LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

The Not So Baalke-like Mock (No trades)

#7- CB Vernon Hargreaves (Florida)- Yeah, I know. Baalke doesn't take CB's high and he likes guys with size and the same with Kelly. BUT, this guy is the best cover corner in the draft and starts Day 1 opposite DJ in my opinion. Buckner, Jack, and Bosa are all off the board so Baalke goes with BPA. Yes, Goff is still on the board and we try and trade the pick. Most if not all 49er fans go nuts!

#37- DE/NT Vernon Butler (LA Tech)- A coincidence on the names but two starters with our first two picks. Versatile DL who shined at the Senior Bowl and could start at either RDE or NT while Williams is out.

#68- OG Joshua Garnett (Stanford)- He can go as high as the 2nd but could potentially land in the 3rd. Outland Trophy winner and another starter, probably at RG with Beadles at LG. Tiller becomes our swing guard with Martin and Thomas competing for the other backup spots. Silbermann lands on the PS squad as I believe he still has eligibility. Waive bye bye to Devey finally!

#105- OLB Kyler Fackrell (Utah State)- Versatile LB who can rush the passer, drop in coverage, and potentially play some ILB as well. Slides into the rotation at OLB and hopefully provides some extra pass rush off the edge.

#133- WR Charone Peake (Clemson)- Not a lot of PT in college but size, speed, weight combination projects well to the NFL. Could start in 3 wide sets and gives us another weapon on offense

#142- RB Tyler Ervin (San Jose State)- Offers a lot of value to our offense, more so than most offenses. He's a threat out of the backfield in the passing game, and is a game breaker in the running game. We've been watching him closely and I see him being one of Chip's targets come draft day, a younger Darren Sproles.

#145- ILB Blake Martinez (Stanford)- We need someone to push Wilhoite potentially off the roster and challenge Hodges for the starting role opposite Bowman. Productive college linebacker with great intangibles but lacks ideal athleticism and quickness which is why he drops to the 5th.

#174- OT Willie Beavers (Western Michigan)- Competes at RT and swing OT

#178- QB Brandon Allen (Arkansas)- Competes for 3rd QB

#207- TE/WR Thomas Duarte (UCLA)- Competes as a swing TE/WR, will play mostly out of the slot. Gives Chip another offensive weapon to work with and could stick on the roster

#211- LB Dadi Nicolas (VA Tech)- Competes on special teams and as a nickel or dime pass rusher. Could develop into a versatile LB that cracks the roster or PS at the very least.

#213- OG/OT Joe Dahl (WSU)- Baalke loves later round OL and Dahl has started at both T and G. Would bring even more competition to the OL.
[ Edited by Ninerfan84 on Apr 2, 2016 at 10:12 AM ]
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Not a big fan of get a CB in the 1st round but you are right VH might very well end up being the BPA when the Niners pick at #7. Solid mock
pass on CB high...I just can't see drafting a CB unless he's a true lock down guy that can take away half of the field. I don't see that in VH3

the rest of the mock is on the money though so if it did go down this way I could live with it.... rather go QB at 7 we have no long-term answer at QB (seriously we don't have anyone signed past this year I don't really count Kap's year to year deal.)

I can see Garnett a Niner Chip was all over him at his pro-day guessing he's a 2nd round pick though. Butler is my draft crush so love that. Not huge on Peake, I'd rather go Carroo who's more proven and we are working out.
Yeah, it's less than ideal but I went with a no trade mock. This would be worst case scenario for us at #7, if we decide not to go with Goff. If Jack, Bosa, and Buckner are off the board I would prefer to trade down a few spots and take our "Plan B" options such as Stanley, Hargreaves, or Dodd. I see #7 getting a lot of trade attention if Goff and Elliot are still on the board.
Good mock and agree that Baalke doesn't take CB high in draft.

Other than #1, I really like it - especially the Butler pick.
Depth Chart

Offense

QB: Kap, Gabbert, Allen PS (2)
RB: Hyde, Draughn, Harris, Ervin (4)
X: Smith, White
Z: Smelter, Patton
Slot: Patton, Peake, Ellington (6)
TE: Celek, McDonald, Bell, Duarte/Anderson (4)
LT: Staley, Brown/Beavers
LG: Beadles, Tiller, Thomas
C: Kilgore, Martin
RG: Garnett, Tiller, Dahl PS
RT: Davis (if he returns), Brown (10)

RDE: Butler/Dial
NT: Williams, Butler, Purcell
LDE: Armstead, Dorsey (6)
ROLB: Lynch, Harold
ILB: Bowman, Wilhoite
ILB: Hodges, Martinez
LOLB: Brooks, Fackrell (8)
CB: Hargreaves, Brock
CB: DJ, Acker
Slot: Ward, Reaser (6)
FS: Reid, Ward
SS: Bethea, Tartt, McCray (4)

P: Pinion
K: Dawson
LS: Nelson (3)
[ Edited by Ninerfan84 on Apr 2, 2016 at 10:54 AM ]
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good mock and agree that Baalke doesn't take CB high in draft.

Other than #1, I really like it - especially the Butler pick.

Thanks, yeah just doing something different other than the usual Goff or Buckner mock. If Buckner drops to us I think he's the pick.
It's a very solid mock...but for me, Baalke should go after Buckner. I like Butler, too, but Buckner bookending Armstead with Dial/Williams in the middle could become an outstanding front 3. I like the way you added LB's after upgrading the DL, something I've been advocating for all along.

An alternative to Peake could be Geronimo Allison (Illinois)...he has more experience and shined at both the Shrine and Senior Bowl against top competition.

Not sure Brandon Allen falls that far...it'd be great if he did, but he could well be gone by the 4th rd.

Both Beavers and Dahl project higher in the draft...I use Walter Football and NFL Draft Profiles a lot, and both sites project these guys to go earlier. It's possible Beavers falls to the 5th rd, but I don't see any way Dahl lasts 'til the 6th.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
It's a very solid mock...but for me, Baalke should go after Buckner. I like Butler, too, but Buckner bookending Armstead with Dial/Williams in the middle could become an outstanding front 3. I like the way you added LB's after upgrading the DL, something I've been advocating for all along.

An alternative to Peake could be Geronimo Allison (Illinois)...he has more experience and shined at both the Shrine and Senior Bowl against top competition.

Not sure Brandon Allen falls that far...it'd be great if he did, but he could well be gone by the 4th rd.

Both Beavers and Dahl project higher in the draft...I use Walter Football and NFL Draft Profiles a lot, and both sites project these guys to go earlier. It's possible Beavers falls to the 5th rd, but I don't see any way Dahl lasts 'til the 6th.

I think Buckner is the top target as well, but Dallas would need to surprise and take Elliot or a QB with Bosa dropping to Baltimore. That or Baltimore takes Stanley instead of Buckner, if not we would need to trade up to 5.

Noted on Beavers and Dahl, but they were both projected in those areas but DraftScout and NFL.com. Thanks for the feedback..
I love this draft. Vh3, butler, peake, Ervin, beavers, Dahl have all been in some of my mocks. I'm not a huge fan of the Garnett or Fackrell picks but overall great job

Beavers is such a project that its almost inevitable that he ends up overdrafted. People rave about his movement and athleticism, usually followed up by "well yeah he needs to work on his technique", "well yeah he needs to be more consistent", "well yeah he is very raw, needs to add strength but he could be good someday."

Anytime I hear the phrase "raw tools" when describing an OL, something which was often said about Marcus Martin in particular, I get worried.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Beavers is such a project that its almost inevitable that he ends up overdrafted. People rave about his movement and athleticism, usually followed up by "well yeah he needs to work on his technique", "well yeah he needs to be more consistent", "well yeah he is very raw, needs to add strength but he could be good someday."

Anytime I hear the phrase "raw tools" when describing an OL, something which was often said about Marcus Martin in particular, I get worried.

Matinitis
Not a fan of picking a QB outside of the 2nd, in particularly this season and definitely not Brandon Adams. Blake Martinez will not push Wilhoite at all (and I'm no fan of Wilhoite).
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Not a fan of picking a QB outside of the 2nd, in particularly this season and definitely not Brandon Adams. Blake Martinez will not push Wilhoite at all (and I'm no fan of Wilhoite).

Drafting a QB to compete for 3rd string QB is pretty useless. If you're going to take a QB, take one early, a legit franchise QB prospect.
Not a fan of CB at 7. I would be surprised if Garnett is still there in the 3rd
Share 49ersWebzone