LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

Phoenix 49ers 2016 Mock Draft V3.0

I've redone this mock draft a few times, deleted and started over, based on everything that has happened, the players that the 49ers have met with, team needs and who BPA is expected to be I've put together a pretty straightforward draft. The biggest issue I've had figuring out is QB, looking around I pretty much opted to punt with Gabbert for this season, hopefully be in position for a guy like Watson or even Falk if Gabbert doesn't work out.

The team has so many needs that you can't fill them all in one draft, trying to fit all of them seems like a half measure so I went with the best available players in key areas. I anticipate that a Kaepernick will get worked out by the draft and that the 49ers will end up receiving a 3rd rounder from Denver.

Round 1-49ers(Trade down with Tennessee). With Buckner and Jack gone, the 49ers elect to move down. Titans trade picks #15 and #43, and a 5th rounder in 2017 to move up. Tennessee still needs a left tackle, they supposedly liked both Tunsil and Stanley. Jumping up to #7 guarantees them one of those players while they still have a bundle of extra picks to trade. Alternatively the 49ers could trade down with Miami who move up for Elliott after struggling to pick up a RB all offseason.

Round 1-Jack Conklin-OT-6'6", 310-Michigan State. Conklin may never be a left tackle in the NFL......and that is okay. He is one of the most game ready players in this entire draft. Not the most agile guy but performed well with the zone blocking that Michigan State ran. Very balanced blocker with long arms(35") can pass and run block well, a mauler in the run game, tough, blue collar type of guy that could be a good right tackle in the NFL for a decade+. He would be a starter for the 49ers from Day 1. I've gone back and forth on Conklin but the more I think about it, the more sense makes for the 49ers. I like his demeanor and attitude, he also held his own against both Joey Bosa and DeForest Buckner. Conklin says that he has tried to pattern his game after Joe Staley.....now he gets to play with him.

Round-1-49ers move up with the KC Chiefs. 49ers trade their 2nd rounder, Broncos 3rd rounder and a 2017 4th rounder to move up to #28

Round 1-Vernon Butler-DE-6'4", 325-Louisiana Tech. 49ers move up to add this massive, versatile lineman to the defensive of the ball. With long arms, explosive power, a mean streak a mile long and versatility to play anywhere on the DL, Butler is a great fit. Just as with Conklin he is a guy who could start from the get go or be worked in and rotate with Dial. He needs some development but he has the tools and upside to be a dominant DE in a 3-4. Nice player for the new DL coach to work with, 49ers have shown interest in Butler throughout the pre-draft process.

Round 2(Titans)-Josh Garnett-OG-6'4", 315-Stanford. Chip Kelly recruited Garnett while he was at Oregon, now he gets to coach him. Both Baalke and Kelly high five with this pick. Garnett is another tough, physical lineman, a mauler as a blocker that is exactly the sort of player that Kelly needs for his inside zone running game. Last year the 49ers running the football to the right side was a suicidal proposition, with Conklin and Garnett, a substantial weakness has been greatly improved. Garnett's family is comprised of 49ers fans and he has expressed interest in staying in the area which certainly doesn't hurt.

Round 3-Xavien Howard-CB-6'0", 200-Baylor. Howard is the bigger sort of CB that both Baalke and Kelly are fans of. Physical CB, has a tough demeanor, very well versed for the man coverage that O'Neil runs, a ballhawk that shows good awareness and tracking of the football once it is in the air. More fluid than what might be expected from a bigger CB.

Round 4-Malcolm Mitchell-WR-5'11", 200-Georgia. Boom or bust pick here. 1st round talent that has dealt with a series of injuries. Has enormous, reliable hands, catches everything that comes with his way. Has improved substantially as a route runner, very precise, had catches on a myriad of different routes. Shows no fear going across the middle of the field. A good guy to have around to move the chains on offense. If he stays healthy, this is a huge value pick.

Round 4(Comp)-Tyler Ervin-RB-5'9", 192-San Jose State. An intriguing change-of-pace back that could play a Sproles like role for the 49ers. Ervin would come in and get carries right away. Along with Hyde and Davis and whoever else makes it, that would comprise a decent young group of RB's and now they'd actually have an OL that could block and create holes for them.

Round 5(San Diego)-Nick Kwiatkoski-ILB-6'2", 240-West Virginia. I really like Kwiatkoski a lot. Former safety that switched to LB, has been incredibly productive for West Virginia. Very smart player with outstanding football instincts and the guy lives to light people up on the football field. Reliable tacker that has done well dropping back in coverage(7 INT's), a team leader with outstanding character. If he can't take over a starting spot at ILB, his future could be as a special teams demon.

Round 5-DJ Reader-NT-6'3", 330-Clemson. The popular pick around here for NT and with good reason. Versatile and athletic, Reader comes with good upside and would help to fill in depth at a crucial area.

Round 5(Comp)-Dadi Nicolas-OLB-6'3", 240-Virginia Tech. Nicolas is drafted as a developmental pass rusher. Pure speed rusher, older but still pretty raw, first step is lightning quick, not a guy that is very physical or can hold up against the run, strictly a third down pass rusher at this point, could also figure in on special teams due to his athleticism.

Round 6(Dallas)-Vernon Adams-QB-5'11", 200-Oregon. I'm not the biggest fan of Adams, I've made many a reference about the CFL in conjunction to him but I think once you get beyond Goff and Wentz this draft turns into a huge crapshoot. I like Prescott a lot but I saw better value in the draft at other positions. With Adams the upside is that you get a guy who knows the offense. You get a guy who is mobile, who can run away from pressure with very good accuracy on shorter throws. He is also a very good improviser who is one of the best QB's in the draft at throwing on the run. I'm not convinced that the guy will last in the NFL but at this point in the draft he is worth a shot and his familiarity with the offense was the tipping point for me here.

****The crazy Youtube video error ate up the last part of my mock, I'll update the pick writeups later.

6th Round(Denver)-Quinton Jefferson-DE-6'4", 285-Maryland. Another guy that I like a lot. Experienced DL that has played in both a 3-4 and a 4-3. Talented pass rusher that could stand to add some bulk, could be a nice guy for Azzinaro to work with, brings some pass rush on 3rd downs. Has had injury issues in the past. Has already met with the 49ers once this offseason.

6th Round(Comp)Kivon Cartwright-TE-6'3", 240-Colorado State. H-Back type prospect. Good natural hands and athleticism, can be very inconsistent as a blocker, had an ACL tear in 2014 so this could be a Baalke injury special. Has been productive when healthy.

6th Round(Comp)-Taveze Calhoun-CB-6'0", 192-Mississippi State. 49ers showed interest in Calhoun at the Miss. St Pro Day. A guy with great intangibles, good character, tremendous leadership ability, tough, slight build, not great speed but a very smart player that could contribute as a backup or as a starter.

Summary-I think this draft really helps address needs on the OL and DL. In particular you get some hard-nosed, tough, hit you through the whistle types in Conklin, Garnett and Butler. With Conklin and Garnett I think the right side of the OL becomes instantly improved. An OL group of Staley, Beadles, Kilgore, Garnett and Conklin is light years away from the group that started last season.

One of Kelly's adages is that "Big people beat up little people", well with this draft, with Conklin, Garnett, Butler and Reader you add some real size and attitude to the roster, guys that will be the ones beating people up and not getting beat up.

Another aspect that I looked at is leadership which is something that Kelly puts a lot of emphasis on. With Conklin, Butler, Garnett, Mitchell, Kwiatkoski, Adams and Calhoun, this team gets added leadership in spades.

Looking forward for 2017, OLB, QB and potentially WR are all areas of need IMO. If Gabbert doesn't work out then there is the possibility of a guy like Watson or Falk, with the very outside chance of Adams eventually developing into a starter. OLB may or may not be a need depending on how Eli and Nicolas come along. WR just depends how guys like Patton, Ellington, Mitchell and Smelter do this upcoming season.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 18, 2016 at 11:41 AM ]
I notice you're really emphasizing Vernon Adams Jr. You must really like him. A very plausible acquisition for us, especially in the later rounds. Maybe even UDFA.
That O-line would definitely be solid with Conklin and Garnett. Not to mention Butler. I like it Phoenix!
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
I notice you're really emphasizing Vernon Adams Jr. You must really like him. A very plausible acquisition for us, especially in the later rounds. Maybe even UDFA.

No, not really. The scheme fit is what makes sense to me. Its hard enough for a rookie coming in, already being familiar with the offense provides a big leg up. I think Adams could potentially be a decent backup, in the 6th round that isn't bad value.
Sort of surprises me but I like it. Bringing in two starters for the OL and either starters or depth for the DL would be wonderful. This would really help solidify the lines and until this happens, all else is window dressing. I'm still hoping Buckner falls but in a way it would be better to go elsewhere as DL is a deep suit of this draft!

I agree about Adams...if they can bring him in to help in TC it would be a boon whether he sees the field during the year or not. He could help teach the system to others.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Apr 15, 2016 at 8:02 PM ]
I love that your early focus is on the trenches..that's where it all starts..I like Howard a lot and his size and speed..and very true about the Mitchell pick..if not for his knee injuries he would've been a 1st round pick..and the more I think about it the more I can see kwiatkoski being drafted by Baalke..good job man..with this draft hopefull Gabbert will have more then 2 seconds to throw an underneath pass lol
Originally posted by ivanm05:
That O-line would definitely be solid with Conklin and Garnett. Not to mention Butler. I like it Phoenix!

This. Instantly turned the trenches into a strength. Nicely done
Originally posted by jersey49er:
I love that your early focus is on the trenches..that's where it all starts..I like Howard a lot and his size and speed..and very true about the Mitchell pick..if not for his knee injuries he would've been a 1st round pick..and the more I think about it the more I can see kwiatkoski being drafted by Baalke..good job man..with this draft hopefull Gabbert will have more then 2 seconds to throw an underneath pass lol

Looking back at last years Eagle's offense, their OL was really their downfall. QB is highly important and I think that it will have to be addressed early in a near future draft but you have to be able to run the ball inside or this offense really doesn't work. With Conklin and Garnett you get two hard-nosed guys that are excellent run blockers.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by jersey49er:

Looking back at last years Eagle's offense, their OL was really their downfall. QB is highly important and I think that it will have to be addressed early in a near future draft but you have to be able to run the ball inside or this offense really doesn't work. With Conklin and Garnett you get two hard-nosed guys that are excellent run blockers.

Yeah I agree I've always said you win and lose in the trenches and for anything to work the offensive line has to be on point and work as 1..I think number 1 is to fix the line bc last year no matter who was behind center they wouldn't succeed..id honestly like to see what Gabbert can do with time..maybe he will take shots down the field..I hope
Thank you for doing this mock, so now I don't have to do one. I have started a few of them, bith before after the trade, and have the 49ers moving down to get either Conklin and then trading back up to get Butler and Garnett in round 2. It easily makes the most sense for a rebuilding team

Now this is a Baalke-like draft. Terrific job Phoenix!
Love the beginning of this draft. Not a huge Adams fan but if the draft ended up like this, I'd be very happy
This mock draft got me excited. A plus. I don't think baalke will pick a RB. Baalke seems to have the ability to find productive backs off of the street. Last year's squad had 3 or 4 legit starters that can back up hyde or take over in case of injury.
[ Edited by PacTiger on Apr 15, 2016 at 8:58 PM ]
Originally posted by PacTiger:
This mock draft got me excited. A plus. I don't think baalke will pick a RB. Baalke seems to have the ability to find productive backs off of the street. Last year's squad had 3 or 4 legit starters that can back up hyde or take over in case of injury.

They've picked a RB almost every single year, no reason to change now.

The guys off the street were great when they had nobody else but there is a reason those guys were out on the street in the first place. I don't see anything wrong with bringing a guy like Ervin and letting him compete for a spot. I definitely expect a RB to be drafted somewhere.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 15, 2016 at 9:02 PM ]
  • crew
  • Veteran
Really like your direction, similar to what I would do, trade down to #15 with Titans. Conklin and Garnett would transform OL and Butler would help solidly front 3 on DL.
One change I would do is take Peake in the 4th over Mitchell.
Share 49ersWebzone