There are 147 users in the forums

How mad will you be if...

Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by ChipKelly:
in baakle we trust!!!

said no one ever......

Actually that was said quite often..............3-5 years ago.

With the team that Scott McCloughlin built lol

Yeah guys like Rachal and Balmer were certainly key pieces. For all the knob slobbing that McCloughan gets, the dude bombed the only two drafts that he actually ran for the 49ers.
Originally posted by FL9er:
Check this out Phoenix, if you have the time:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000649763/article/drafting-qb-might-not-be-smart-move-for-browns

The article doesnt really say anything new. If you choose the wrong QB, it can set you back, the same goes for any player you take in the 1st round.

The Browns missed on several QBs but they passed on possibly the best one they had a shot at drafting in Big Ben. The Falcons, Ravens and Panthers all started rebuilds and turned their teams around by taking QBs.

If you take the wrong QB then it is definitely back to the drawing board.

If you pass on the right QB then you are pretty much in the same boat. Imagine if Gruden had taken Aaron Rodgers to play for him in Tampa instead of going with Cadillac Williams, how much differently things might have ended up there.
I hate Cook I would rather have just about anyone else.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
If they pass on Goff and if the kid happens to light it up elsewhere, noone and I do mean noone should have the right to survive that.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-hq/0ap3000000650130/How-the-2005-draft-changed-the-fate-of-the-49ers
Torches and pitchforks!!
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Goff is available at 7, but we decide to draft the tackle from ND, and C.Cook in the 2nd?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by dsmith_49erz:
If Miles or Tunsil are there at 7 then it makes sense but, picking Goff at 7 would tear my nerves up. We need the best available O line and pass rushers with our first 4 picks. Goff will not offset our inability to run / run block or pass block...nor will he help put pressure on the opposing QB's. I say no to any QB within the first 4picks, ideally I see the 2 top linemen and 2 top pass rushers as our first 4 picks, all are immediate needs.

The best OL in the world means jack if you dont have the right QB behind it.

Historically its far far easier to find effective OL in the later rounds and in FA than it is to find a quarterback.

Go look at what the Cowboys stacked OL did for them after Tony Romo went down last year. From playoff team to picking in the Top 5.

If you have what you consider a franchise QB available, you dont pass on them for anything else. This notion of "first you gotta build up the team and then worry about a QB" sounds great in theory, rarely works out in practice. The worst teams are always going to be the best positioned to take a top QB prospect.

I'd rather that this team be terrible for a couple years than turning into the Rams and being 7-9 or 8-8 forever.

Good call!

The bold statement says it all.

If Trent/Chip really don't believe either guy is a "franchise QB" then we should pick elsewhere.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good call!

The bold statement says it all.

If Trent/Chip really don't believe either guy is a "franchise QB" then we should pick elsewhere.

I agree. Don't draft a QB just to draft one, if you're sold on a guy then you find a way to draft him, otherwise don't force the issue, that is how you wind up being Mike Holmgren drafting Brandon Weeden because he decided that he MUST have a QB.

Yeah guys like Rachal and Balmer were certainly key pieces. For all the knob slobbing that McCloughan gets, the dude bombed the only two drafts that he actually ran for the 49ers.

I just wonder how many different variations there are of Scott's last name..
The best OL in the world means jack if you dont have the right QB behind it.

Historically its far far easier to find effective OL in the later rounds and in FA than it is to find a quarterback.

Go look at what the Cowboys stacked OL did for them after Tony Romo went down last year. From playoff team to picking in the Top 5.

If you have what you consider a franchise QB available, you dont pass on them for anything else. This notion of "first you gotta build up the team and then worry about a QB" sounds great in theory, rarely works out in practice. The worst teams are always going to be the best positioned to take a top QB prospect.

I'd rather that this team be terrible for a couple years than turning into the Rams and being 7-9 or 8-8 forever.

The real unknown here is franchise QB, just because you are drafted top 10 as a QB, does this mean you are a franchise QB?
History has repeatedly said no..ie...Browns , Bengals , Bears , Rams etc....
My take is no to Goff, he isn't that much better than the 1st through 3rd round QB, not a serious drop of in talent. If you miss at any other position it is easier to stockpile players or be scheme specific. This can't be done with a QB because it slows team progress. Remember Alex Smith, #1 pick who was and is a game manager, not a game changer. Taking Goff at 7 isn't a investment, it's a gamble.

Goff is available at 7, but we decide to draft the tackle from ND, and C.Cook in the 2nd?

Connor Cook at any point in the draft would have me irate.

I second that
f**k Baalke

Seething... I will officially join the Trent Baalke pitchfork crown
Connor Cook at any point in the draft would have me irate.

+1
Originally posted by hashtagnumber80:
I just wonder how many different variations there are of Scott's last name..

At least as many as there are of his first name.

Scot McCloughan.
Share 49ersWebzone