along with a 2017 2nd round pick, seems more than fair to move up 5 spots. Any way, compensation aside, the point is we move up for Wentz. If you prefer, imagine we are moving to 4 with Dallas and getting Wentz.
[ Edited by theninermaniac on Apr 17, 2016 at 5:37 PM ]
It not like we tell them who we are going to pick when we trade. And a 2016 3rd and 4th round pick, along with a 2017 2nd round pick, seems more than fair to move up 5 spots. Any way, compensation aside, the point is we move up for Wentz. If you prefer, imagine we are moving to 4 with Dallas and getting Wentz.

It doesn't matter, if a QB is expected to be the pick, the cost will be through the roof, always has been. You can basically ignore the draft value chart when it comes to division rivals and quarterbacks.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 17, 2016 at 6:29 PM ]
WRT Wentz, I'm glad you're not our GM...IMHO he's not worth giving up that much to get him. The only player I'd trade up for is Buckner...because he's worth it. Baalke might need to trade up 1 or 2 spots to get him, so not nearly as expensive to get. Hopefully, he won't have to trade up.

Spriggs is a good OT...but at #2 I'd take Garnett, which IMHO is a bigger need. I fully expect Trent Brown to be our starting RT. I'm considerably more sold on him than I am Tiller at RG.

By not trading to get Wentz, 3rd rd is a good spot to draft a big WR...like Boyd, Pharoh Cooper or my unsung hero Geronimo Allison. OT would also be a good pick here.

Not huge on Brothers...but can appreciate his ability to play both ILB and OLB. For a pure ILB, I like Blake Martinez from Stanford. The thing about drafting an ILB is I don't see any of 'em beating out Hodges. But for depth, it's fine.

Love the Robinson and Procise picks. Not so much for Caroo, which is why I have them taking a better WR in the 3rd. Here's why I'd probably take a QB like Hogan.

Taking a flyer on Boehringer...I love it! Very interesting mock.
Share 49ersWebzone