LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Rams deal is the best thing to happen for the niners!

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Lol at the idea that our pick is somehow more valuable as a result of this trade.

NFL teams clearly value Wentz/Goff quite highly if the Rams were willing to give up that much to trade up for one of them. Our pick would have been more valuable if one of the QB's made it to 7 somehow. Instead we're likely to get the 6th or 7th BPA (we still have no shot at Tunsil and not much of a shot at Ramsey).

Whoever the Rams pick at #1 would not have made it to #7 anyways so this doesn't really impact the 49ers at all other than that the team trading up is in our division.

This. 49ers could end up with the leftovers of Bosa and Stanley. Both of whom I feel pretty meh about.

Stanley doesn't love the game. Then again, do any of them anymore?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by barrymartin:
This is his make or break moment. Keep wondering what we would have had to give up to get to #1. Probably way to much to make it justifiable. But maybe the only choice is to move to #2 if the Rams don't draft the guy they want, which I believe is Goff. If Goff is truly a top 15 QB like MadDog says, you have to draft him even if it means moving up to #2. Phoenix has shown that franchise QB's are almost always taken in the 1st round. To reboot this franchise for long term success you need a franchise QB and this team does not have one, period. Can anybody here really argue for Kap or Blaine? Would anyone really want to bet that Cook or Prescott or even Lynch or Franchise QB's.. Don't think so...

Well, sure No.1 might have been too much if you look at it in isolation, but I look at it quite differently. First of all, I had always said No.3 was the minimum just in case the Cowboys were to decide to grab a future franchise QB or another team jumped ahead of the 9ers to do the same. Well, as it turned out that team was the Rams which went all the way to No.1.

If you think about it, may be the Rams didn't need to go No.1, may be No.3 could have been enough to land them one guy between Goff and Wentz. Well, either they have a distinct preference on one of the QBs or may be they knew they already would be breaking the bank to get to 3, so how much more would it take to get to No.1? If is marginal, why not just go for it and be the boss who decides who they want as opposed to taking the leftover pick from the Browns?

So, here is my point with regards to the 9ers. If indeed the 9ers had considered about trading up, may be as high as to No.3 for the sake of discussion. That meant they were already prepared and willing to entertain the cost involved to get to 3. So, say what if they had half a hunch a team might go for broke and may be to be safe they felt they needed to go to 1? Couldn't they have gone through the same chain of thoughts that I just detailed above for the Rams. Sort of, heck we are already coughing up this much, why not just pay a little more and get it done? If you look at it that way, may be it would make more strategic sense.

Like Phoenix had said almost most franchise QBs are taken in the 1st round. I also looked into it, yes the bust rate might be high, but out of the current crop of starting QBs for the 32 teams, if I am not wrong before Peyton retired, 20 of them were all 1st rounders. It is what it is, in other words, if you are serious about getting the next franchise QB that is what you need to do. Just look at the most recent example, 2 QBs went 1 and 2 in last year's draft. You could fancy your chances and go for some guy in the 2nd or 3rd round, but in essence the later you pull the trigger the lower your chance of success in hitting the right guy. Is like when you want to buy a designer suit, you need to go to shops like Giorgio Armani, you don't go to some discount store. But, will you ever be able to find a nice piece once in a blue moon from the discount store? May be, like a Russell Wilson, but that is a lottery pick that teams get lucky on, is like Tom Brady the 199th pick or even our own Joe Montana, a 3rd rounder. All these picks are based on luck as in well why not give it a try is only a 3rd round pick anyway? That is the premise of such picks and it probably wouldn't have mattered much if they busted out as teams would have other options.

Let's face it, if we were in the market for a franchise QB last year (which we should have been), we would have gone through the same thing if we were drafting at 7th. In other words, should we have traded up to get our guy, but I guess unfortunately both the Bucs and Titans needed a franchise QB badly. Or if you look ahead to the 2017 draft, if we were drafting at around 7th and again we would be going through the same process, the chances are we would have to trade up to grab Deshaun Watson. In other words, there is no free lunch in this world, if you want a top QB prospect you will have to pay for it or unless you decide to tank your games the season before to lock down that high draft pick. There is just no way around it. We have seen it all before, every year there is a major need for franchise QBs, they almost always go high in the 1st round.

Bottom line, Baalke didn't do jack as usual. The Balke supporters will go oh he was never going to go QB anyway and thank God he didn't blow a bunch of picks. Well guess what? I have news for you folks, you are only delaying the inevitable, the chances are eventually you will still have to trade up to get your guy in the coming drafts only it will be worse down the road. Why? Cos you would have improved the D and the 9ers' record might improve as time goes by which means we will be drafting even lower than 7th, may be even in the mid teens like the Rams were. What would you do then? Pull a Rams? LOL. We would be back to where we started. This just goes to show Baalke has no planning, no foresight whatsoever.
Originally posted by Rascal:

So, here is my point with regards to the 9ers. If indeed the 9ers had considered about trading up, may be as high as to No.3 for the sake of discussion. That meant they were already prepared and willing to entertain the cost involved to get to 3. So, say what if they had half a hunch a team might go for broke and may be to be safe they felt they needed to go to 1? Couldn't they have gone through the same chain of thoughts that I just detailed above for the Rams. Sort of, heck we are already coughing up this much, why not just pay a little more and get it done? If you look at it that way, may be it would make more strategic sense.

Like Phoenix had said almost most franchise QBs are taken in the 1st round. I also looked into it, yes the bust rate might be high, but out of the current crop of starting QBs for the 32 teams, if I am not wrong before Peyton retired, 20 of them were all 1st rounders. It is what it is, in other words, if you are serious about getting the next franchise QB that is what you need to do. Just look at the most recent example, 2 QBs went 1 and 2 in last year's draft. You could fancy your chances and go for some guy in the 2nd or 3rd round, but in essence the later you pull the trigger the lower your chance of success in hitting the right guy. Is like when you want to buy a designer suit, you need to go to shops like Giorgio Armani, you don't go to some discount store. But, will you ever be able to find a nice piece once in a blue moon from the discount store? May be, like a Russell Wilson, but that is a lottery pick that teams get lucky on, is like Tom Brady the 199th pick or even our own Joe Montana, a 3rd rounder. All these picks are based on luck as in well why not give it a try is only a 3rd round pick anyway? That is the premise of such picks and it probably wouldn't have mattered much if they busted out as teams would have other options.

Let's face it, if we were in the market for a franchise QB last year (which we should have been), we would have gone through the same thing if we were drafting at 7th. In other words, should we have traded up to get our guy, but I guess unfortunately both the Bucs and Titans needed a franchise QB badly. Or if you look ahead to the 2017 draft, if we were drafting at around 7th and again we would be going through the same process, the chances are we would have to trade up to grab Deshaun Watson. In other words, there is no free lunch in this world, if you want a top QB prospect you will have to pay for it or unless you decide to tank your games the season before to lock down that high draft pick. There is just no way around it. We have seen it all before, every year there is a major need for franchise QBs, they almost always go high in the 1st round.

Bottom line, Baalke didn't do jack as usual. The Balke supporters will go oh he was never going to go QB anyway and thank God he didn't blow a bunch of picks. Well guess what? I have news for you folks, you are only delaying the inevitable, the chances are eventually you will still have to trade up to get your guy in the coming drafts only it will be worse down the road. Why? Cos you would have improved the D and the 9ers' record might improve as time goes by which means we will be drafting even lower than 7th, may be even in the mid teens like the Rams were. What would you do then? Pull a Rams? LOL. We would be back to where we started. This just goes to show Baalke has no planning, no foresight whatsoever.

For one thing, if Goff or Wentz -- whomever the Rams pick -- turns out to be a franchise QB, it'll be because the Rams personnel around him are already more than capable of letting him develop into one and not get killed in the process. If either of those guys were drafted by the Niners and have to play behind that sorry-ass OL for a full season, he'll become Alex Smith AT BEST and more likely David Carr.

And for everyone carrying around Deshaun Watson's jockstrap in their teeth, there's a good chance he won't be the top rated QB at the end of the college season. And unless every other team in the NFL is decimated with the Zika virus this season, there's an excellent chance the Niners will be picking in the top three spots in the next draft and grab a top QB or any other stud they want.
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Apr 15, 2016 at 9:01 PM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
For one thing, if Goff or Wentz -- whomever the Rams pick -- turns out to be a franchise QB, it'll be because the Rams personnel around him are already more than capable of letting him develop into one and not get killed in the process. If either of those guys were drafted by the Niners and have to play behind that sorry-ass OL for a full season, he'll become Alex Smith AT BEST and more likely David Carr.

And for everyone carrying around Deshaun Watson's jockstrap in their teeth, there's a good chance he won't be the top rated QB at the end of the college season. And unless every other team in the NFL is decimated with the Zika virus this season, there's an excellent chance the Niners will be picking in the top three spots in the next draft and grab a top QB or any other stud they want.

First of all, don't worry about the O-line, we could easily take a couple of O-linemen in the draft. The only fxxk-up is Baalke didn't do sh*t in free agency to help ease the pressure on the line.

So, are you saying we passed on Goff or Wentz cos we are banking on a total collapse in the coming season then? LOL.
  • KP82
The biggest gain I see in this is that Kaep will likely be our starter going into this season. Which is a huge PLUS cause he was damaged goods with Chryst as his OC.

Im hoping Kelly can take full advantage of Kaep's mobility and the guy can revive his career here in San Fran.

Plus now we focus on BPA rather than draft a position player just for the sake of...
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Stanley doesn't love the game. Then again, do any of them anymore?

This game is a job for all athletes. They are just people and they got bills. If you had a job where you get your head bashed in you might not love it either. The NFL uses athletes like cheap hookers. Its only right the players start using them back. The NFL is a business and a blood sport, and they have proven they care little for the short or long term safety of the players. Why should players have to love the game if the game doesn't love them back?
If by some chance Goff gets by the Browns, then their could be a bidding war between the Eagles, And our Niners to get to the next spot that is open to a trade before our pick at # 7 that is not good eats....
Originally posted by Rascal:
First of all, don't worry about the O-line, we could easily take a couple of O-linemen in the draft. The only fxxk-up is Baalke didn't do sh*t in free agency to help ease the pressure on the line.

So, are you saying we passed on Goff or Wentz cos we are banking on a total collapse in the coming season then? LOL.

1. We need 4 offensive linemen. And in 2 years we'll need another to replace Staley. And arguably someone this year to back him up...OL depth is appallingly thin. It's unclear whether the line as a whole zone block effectively, and while everyone. Tiller and Brown may have the most potential, but Tiller is a journeyman 6th round pick, and Brown was a 7th round pick. At best both are unproven, at worst they will play to low expectations. Everyone else is a question mark. There are some people who think Kilgore is a competent center, but that is damning by faint praise. The center is supposed to be a leader, call blocking assignments, and have the OL operating like a cohesive, well-oiled machine, but we've seen none of that in the years since Goodwin left. Even the Niners saw that, and tried to draft his replacement in Marcus Martin, who has underachieved. Barring a miracle, it will take three years at the top of the draft to collect enough talent for the offense to attain any consistency, much less keep the quarterbacks from career-ending injuries.

2. I don't think the Niners were seriously interested in either QB this year, and rightly so. They have so many other needs that a QB would have to be seen as buying a Tesla when one's house is nearly in foreclosure. We don't know who's at the top of the team's draft board, and while it's possible they'd have picked a QB at 7, my hunch is they'd trade down to a desperate team for additional picks this year and next (assuming an outright stud didn't drop to that pick). And I don't think they expect to win more than 4 or 5 games this season, either, regardless of the puffery they exhibit in press conferences, any more than Cleveland or other bottom-dwellers do. They are almost an expansion team made up mostly of young, unproven players, and other teams' castoffs. The few stars they have can't make the team competitive with a crappy OL and a front 7 with some holes and almost no depth. They need to be rebuilt from the inside out, and honestly a QB is almost the last thing they need at this stage to do so.
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Apr 16, 2016 at 5:49 AM ]
Jeff Fisher and their GM are pretty desperate. Goff and Wentz aren't the only QBs left on the planet. Well, for fisher and their GM goff/wentz are their last hope.
Share 49ersWebzone