LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Joshua Garnett OG Stanford

love for him to be a 49er #beast
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Butter:
How do Garnett, Whitehair, Connor McGovern compare? Strengths/weaknesses?

Garnett is the biggest, the most powerful run blocker with great length, I think Whitehair has the best movement ability but lacking in length and McGovern is kind of a jack of all trades but needs the most improvement to his technique. Just IMO.

That sounds about right. McGovern has a slight edge in almost every combine category, but that is obviously not the only factor. I like the idea of McGovern as a value pick in the 3rd or 4th, but if Garnett or White hair are there in the second, I don't be mad if they pull the trigger.
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Originally posted by Heroism:
I think he would be a great fit in Kelly's heavy inside zone scheme.

He is the exact sort of guard that Kelly was lacking last year. Athletic enough but a mauler on inside zone run plays.

My only real concern with him is that like with Iupati, Garnett is a dominant run blocker and a so-so pass blocker.

Yeah I don't know much about him but I was wondering if hes athletic enough for Kellys offense..ive seen mocks where he goes in the 2nd..

I assumed that he wasn't athletic enough to play in a ZBS? Hes a beast of a run blocking OG but even in college struggled in pass protection and movement, the pros will be much more difficult...
Kelly's run game predominantly revolves around Inside zone, which has more a drive blocking element to it. More downhill. Garnett will thrive in that sense, and when he has to move for stretch runs, he's athletic enough to do so.
That sounds about right. McGovern has a slight edge in almost every combine category, but that is obviously not the only factor. I like the idea of McGovern as a value pick in the 3rd or 4th, but if Garnett or White hair are there in the second, I don't be mad if they pull the trigger.

Don't forget about Westerman who I think would be a great scheme fit and comes with a nasty disposition to boot.
I think Whitehair is more scheme diverse. He's a beast. Because he fits every scheme, I think he's he first OG off the board. I think he also could play LT in a pinch.

Garnett is going to be a monster in a ZBS. He starts at LG from day one.

McGovern should be good in a ZBS. I've seen his comp is Zane Beadles. He'd be a nice mid -round pick.

The team has shown interest in Rees Idhiamdo, Boise St. I like his upside better than McGovern's. I think he'd be a 3rd round OG if it wasn't for the injuries.

I really hope we grab one of these guys.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Kelly's run game predominantly revolves around Inside zone, which has more a drive blocking element to it. More downhill. Garnett will thrive in that sense, and when he has to move for stretch runs, he's athletic enough to do so.

Very much agree. Kelly's ZBS is way more inside zone than stretch zone. Guards that can drive block and are also athletic enough to peel off and get to the 2nd level are important to the scheme.

Don't forget about Westerman who I think would be a great scheme fit and comes with a nasty disposition to boot.

What surprised me about Westerman is how strong he is. For a lighter guy, he put up a LOT of reps on the bench press.
http://m.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Stanford-s-Garnett-eager-to-impress-49ers-7247097.php

This kid will be a Niner mark it down lol

Originally posted by NorthBay49er:

Lol I mean it's gonna happen
Share 49ersWebzone