There are 198 users in the forums

Deion Jones ILB LSU

Just held a workout with Jones and I think he would fit in nicely next to Bowman.

He is undersized but he is super fast and quick. perfect for defending RBs running routes from the backfield and defending TEs on short to intermediate routes. He needs to become a more consistent tackler and only has one year of starting experience so it could take him a year or two to get to a high playing level but it would be worth the wait.

What do you guys think? late 2nd, early 3rd?
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Just held a workout with Jones and I think he would fit in nicely next to Bowman.

He is undersized but he is super fast and quick. perfect for defending RBs running routes from the backfield and defending TEs on short to intermediate routes. He needs to become a more consistent tackler and only has one year of starting experience so it could take him a year or two to get to a high playing level but it would be worth the wait.

What do you guys think? late 2nd, early 3rd?

If he's chilling in the 3rd I'm all over it and move up for DAK!
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I think Morrison will be a better player.. the guy is just nasty and instinctive!!
Originally posted by 9moon:
I think Morrison will be a better player.. the guy is just nasty and instinctive!!

who is Morrison? From what school?
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by 9moon:

who is Morrison? From what school?

Late round pick from Florida

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/antonio-morrison?id=2555160
Just read Morrison's profile and a 5.1 40 yd dash at 232 lbs no thanks
Love Jones. He's not making it to the 3rd. I expect him to be selected early in the 2nd.
Originally posted by Ayeeee1:
Just read Morrison's profile and a 5.1 40 yd dash at 232 lbs no thanks

He's got that inner dawg. He'll get along well with Ray Ray Armstrong.
However, teams will have to check into his background due to two arrests (punching bouncer, barking at a police dog/resisting arrest) within five weeks in the summer of 2013.
Just don't understand why Zoners keep including this guy in mock drafts for the Niners. He is an undersized 4-3 OLB who maybe better suited to play safety in the NFL, not an ILB. He would have to pack on around 35 lbs just to get up to Borland's size. Not a fit for the 3-4 defense.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Just don't understand why Zoners keep including this guy in mock drafts for the Niners. He is an undersized 4-3 OLB who maybe better suited to play safety in the NFL, not an ILB. He would have to pack on around 35 lbs just to get up to Borland's size. Not a fit for the 3-4 defense.

Then why did Trent bring him in for a workout? Speed, he loves speed. Jones is fast and instinctive.

Originally posted by strickac:
Then why did Trent bring him in for a workout? Speed, he loves speed. Jones is fast and instinctive.

Agree, he's an intriguing athlete. Could be a steal in the late 2nd-early 3rd.

At 222 lbs he's a bit undersized. Probably needs to gain 15-20 pounds at least. But size is less of a concern in today's NFL. That's why you have teams like Arizona using a safety like Buccanon at ILB.

The bigger 2-down run stopping ILB is not really wanted anymore. The NFL wants rangy sideline-to-sideline defenders that can cover. Jones can do that.

Here's NFL.com's write-up on him:

BOTTOM LINE
Three-down linebacker prospect with outstanding athleticism and a willing, aggressive mindset for the position. Jones lacks the playing experience that most linebackers in this draft will have so he might need a year of tutelage on the NFL level to help him expedite his learning curve. Jones could be a fit at ILB for a 3-4 team or as an outside linebacker in a 4­-3. Jones' potential as a special teams cover man gives him a shot to get early playing time.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

35lbs? That's a stretch. Willis and Bowman are 240. This kid has weighed in from 222-231. I'd target 235 for his weight. 13lbs would be plenty. I agree he's a better fit at OLB in a 4-3 but not many college teams play a 3-4. Most NFL 3-4 inside guys started outside. Most college ILB are too slow
Originally posted by davidboutte:
35lbs? That's a stretch. Willis and Bowman are 240. This kid has weighed in from 222-231. I'd target 235 for his weight.

Why? He was 222 at the combine. And players usually drink a bunch of water before weigh-ins to make it look like they're heavier than they are (which makes their speed times look more impressive). I don't see any reason to give him a range of 222 to 231 when you're going off of weights listed in college.

This isn't to say he can't add weight, but there's no reason to assume he already has.
Stud.

Yup, I was right.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 11, 2018 at 1:33 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by strickac:

Agree, he's an intriguing athlete. Could be a steal in the late 2nd-early 3rd.

At 222 lbs he's a bit undersized. Probably needs to gain 15-20 pounds at least. But size is less of a concern in today's NFL. That's why you have teams like Arizona using a safety like Buccanon at ILB.

The bigger 2-down run stopping ILB is not really wanted anymore. The NFL wants rangy sideline-to-sideline defenders that can cover. Jones can do that.

Here's NFL.com's write-up on him:

BOTTOM LINE
Three-down linebacker prospect with outstanding athleticism and a willing, aggressive mindset for the position. Jones lacks the playing experience that most linebackers in this draft will have so he might need a year of tutelage on the NFL level to help him expedite his learning curve. Jones could be a fit at ILB for a 3-4 team or as an outside linebacker in a 4­-3. Jones' potential as a special teams cover man gives him a shot to get early playing time.

I get your point but 1 team (AZ) out of 32 is certainly nowhere close to trend-setting. All the other 3-4 teams want/have two big guys in the middle
Share 49ersWebzone