There are 207 users in the forums

Hightop's 2nd 2016 mock

Presuming Goff is gone and M Jack is on the board(as some pundits predict) 49ers trade C.K.to Denver getting an extra 3rd the following:(1) Myles Jack ILB UCLA easy choice
;(2)Josh Garnett OL Stanford;
(3)Bronson Kaufusi DE B.Y;
(3b) Cardale Jones QB Ohio -Raw,needs time but could surprise in a year or two under Kelly;
(4) Miles Killebrew OLB/S S.U. small school monster;
(4b)Malcom Mitchell WR Georgia underrated;
(5)Isaac Seumalo C Oregon St.;
(5b)Vernon Adams QB Oregon playmaker;
(5c)Peyton Barber RB Auburn another underrated player ;
(6) Mike Thomas WR S Miss-sleeper of the year imo;
(6b)KeiVarae Russell CB N.D. ;
(6c)Jatavis Brown LB/S tweener Akron;
(6d)Kaimi Fairairn K UCLA
[ Edited by hightop on Apr 3, 2016 at 10:26 AM ]
Not bad but that center doesn't play for Ohio State!
Sorry about Seumalo faux pas, should have been Oregon State!Now corrected.
[ Edited by hightop on Apr 3, 2016 at 11:08 AM ]
I'm down with this
Since07- thanks
Not really a jones fan not sure he's a fit for chips offense...I see a team like the steelers or cardinals (with their vertical offense) being interested in him.

I Like Killebrew but we drafted tartt last year where's he going to play?

Is Mitchell a 100% he was injured a lot in college.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Jones is a fit
Originally posted by fan49:
Jones is a fit

Explain?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/cardale-jones?id=2555426

Read what his weaknesses are, poor accuracy even with simple slants. Failed to execute timing throws with rhythm...he has as much upside as anyone in the draft but IMO he's weaknesses are what chip looks for as stegnths in his Qbs. He's far away from being a starting QB in this league( has under 300 throws under his belt!)
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 3, 2016 at 4:01 PM ]
don't like either QB
Would Wentz be available in this scenario? Wouldn't want Cardale Jones either. Vernon Adams would be fine as the 3rd QB. Like the rest of the picks.

Cardale Jones will be there later, we need players, not someone who is going to need a year or more to learn the game. Otherwise I like this draft.
NYniner85-I have some some questions as to C. Jones fit in Kelly's system as well.Although the accuracy issue is more complex than the simple write off some ascribe,paraphrasing Matt Waldman's detailed examination of his game" His accuracy from the set position is star caliber on the long ball(50yd range) but needs work in the reset- out of the platform- in mid range(30yd), his opposite hash accuracy is very good,his pumps fakes are lethal (as are Vernon's) and release and delivery are good.He scrambles well and is a load when he takes off to run but suffers from poor decision making", an aspect of his game which could simply come from low mileage at the helm. Ultimately he might be more suited to a vertical passing system but as a 3rd round pick with Goff and Wentz off the board his upside might be hard to pass on.
Quickly let me add that Goff is my favorite QB in this draft hands down but I use this mock to distance my emotional attachment to the player as I think he will get taken off the board before we pick, With reference to Vernon Adams he is underrated largely because of his size me thinks and is perhaps a more natural fit in Kelly's system than Jones(if Vernon had Jones' size we might see himpredicted in a much higher round). Here is good overview on his game:http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2016/03/23/the-law-of-the-pack-with-vernon-adams-jr/.
Originally posted by hightop:
NYniner85-I have some some questions as to C. Jones fit in Kelly's system as well.Although the accuracy issue is more complex than the simple write off some ascribe,paraphrasing Matt Waldman's detailed examination of his game" His accuracy from the set position is star caliber on the long ball(50yd range) but needs work in the reset- out of the platform- in mid range(30yd), his opposite hash accuracy is very good,his pumps fakes are lethal (as are Vernon's) and release and delivery are good.He scrambles well and is a load when he takes off to run but suffers from poor decision making", an aspect of his game which could simply come from low mileage at the helm. Ultimately he might be more suited to a vertical passing system but as a 3rd round pick with Goff and Wentz off the board his upside might be hard to pass on.

He is simply to green for me...here is another opinion if Jones http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1983783/cardale-jones

STRENGTHS: There is no questioning Jones' physical tools with his well-built frame, top-shelf arm strength and the mobility to move the pocket or pick up chunk yardage with his legs when needed. Jones has the same cannon and confidence throwing downfield. Levelheaded and calm on the field, playing with the same demeanor no matter how bright the lights. Improved footwork in the pocket to shuffle, slide and climb with his eyes downfield, staring down the gun barrel.

Jones' skill set is ideally suited for a vertical offensive attack, utilizing play action and running the ball between the tackles, which then opens up options on the outside.

WEAKNESSES: Fails to read defenses and locks onto targets. Where he has really struggled is a lack of anticipation and timing. Studying his film, Jones waits for targets to get open before throwing the ball as hard as he can so it arrives before the defender. Questionable decision-making and needs to quicken his eyes and expand his vision. Shows cabin fever, often tucking and running when initial read is taken away. Wasn't asked to identify defensive coverages in college.

He needs refinement with his footwork, internal clock and overall accuracy to all levels of the field. Maturity has been another trouble issue with Jones and his class clown routine won't be tolerated by many NFL head coaches.

COMPARES TO: JaMarcus Russell, ex-Raiders -- Jones is physically impressive with the size, build and arm strength that instantly draws comparisons to Russell, including the mobility to pick up yards with his legs when needed. He can make every throw and showcases precision when he squares his shoulders and follows through with his delivery, but his game lacks sophistication and he's simply extremely raw.

IN OUR VIEW: Jones has a live arm to generate easy velocity anywhere he wants on the field, but his hose lacks consistent direction with hot-cold accuracy downfield - more of a thrower than passer at this point in his development. He doesn't play with anticipation and is still very raw reading coverages, needing extensive work under the hood before he's ready for NFL snaps. Jones is a developmental option whose final draft grade will be determined by his pre-draft process.

-You need to look who's currently on the roster at QB....most likely Kap is gone (and he's only on a yr to yr deal anyway), Blaine is a FA after this season, and same with Lewis/Thompson. Jones needs time and a lot of it before he can become a starter in the NFL IMO, if he could sit behind a Palmer or Big Ben for a couple seasons you might have something especially with those offensive schemes....we don't have the scheme or time to develop a QB like that (especially dropping a 3rd for him).
Originally posted by hightop:
Quickly let me add that Goff is my favorite QB in this draft hands down but I use this mock to distance my emotional attachment to the player as I think he will get taken off the board before we pick, With reference to Vernon Adams he is underrated largely because of his size me thinks and is perhaps a more natural fit in Kelly's system than Jones(if Vernon had Jones' size we might see himpredicted in a much higher round). Here is good overview on his game:http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2016/03/23/the-law-of-the-pack-with-vernon-adams-jr/.

I think he could be brought in as a UDFA and could be a backup in the league. The issue is you can't teach size. Vernon is who he is and he has to run around to find passing lanes because he can't see over OL. He will have to scrabble a lot (think Wilson) the issue there is can he take a hit? (was injured in OU for his only season in D1) and he's hands are much smaller than someone like Wilson (fumble city).

I wouldn't hate spending a 6th (not a 5th) or bringing him in as a UDFA at all, seems like a good kid that loves football.
Share 49ersWebzone