LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 341 users in the forums

MadDog49er Big 253 Board

MD, I've heard some people say Derron Lee can play ILB or OLB. What position do you see him as his best fit and could he play either position in our 3-4 defense?
Originally posted by jreff22:
not to be a giant pain in the ass but can you bold each player that sits at one of our picks lol

I edited my original post ... it includes the names of the players as -- MadDog -- listed. Hopefully this helps you.

Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:
As a Point of Reference:

• 1st Round - Pick # 7 ... Ronnie Stanley Notre Dame OT

• 2nd Round - Pick # 6 - 37th Overall ... Noah Spence Western Kentucky DE

• 3rd Round - Pick # 5 - 68th Overall ... Nick Martin Notre Dame C

• 4th Round - Pick # 7 - 105th Overall ... Jordan Howard Indiana RB

• 4th Round - Pick # 35 - 133rd Overall, Compensatory ... Dean Lowry Northwestern DE/DT

• 5th Round - Pick # 3 - 142nd Overall, via the Chargers ... DeAndre H-Carson William and Mary S

• 5th Round - Pick # 6 - 145th Overall ... Devon Cajuste Stanford WR

• 5th Round - Pick # 37 - 174th Overall, Compensatory ... Dominique Alexander Oklahoma LB

• 6th Round - Pick # 3 - 178th Overall, via the Cowboys ... Adam Gotsis Georgia Tech DT

• 6th Round - Pick # 32 - 207th Overall, via the Broncos ... Wendell Smallwood West Virginia RB

• 6th Round - Pick # 36 - 211th Overall, Compensatory ... Denver Kirkland Arkansas OT/G

• 6th Round - Pick # 38 - 213th Overall, Compensatory ... Dominique Robertson West Georgia OT
[ Edited by FlayvaMeister on Apr 13, 2016 at 4:39 PM ]
Originally posted by Luckycharms:
MD, I've heard some people say Derron Lee can play ILB or OLB. What position do you see him as his best fit and could he play either position in our 3-4 defense?

Saw Lee play in every game of his career. Far exceeded expectations from fans and teams. Flies around the field, excellent in coverage, quick change of direction. I do think he is overrated, however, since he misses a LOT of tackles. Might be correctable at the next level, but not a complete player yet. Second round value but he will be gone by the 32nd pick. He is an outside backer, probably best in a Tampa-2 system. I don't think he is a good fit in a 34 defense at all. Mediocre in run defense.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Luckycharms:

Saw Lee play in every game of his career. Far exceeded expectations from fans and teams. Flies around the field, excellent in coverage, quick change of direction. I do think he is overrated, however, since he misses a LOT of tackles. Might be correctable at the next level, but not a complete player yet. Second round value but he will be gone by the 32nd pick. He is an outside backer, probably best in a Tampa-2 system. I don't think he is a good fit in a 34 defense at all. Mediocre in run defense.

I agree. He'll go too early because he's an athletic freak. He gets to the ball, but misses arm tackles. You can see the same thing with Scooby.

They make you understand the appeal of taller, long-limbed prospects.
MadDog - is there that much of a gap between Tunsil & Stanley?

Both look the part and everything I see on tape from Stanley is pretty solid. Got some technique/balance issues to clean up but overall would be very, very satisfied if we took him at pick 7.
Maddog--

How much of a gap is there separating Wentz and Goff?

From your posts it seems like you would advocate the Niners trading up to get Wentz, do you feel that it is the best interests of the Niners to move into the top 5 for Goff or stay put and take BPA at 7 and address the QB position next year?
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
It's here!!!!

Thanks, MD.

Wait all year for this bad boy.
Nice to see you back MD, hoping one of us, or both of us can get in that range of 203 players picked.

Oh noticed an error, 37 Noah Spence Western Kentucky DE, should be, 37 Noah Spence Eastern Kentucky DE
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Nice to see you back MD, hoping one of us, or both of us can get in that range of 203 players picked.

Oh noticed an error, 37 Noah Spence Western Kentucky DE, should be, 37 Noah Spence Eastern Kentucky DE

Everyone knows your two boards are the best!
Damn, MD. Spot on with the QBs taken at 1 and 2.

So are we good with drafting Ronnie Stanley?

• GORO
  • Veteran
Bucker, Bosa or Stanley what to do Trent? Or does He draft Floyd and continue to surprise us in first round.
Originally posted by strickac:
I agree. He'll go too early because he's an athletic freak. He gets to the ball, but misses arm tackles. You can see the same thing with Scooby.

They make you understand the appeal of taller, long-limbed prospects.

Few guys can be as efficient with small arms like Chris Borland. Guys like Scooby and Jatavis Brown are going to have to overcome those short arms
Originally posted by amosmac28:
MadDog - is there that much of a gap between Tunsil & Stanley?

Both look the part and everything I see on tape from Stanley is pretty solid. Got some technique/balance issues to clean up but overall would be very, very satisfied if we took him at pick 7.

I see Stanley as a better pass protector, and Pro Football Focus came out a month ago and stated that Stanley did barely outgrade Tunsil in that area. Tunsil is the superior run blocker, and quite honestly, moved around in the combine drills with much more ease and athleticism than Stanley. I flipped my ranking on these two guys after the combine drills. He simply has a better upside.

I doubt we draft Stanley at 7. I could see a trade down if we are targeting OT and go for Conklin, and excellent run blocker. I think he would fit better as a RT and give Kelly the run blocking skills to run either left or right for the team.
Originally posted by joey82:
Maddog--

How much of a gap is there separating Wentz and Goff?

From your posts it seems like you would advocate the Niners trading up to get Wentz, do you feel that it is the best interests of the Niners to move into the top 5 for Goff or stay put and take BPA at 7 and address the QB position next year?

Well, the ship has sailed for the first pick, and we can see the ammo needed to move up for the top picks. It seems like the Niners' smoke right now points to staying at 7, getting the best player, and seeing what they have with Gabbert. I like Wentz better than Goff. Bigger, stronger, faster, and I think better leadership skills. Goff is so technically good, and is solid under pressure. Two nice QBs to have, but Wentz is the better long-term player.

If Goff is the pick at 1, which some speculate, the Niners should take a long look at trading up to 2, but I think the Browns are going QB, so it won't matter.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Good luck to you this year. As always, I know you put in a massive amount of time. Thanks for the catch on Spence. He is definitely not a Hilltopper.
Share 49ersWebzone