LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

AB's 1st(and maybe only) 2016 Mock

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by rivercity:
Getting Floyd and Garnett would be amazing, but most boards have them ranked higher. MadDog, for example, has Floyd 19 (mid-first), Garnett 39 (high 2nd). I think you've got them too low, but nice work all around. That would be a fine draft.

Thanks man, I know I have Floyd and Garnett low, I like a lot of other players more than them, it's what's great, not everyone agrees on positioning of players on boards. Love this time of the year.

I also have strong support for your picks.

Like others, I think trading down from #7 to @#20, picking Conklin/Spriggs, acquiring another second to get Garnett/Westerman/Ryan Kelly. Use a 4th or 5th round pick, and select Floyd/Dodd/Sua Cravens.

Also, I'd go RB (Keith Marshall/Tyler Ervin) rather than two WRs.

RB is the only position I didn't address, probably would have went with Ervin or Marshall, I like both a lot.
Jason you do not see us taking a Rb at all? I for one do not have faith in the crew we have.
Like what you're doing. I'm not a huge fan of the late QB approach, but if we do go that way, this would work for me. Love the Floyd and Listenbee picks.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Jason you do not see us taking a Rb at all? I for one do not have faith in the crew we have.

I'd bet on them taking one at some point, the way it went down, none were there for me. But yeah I would bet on 1 back being taken. I like DuJuan Harris and Shaun Draughn, but would like a real #2 back going forward.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Like what you're doing. I'm not a huge fan of the late QB approach, but if we do go that way, this would work for me. Love the Floyd and Listenbee picks.

Thanks FunkyChicken.

I think if we fail, and we likely will, at getting Goff or Wentz, then late round QB is likely, unless we get Dak in round 4.
So I did a 6 round mock for my website, you can check it out here, http://pigskinprospects.com/jasons-sixth-2016-nfl-mock-draft-april-15th-2016/

I did 6 rounds for a reason, as we don't have a 7th rd pick, yet anyway lol.

But here we go. I didn't do this as who I neccessarly want, but how the picks happened.

7. OT Ronnie Stanley, Notre Dame
37. OLB Leonard Floyd, Georgia
68. OG Joshua Garnett, Stanford
105. WR Charone Peake, Clemson
133. CB Sean Davis, Maryland
142. ILB Steven Daniels, Boston College
145. DE Javon Hargrave, South Carolina State
174. NT Trevon Coley, Florida Atlantic
178. QB Kevin Hogan, Stanford
207. PK Roberto Aguayo, Florida State
211. WR Kolby Listenbee, TCU
213. OLB Alex McCalister, Florida.

Reason why I chose Stanley over either Buckner, or Jack is due to the unknown of Anthony Davis' future, and Trent Brown being not there just yet, plus Stanley could slide to LT after Staley is gone.

I like the draft AB but the one thing that turns me off to Stanley is the fact that people question his desire for playing the game already. To me this is the same issue with Davis. Many people go through life working jobs that they don't like or have parts of that job that they don't like. They leave college with loan bills and have to work to pay them. College athletes like Stanley don't have this issue so the money they make which is a huge sum goes toward the now and the future if they are smart. Stanley has to have some brains to get into Notre Dame. As we have seen in a growing trend, more players are retiring for "health reasons". Fine, I get that, but it also has to do with the fact that they are now very well paid and some actually have brains so it means that the game doesn't have to be important to them. The Niners have had a rash of this lately. Willis, Borland, Davis. They love the game, just not enough to play a full career. So, why draft a guy who has this question coming out of college? Stanley passes the eye test. That is no question. His level of play is top two in this draft, but for the simple question of heart and love of the game, I would pass. We used to have to worry about a players negative character issues. Now we have to worry about their motives as well. Davis is a prime example. As much as we need a RT, Stanley has that one big question.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by English:
Hogan, and two O linemen in the first 3 picks? I can live with that J.

Hell yes!!!
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
So I did a 6 round mock for my website, you can check it out here, http://pigskinprospects.com/jasons-sixth-2016-nfl-mock-draft-april-15th-2016/

But here we go. I didn't do this as who I neccessarly want, but how the picks happened.

Reason why I chose Stanley over either Buckner, or Jack is due to the unknown of Anthony Davis' future, and Trent Brown being not there just yet, plus Stanley could slide to LT after Staley is gone.

I like the draft AB but the one thing that turns me off to Stanley is the fact that people question his desire for playing the game already. To me this is the same issue with Davis. Many people go through life working jobs that they don't like or have parts of that job that they don't like. They leave college with loan bills and have to work to pay them. College athletes like Stanley don't have this issue so the money they make which is a huge sum goes toward the now and the future if they are smart. Stanley has to have some brains to get into Notre Dame. As we have seen in a growing trend, more players are retiring for "health reasons". Fine, I get that, but it also has to do with the fact that they are now very well paid and some actually have brains so it means that the game doesn't have to be important to them. The Niners have had a rash of this lately. Willis, Borland, Davis. They love the game, just not enough to play a full career. So, why draft a guy who has this question coming out of college? Stanley passes the eye test. That is no question. His level of play is top two in this draft, but for the simple question of heart and love of the game, I would pass. We used to have to worry about a players negative character issues. Now we have to worry about their motives as well. Davis is a prime example. As much as we need a RT, Stanley has that one big question.

Some people are questioning his desire. Yea maybe.

But which people? And all people? Or some people?

I heard an interview with Stanley himself. Granted this is on npr and everything even sounds soft, but Stanley was upset with the way he's labeled. He's a good, soft spoken kid. Yea he doesn't have a mean streak but he's the best pass blocking OT in the draft.

And maybe, just maybe you're the Eagles, peters has been getting hurt lately, you need OL help and you hope the lololol niners pass on him. So you help feed the rumors. They hate chip anyways.

I would do my homework, but if he checks out im taking Stanley or Bosa at 7.
[ Edited by Big_Daddy on Apr 16, 2016 at 11:59 AM ]
Good mock AB...I'd be a bit disappointed taking an OT that high but it would certainly solidify our OL with Stanley and Garnett! CBS has Floyd rated as their 18th best player on their board so not sure he will last to the second round. They also have Garnett ranked #60, ahead of the niners pick at 68...but that's their board not their mock.

This mock would allow the niners to use Davis as trade bait and have Brown as the backup or starter. It would also put pressure on the young guys, Thomas and Martin, to blossom quickly or get by-passed by Garnett.

Many of your later picks would be fun to watch in TC, pushing guys who are on the cusp of developing. Daniels, in particular, intrigues me. His height is depressing his value but at ILB he might be the type of guy who disappears into the line and pops the RB or QB before they know where he came from!
Originally posted by NCommand:

7 - Ronnie Stanley, T (6'6" 312 5:20)
37 - Joshua Garnett, G (6'5" 325 5.32)

I too, had these as well and seriously considered Hogan as well. Really nice job and wouldn't it be great if Garnett fell to 68!?

Thanks NC, I would love Garnett, even in round 2, But that's how this draft worked out, never know of course.

Naturally!

Originally posted by NCommand:
7 - Ronnie Stanley, T (6'6" 312 5:20)
37 - Joshua Garnett, G (6'5" 325 5.32)

I too, had these as well and seriously considered Hogan as well. Really nice job and wouldn't it be great if Garnett fell to 68!?

Garnett isn't falling that far, if he's there at 37 he better be a Niner.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Good mock AB...I'd be a bit disappointed taking an OT that high but it would certainly solidify our OL with Stanley and Garnett! CBS has Floyd rated as their 18th best player on their board so not sure he will last to the second round. They also have Garnett ranked #60, ahead of the niners pick at 68...but that's their board not their mock.

This mock would allow the niners to use Davis as trade bait and have Brown as the backup or starter. It would also put pressure on the young guys, Thomas and Martin, to blossom quickly or get by-passed by Garnett.

Many of your later picks would be fun to watch in TC, pushing guys who are on the cusp of developing. Daniels, in particular, intrigues me. His height is depressing his value but at ILB he might be the type of guy who disappears into the line and pops the RB or QB before they know where he came from!

Thanks dtg. Appreciate the words as always.
Really starting to like the idea of taking 2 O-linemen early..the fact is if you win in the trenches you control the game..but then again I love Buckner and Jack and if they were available I think 1 of the 2 will be the oick..but i also like Floyd, Peake, and Davis a lot..if it went down like this I wouldn't complain..i really do love the idea of trying to solidify the offensive line tho..good job and thanks..
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Really starting to like the idea of taking 2 O-linemen early..the fact is if you win in the trenches you control the game..but then again I love Buckner and Jack and if they were available I think 1 of the 2 will be the oick..but i also like Floyd, Peake, and Davis a lot..if it went down like this I wouldn't complain..i really do love the idea of trying to solidify the offensive line tho..good job and thanks..

Yeah I agree with you, win in the trenches, so either a OL or DL in rd 1 is where I'm at.

And thanks, I also like Floyd, Peake and Davis a lot.
To me Bosa looks alot like a young Justin Smith. He's got that compact power build. Won't be a sack artist but solid at POA and will get push now and again. Mostly he will help free up an OLB.

It would be hard to really go wrong at #7. I just think OL and DL is where we end up. CB could also be a position we hit on. Otherwise I trade back mid teens and take Lynch. For those that think he is like Kap take a look at the college films of both on Youtube. There is a lot of difference. Even then, Kap was a was look and throw pony. And bouts of inaccuracy. Much of the highlights are him running. Lynch has comfort in the pocket that Kap never seems to have had yet he's not afraid to pull it and go and he can motor for the size.
Share 49ersWebzone