There are 196 users in the forums

Who Do You Want??

Who Do You Want??

Originally posted by WildBill:
However unlikely, there is an option, that if we keep Kaep (and he actually flourishes under Chip), Kaep stays all in. As the saying goes winning often times is a cure all. Even though yourself and others don't like Kaep and have given up on him.

I'd say the odds of that are pretty slim seeing that in terms of his skillset, he's just not a great fit for the offense, at least not the offense that Kelly has run in the NFL thus far.

But eitherway, I don't think his presence on the roster changes their approach to this upcoming draft in anyway. If they really like a QB and think he could be a star, I don't think the unlikely odds of Kaepernick finally putting it all together after 6 years will stop them from taking that guy.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 7, 2016 at 5:01 PM ]
Originally posted by PacTiger:
I'm not a big fan of taking QBs high in the first round. I like getting top tier athletes 1st and 2nd round.

Well when you look at most of the top QB's in the NFL, that is where they are found. If you want a top QB, your odds are the highest in the 1st and decrease steadily after that.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by WildBill:
However unlikely, there is an option, that if we keep Kaep (and he actually flourishes under Chip), Kaep stays all in. As the saying goes winning often times is a cure all. Even though yourself and others don't like Kaep and have given up on him.

I'd say the odds of that are pretty slim seeing that in terms of his skillset, he's just not a great fit for the offense, at least not the offense that Kelly has run in the NFL thus far.

But eitherway, I don't think his presence on the roster changes their approach to this upcoming draft in anyway. If they really like a QB and think he could be a star, I don't see Kaepernick being a reason for them to pass up on that guy.

People think that Kelly will run the offense that he did in Oregon, that's why Kap will/should flourish. If anything Kelly's offense in the NFL has been the exact opposite.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
People think that Kelly will run the offense that he did in Oregon, that's why Kap will/should flourish. If anything Kelly's offense in the NFL has been the exact opposite.

The way I look at it, Kaepernick, set to turn 29 this season is going to need a complete overhaul. He's still very much a project and a guy that needs a ton of work. Mechanically he's behind some of the QB's coming out in this draft that are 6, 7 years younger. If you aren't in a hurry and your team is not likely to be very good next year, why go through the rehab process when you can just start with a younger QB and put all that effort into them.

Its like a used car that you can get a smoking hot deal on, but then after you include the costs for a new engine, new transmission, for fixing a broken axle, doing some upholstery work....it gets to the point where with all the added costs, maybe you're just better off springing for a new model.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:

The way I look at it, Kaepernick, set to turn 29 this season is going to need a complete overhaul. He's still very much a project and a guy that needs a ton of work. Mechanically he's behind some of the QB's coming out in this draft that are 6, 7 years younger. If you aren't in a hurry and your team is not likely to be very good next year, why go through the rehab process when you can just start with a younger QB and put all that effort into them.

Its like a used car that you can get a smoking hot deal on, but then after you include the costs for a new engine, new transmission, for fixing a broken axle, doing some upholstery work....it gets to the point where with all the added costs, maybe you're just better off springing for a new model.

Like I said Phoenix, you and I agree on a lot of things and this is another one I agree with you on. Your analogy is spot on, it very much makes sense that the 49ers start fresh with a new QB along with their new head coach. Re-watching games from this past year I just don't see how Kaepernick fits in with Kelly's offense. So far Kelly's offense from what I've seen is the type of offense that is quick hitting by effectively spreading the ball around, looking short to medium. And from what we've seen of Kaepernick he's just not that QB, Kaepernick is the type of QB that will hurt you when the running game and play action is working for him, But when things aren't going his way in a game he get's flustered, falls behind and start's to throw erratic passes and get's too itchy and bails from his pocket too early at times.

Much rather start with a new QB and move on from the Harbaugh era.
He's got tremendous talent and upside but he's a project in every sense of the word. In terms of NFL readiness, Willis was about as developed and ready to start from Day 1 as anyone in the past 20 years.

Jack, for all the hype about his talent, didn't really have the production to go along with it. He is an upside guy and has the talent to be an excellent player in the NFL but I don't know how you look at him as anything else but a project at this point.
Willis lacked cover skills but made up for it in speed , range and tenacity , a great backer no doubt. Miles has the talent if given the same supporting cast Willis had, to be just as good. A guy like Miles is good enough to put your starting defense, you find a place for play makers. I think he would do well with Bowman, another good all around backer, who was arguably our best backer , not Willis. I don't see Miles a project because He has the talent to start as a 3 down backer, not a situational player, those are projects. Again Miles and Tunsil are y picks at 7, Miles@ MLB.
Slightly off topic but what do you guys do for the draft (e.g. watch a home with friends, family, go to a bar, etc).
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I want two picks in the first round

Yes It would be nice,QB and....ILB,OLB?
I want Gabbert to win the QB comp. Is is prefect fit for chips offense.
1st. Go buck or jack
2. OT springs or G from Stanford
3. Qb dakk
4. Rb Irvin
4. Trade up and get Wr from clemons or caroo
If Goff is gone, i saw take Elliot and then try to get Cook or Lynch with our 2nd maybe move up to late round 1 if need be. I'm tied of having a crappy offense. Time to start hanging 42 on opponents like the Niners of the early 90's did.

Originally posted by iceberg450r:
If Goff is gone, i saw take Elliot and then try to get Cook or Lynch with our 2nd maybe move up to late round 1 if need be. I'm tied of having a crappy offense. Time to start hanging 42 on opponents like the Niners of the early 90's did.

How is Elliot going to accomplish that? I get that he is talented as all get out, but in Chip's offense he'll get maybe 20 carries? You'd waste the 7th pick in the draft on that when there are so many other holes to fill?
Originally posted by TOtheGreat:
I want Gabbert to win the QB comp. Is is prefect fit for chips offense.
1st. Go buck or jack
2. OT springs or G from Stanford
3. Qb dakk
4. Rb Irvin
4. Trade up and get Wr from clemons or caroo

I could live with this if Goff if gone for sure!
Originally posted by dsmith_49erz:
He's got tremendous talent and upside but he's a project in every sense of the word. In terms of NFL readiness, Willis was about as developed and ready to start from Day 1 as anyone in the past 20 years.

Jack, for all the hype about his talent, didn't really have the production to go along with it. He is an upside guy and has the talent to be an excellent player in the NFL but I don't know how you look at him as anything else but a project at this point.
Willis lacked cover skills but made up for it in speed , range and tenacity , a great backer no doubt. Miles has the talent if given the same supporting cast Willis had, to be just as good. A guy like Miles is good enough to put your starting defense, you find a place for play makers. I think he would do well with Bowman, another good all around backer, who was arguably our best backer , not Willis. I don't see Miles a project because He has the talent to start as a 3 down backer, not a situational player, those are projects. Again Miles and Tunsil are y picks at 7, Miles@ MLB.

Um...Willis didn't lack cover skills. He just lost a step towards the end of his career.
Originally posted by BunkoBenny:
Slightly off topic but what do you guys do for the draft (e.g. watch a home with friends, family, go to a bar, etc).

The draft is usually on my bday so we go out and have drinks and I usually curse out who SF drafts lol
Share 49ersWebzone