LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 346 users in the forums

Wentz/Goff or Watson/Kaaya

Who do you think has the higher potential? Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that St. Louis traded ahead of the 49ers. This way we get to build the D and wait until next year and may be able to chose between Watson or Kaaya...who to this point in time seem like much better prospects.
1. Watson

2. Wentz
3. Goff

4. Kayaa

Kayaa would also be a terrible fit for Kelly's offense. Dude is an absolute statue, really heavy feet, just lumbers around, makes Goff look like Russell Wilson. I think that Luke Falk could pass him up and be the 2nd QB taken next year, if not the first even. Falk is a similar player to Goff, plays in pretty much the same scheme.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 15, 2016 at 9:40 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
1. Watson

2. Wentz
3. Goff

4. Kayaa

Kayaa would also be a terrible fit for Kelly's offense. Dude is an absolute statue, really heavy feet, just lumbers around, makes Goff look like Russell Wilson. I think that Luke Falk could pass him up and be the 2nd QB taken next year, if not the first even. Falk is a similar player to Goff, plays in pretty much the same scheme.
Agree about Falk. I think he'll be a 1st rounder after this year. Love his story too. Former walk-on, no starting for WSU and putting up great numbers. And like you said, same scheme as Goff.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
1. Watson

2. Wentz
3. Goff

4. Kayaa

Agree about Falk. I think he'll be a 1st rounder after this year. Love his story too. Former walk-on, no starting for WSU and putting up great numbers. And like you said, same scheme as Goff.

I don't see it with Falk.
Watson isn't a real pro QB. He's a bust waiting to happen.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by pdizo916:

I wouldn't exactly call Watson a bust or stud yet, but I think people are overrating him.

I easily take Goff and Wentz over Watson and Kaaya every day of the week and twice on Sundays!!! For one Goff and Wentz have prototypical size, Watson isn't that much bigger than Mike Vick, 6'2" 206 pounds. What's gonna be interesting is Watson at the Combine, will he measure in at 6'2" 200 pounds or will he be 6'0" 200 pounds, college always over inflates players measurables. The off season is when all top 10 or 1st round draft picks are heavily scrutinized, and I'm gonna put my money on Watson falling out of the top 10.
What about Kelly from Ole Miss or Beathard from Iowa next year? Both are pro style QB's.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by niko13:
What about Kelly from Ole Miss or Beathard from Iowa next year? Both are pro style QB's.

I see future bust in Kelly, he's a head case, been arrested and kicked off a Clemson team, major red flags. CJ Beathard, IMO, a little on the small side for the NFL and not enough production IMO to be considered a 1st round pick, this season will make or break him.
Rather have JT Barrett than Bye Felicia's baby

For those confused, Brad Kaaya's mom played Felicia in the movie Friday
[ Edited by TheRambler on Apr 26, 2016 at 12:56 PM ]
Originally posted by goldstandard:
I don't see it with Falk.

What don't you see? I see a guy who right now looks to be a late 1st or early 2nd rounder but could move up considerably if he has a good season.

Originally posted by pdizo916:

Kind of what some were saying about Mariota. Watson is super athletic but he has also shown that he is capable of performing well from the pocket against the best defenses in the country

With Deshaun Watson putting on a spectacular performance (478 total yards and four scores) in the 2016 College Football Playoff National Championship Game, the Clemson quarterback is squarely on the radar of evaluators searching for a franchise player to track at the college level.

Measuring 6-foot-2, 205 pounds with outstanding speed, quickness and agility, Watson is a dynamic dual-threat quarterback poised to set the college football scene on fire with his magical skills. He capably picks apart opponents with pinpoint passes from inside the pocket, but he's also a deadly playmaker capable of ripping off long runs on impromptu scrambles and designed QB keepers. Watson's unique combination of athleticism and arm talent should allow him to easily transition into a pro-style offense that features several movement-based concepts on the perimeter.

In addition, Watson displays the pocket poise, football IQ and pocket-passing skills to thrive in a system that's built on West Coast Offense principles. With Watson also capable of executing the zone-read and "RPO" (run-pass option) game from the backfield, he could be the ideal new-school quarterback to build around at the next level.

Against Alabama in the CFP National Championship Game, Watson showcased his diverse game on the biggest and brightest stage. He connected on 30 of 47 passes for 405 yards with four touchdowns and an interception. Watson picked apart the Crimson Tide with an assortment of quick-rhythm throws (slants, seams and sticks) from the pocket out of empty and trips (3x1) sets. While most spread quarterbacks shine on these concepts, Watson's anticipation, accuracy and ball placement was outstanding for a sophomore quarterback appearing in just his 23rd collegiate game.

From his footwork to his poise and judgment, Watson plays the game like a seasoned veteran from the pocket. The Tigers took advantage of his skills by featuring a ton of "catch-and-fire" throws that allow him to target a receiver on a quick pass or find an available running lane on a QB draw. This combination concept not only tested the discipline of the Crimson Tide's coverage, but the integrity of the pass rush at the line of scrimmage, as well.

On seam throws directed between the hashes, Watson shows exceptional touch and timing delivering the ball between multiple defenders. He repeatedly connected on in-breaking routes to Hunter Renfrow and Jordan Leggett with the ball released well before the receivers hit the top of their routes. With "middle-of-field" throws considered the toughest for young quarterbacks to master, Watson's pinpoint passing on these routes will pique the interests of scouts looking for a deadly playmaker from the pocket.

Watson was also impressive pushing the ball down the field on vertical throws on a variety of movement passes from the pocket. He repeatedly delivered "dimes" to his receivers running free along the boundary, including his 31-yard touchdown pass to Renfrow on a wheel route in the first quarter. Watson's ability to make accurate throws on the run, particularly to his right, prevented the Crimson Tide from sending heavy pressure due to the unpredictable launch points on the perimeter. With Watson also displaying dazzling skills as a "scramble-and-toss" artist on the move, the young passer has the potential to create chaos on the perimeter.

As a deep-ball thrower, Watson shows outstanding arm strength and range on vertical routes. He easily drops the ball "down the chute" on throws down the boundary, but also displays the zip and velocity to fire the ball between defenders on seam routes along the hashes. Although he misfired on a few deep balls early in the game, Watson's deep-ball anticipation and touch is something scouts will rave about when reviewing the tape in the coming weeks.

From a critical standpoint, Watson needs to continue to work on exhausting the pass progression before fleeing the pocket. He occasionally drops his eyes and looks to flee the pocket before he waits on his second and third read in the progression. Granted, Watson's athleticism and elusiveness make him a dangerous threat to score from anywhere on the field. However, the sophomore must show scouts he can deliver pinpoint passes with pass rushers in close proximity to cement his status as the top playmaker in the collegiate game.

Overall, Watson reminds me a lot of Marcus Mariota as a dual-threat quarterback. He possesses rare athleticism and movement skills, yet also has the potential to pick opponents apart from the pocket. With at least another year to refine his skills, Watson could join Mariota as a Heisman Trophy winner and top draft pick down the road.

Kayaa is kaaka
1. Watson

2. Wentz
3. Goff

4. Kayaa

Came in to post this. Unless we get #1 overall next year odds are we're not getting Watson. Which is fine with me. I'm expecting another big season from Falk and love the kid even more now after that article you posted.

As you said...he's made for Chip even if he doesn't have the rushing ability to really set him over the top.

Plus I'm sure Cleveland traded out of their #2 spot this year looking ahead at taking Watson. You know Hue Jackson is chubbed up thinking about him in his offense after using this draft to retool.
Originally posted by genus49:
Came in to post this. Unless we get #1 overall next year odds are we're not getting Watson. Which is fine with me. I'm expecting another big season from Falk and love the kid even more now after that article you posted.

As you said...he's made for Chip even if he doesn't have the rushing ability to really set him over the top.

Plus I'm sure Cleveland traded out of their #2 spot this year looking ahead at taking Watson. You know Hue Jackson is chubbed up thinking about him in his offense after using this draft to retool.

Wouldn't be suprised if we are top 5, worst schedule in the NFL with one of youngest teams in football...Watson could be a serious option and would be a monster in chips offense
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Wouldn't be suprised if we are top 5, worst schedule in the NFL with one of youngest teams in football...Watson could be a serious option and would be a monster in chips offense

We'll see, can't see Cleveland winning more games than us though. I think we forget just how incompetent our coaches were last year.

Only concern I have about Watson is the same one all athletic QBs have...can they hold themselves back from running while there are passing options out there. That and I'd like to see his release get a little quicker. It's not bad but I can see it being a reason for extra turnovers in the NFL vs college.
Share 49ersWebzone