LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 132 users in the forums

9ersLiferInChicago Mock - 1.0

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
This.
Looking forward to 2.0
Well, I can tell you that Brothers will probably be on a possible 2.0. And who do you think would be a better fit than Okwara, and why?

If we wait until the mid to late rounds to get a pass rusher, I like Ngakoue (Maryland) and McCalister (Florida). Both guys that can create havoc on the outside. Ngakoue has very good motor but McCalister is my favorite pass rusher outside of Spence, Ogbah and Floyd. He has ridiculously long arms, great bend getting around the edge and violent enough hands at the point of attack. Slim frame (6-6/240) but can easily add 10-15 pounds. I think he is the perfect situational pass rusher and can be had in the later rounds.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
it's about time my boy Xavien Howard gets mocked to the 49ers. Dude is a stud, tho I believe he week most likely be a high 2nd round pick.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Ummm, and Wilhoite is? Have you seen him in coverage? Besides, Mizzou's D scheme didn't ask him to drop back in coverage much. So to declare that he can't do something that he hasn't been asked to do much is ridiculous. Plus, most NFL rookie LB's don't cover NFL complicated passing schemes that well. To expect such is just unreasonable. Bottom line, Brothers has very similar to Bowman in that he diagnosis plays very well, and seldom is he caught out of position. So I have no doubt that with reps Brothers will win that ILB spot besides Bowman very easily.

Wilhoite isn't costing you a 2nd rounder. Brothers is the definition of a 2 down ILB. Shorter guy with really short arms, limited athletic ability, he's a less-sure tackler version of Borland.

With questions about whether or not Bowman will ever get back to his old form, the 49ers don't need another thumper next to Bowman, they need a guy who can fly around the field and make plays, a guy who can drop back into coverage and more than hold his own with RB's and TE's.

In short they need a guy who complements Bowman rather than replicates him at a lesser level. Brothers isn't that guy IMO.

• Lacks elite speed and takes false steps in coverage. May be limited to two-down role in NFL
• Struggles against the pass were evident in his missed tackles too, missing a tackle once every 6.2 attempted in coverage, compared with once every 12.1 against the run in 2015. His tackling efficiency in coverage ranked 34th amongst the 65 linebackers in this draft class who played at least 120 snaps last season
• Despite the above, still wasn't great as a tackler against the run, with his efficiency in that aspect ranking 30th out of 65. The same was true of his tackling in 2014

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/03/31/draft-pff-scouting-report-kentrell-brothers-lb-missouri/
Wow Phoenix, I'm actually a little surprised that you're relying on profootballfocus as your source. After all, it aint liker they've never been wrong about a player. I can tell you this: Brothers will be a star in this league. With that scouting report one wonders how he even played college football, much less get a high 2nd round grade.

I must admit, I've watched all of Mizzou's games. I am a big fan of Mizzou. And I have to say that the scouting report that you post has to be of a 3rd stringer, certainly not of Brothers. I saw the total opposite of what you saw (well, what you posted). His tackling was sure and stellar! Play diagnosing among the best in college football. He don't have much to show in the passing game, but in the scheme the Mizzou coaches employed it just didn't ask him to cover much. Beside, MOST LB's coming out have issues covering NFL complicated passing schemes, and that's to be expected given the college game. Rest assured that Miles Jack is gonna go through a learning curve nailing down NFL coverage's. But to speak of a top 3 college ILB as if he's high school bench rider is simply unreasonable.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Apr 1, 2016 at 6:04 AM ]
Originally posted by HERN:
it's about time my boy Xavien Howard gets mocked to the 49ers. Dude is a stud, tho I believe he week most likely be a high 2nd round pick.

Yeah, he'll start on any team. . . .
This.
Looking forward to 2.0
Well, I can tell you that Brothers will probably be on a possible 2.0. And who do you think would be a better fit than Okwara, and why?

If we wait until the mid to late rounds to get a pass rusher, I like Ngakoue (Maryland) and McCalister (Florida). Both guys that can create havoc on the outside. Ngakoue has very good motor but McCalister is my favorite pass rusher outside of Spence, Ogbah and Floyd. He has ridiculously long arms, great bend getting around the edge and violent enough hands at the point of attack. Slim frame (6-6/240) but can easily add 10-15 pounds. I think he is the perfect situational pass rusher and can be had in the later rounds.
Ok . . . . Yannick Ngakoue, 6-2, 252, likely 5th rounder. Will need to put on at least 10lbs. One trick guy who routinely gets driven and pushed out the play. Often blocked by TE's FB's, and big RB's. Forget setting the edge with him on the field. Audible and run at him and he's neutralized in the run game. In the pass game just chip him, put a OT on him that out-weighs him by a 80lbs, or a big back and he's neutralized. We already have a guy like that on the roster. See Eli Harold.

Alex McCalister, 6-6, 239 DE, and injured at that (dear lord). Needs to put on way too much weight to be close to effective in a 3-4 scheme. Never even registered on my radar for good reason, will never see a 3-4 OLB, likely undrafted, and IF he's picked up by a team he'll likely be a career special teams guy.

Try harder bro. Direct me to your mock so I can help you out.
April 1st. I forgot children sometimes demand a seat at the table this time of year.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Apr 1, 2016 at 6:09 AM ]
April 1st. I forgot, children demand to sit at the head of the table this time of year
This.

I don't think Brothers brings much more to the table than Hodges, especially in coverage where we need the upgrade. Grabbing a future franchise QB helps but getting him an Oline to play behind is just as important. Ridgeway is solid but there are immediate starters available in the 2nd that you passed on and I'm not sure our pass rush gets better with this. OLB certainly isn't a strength in this draft but there are a few better options of guys that can get to the QB better than Okwara. Wilson is also a very slow WR. Nice size but would prefer a Charone Peake in those mid to late rounds.

Looking forward to 2.0

I would have to agree with this
I must admit that this off season has been one of, if not the, most difficult for me in many years to digest. Our FO is a real piece of work. I have never before been more disgusted with our FO, NEVER. To me, there are fewer better examples of self sabotage to compare this to. And when one really look into the reasons for it you become even more disgusted. This was a wet dream even a 40 year old virgin man could not screw up, yet our FO found away to. And to compound this our GM, who hasn't had a productive draft in a while now, didn't even try to bring in an impact player (for a team starving for impact players) due mainly to bare naked cheapness, IMHO. No one said spend all the cap space on one player. But Zane Beadles, Thad Lewis, and re-signing Williams - REALLY? That's it?! This would make sense if Baalke's draft picks over the last couple of seasons were ripping the NFL up.

With that off my chest, it is what it is. I still was able to put together a really good mock, as usual I think this draft needs to be heavy on the defense, given Chip's propensity to work a defense. This is an area that I think Chip is just gonna have to tweak his offence. This is not college where he had a near unlimited supply of talent with no roster limit. Chip is gonna have to accept that he has a 53 man roster of grown men, and he just can't pressure the defense like he does and expect long-term success. As normal, I don't predict trade. In fact, this year I'm not at all in favor of trading for picks, especially moving back. We've moved back enough in far too many drafts and the roster sorely reflects it. We have enough picks. I'm actually glad that Kaep will be on the roster this season. He can bridge the new QB and if he plays well, which will increase his trade value. Finally, no more injury Baalke specials and projects. This team has no more time to be waiting on "value" to pan out or spend a whole season healing. We need impact players who can come in and contribute now, not later.

QB - Jared Goff, Cal. 6-4, 210
(QB Carson Wentz, ILB Miles Jack, ILB ReOLB, Joey Bosa, DE DeForest Buckner)
This pick needs no explanation. I've been going back and forth on this though - Goff or Wentz. In the end I think Goff will be the better pick. If he and Wentz are gone I think we should go Miles Jack or Ragland. I know that Goff don't really have a history of injury's, but at this level he cannot play QB at 215 and expect to remain healthy. He's gonna have to put on at least 10-15, preferably 20lbs of muscle. Now, I think it will really be smart to sit Goff for a season and let Kaep bridge him in. (Get use to it folks, Kaep is here for this season.) And sitting out that year will allow him to get his body right for NFL usage.

ILB - Kentrell Brothers, Missouri. 6-1, 249lbs
(QB, Paxton Lynch, DE Kevin Dodd, CB, William Jackson III)
Unlike most I think ILB is a real need for this defense. Ragland and Jack ar long gone by now. But Brothers was a real impact ILB for Mizzou, and will be in the NFL. The better 3-4 schemes have two studs in the middle, not one stud and some serviceable guy. I do want us to trade back up in the first and get Reggie Ragland. But Brothers would be a very good compliment along side Bowman, as his skill-set is very similar to his. Highly instinctive. Great in the open field. Aggressive, physical tackler. Diagnoses the run very well. But like most coming out he'll need to get better in coverage, but he is better than most ILB in coverage coming out. He's gonna have to learn to trust the scheme and not rely so much on his athleticism.

CB - Xavien Howard, Baylor. 6-1, 200lbs, 4-44 at proday (CB, Maurice Canady; ILB, Scooby Wright)
I know that we have a lot of bodies at this position. What bothers me is that none of that talent is a real, true number one guy. It seems that all we have is just a collection of decent bodies, but not a true hands down starter. T. Brock isn't too durable and cannot be counted on for a complete season. D. Johnson, who I think it's criminal that he's not getting more playing time with the first team, should be starting. Xavien Howard is one disruptive kid and would come in and be a day one starter. Very willing and physical tackler. Was put on an island most of his time at Baylor, always put up against teams' best WR., so he has all kinds of shutdown ability.

NG/DT - Hassan Ridgeway, 6-3, 303lbs, Texas
Definite Ian Williams insurance here. Ridgeway is very much in the mold of Williams. Strong, violant hands, holds his ground, will honor both A-gaps in the run game, and provide better than reasonable pocket pressure and disruption. Ridgeway will command a double team, in particular on run downs, which will protect our LB's and allow them to run free.

OLB - Romeo Okwara, Notra Dame 6-5, 265lbs (DE convert).
I have to say I'm not really thrilled at the OLB coming out. Most of the top guys coming out are just too light for a 3-4 OLB. See Eli Harold. Would rather get a really good tweener DE and stand him up. Okwara is an ideal target for OLB conversion. Okwara is a high motor guy; plays all out on every play. Extremely athletic, of the Aron Lynch mold. Uses his hands very well to deal with blockers. Not a one-trick pony; has many tools to get to the QB. Will have to play with more discipline and learn to shed blockers better. But with Brooks and Lynch in front of him he'll have time to learn.

WR - De'Runnya Wilson, Miss. State, 6-5, 224.
Not gonna burn anybody, but then we already have a few burners on the roster. This guy will be a match-up nightmare for CB's. Big and physical at the LOS. Very reliable catcher. GREAT LEAPER, witch is important at the goal line and perfect for not-so-accurate passers like Kaep. Has some character issues that dropped him. But like I said, we need impact players.

CB - Daryl Worley, W. Virginia, 6-2, 204.
A real steal here, and will definitely push a CB off the roster. In the NFL size matters. Extremely productive. Worley is a big disruptive CB at the LOS that will re-roubt WR's forcing the QB to hold the ball a split second longer. Very good ball skills and fluidity for a CB his size. Very often can be found sniffing around the LOS for run support; one of the better run support CB's coming out.
http://www.patriots.com/video/2016/02/11/2016-draft-prospects-daryl-worley-cb-west-virginia

OG - Pearce Slater, San Diego State, 6-7, 329 (OT convert).
A JUCO transfer. Large, powerful kid! Ideal swing tackle candidate. At OT he has a very good drop-step, and he's very hard for speed rushers to get around him. At OG he's a real mean mauler when run blocking. A real leader across the O-line (team captain) and very high character. This guy is a year two starter, day one starter on many teams. Need to fix his hand placement tech.

DE/DT - Anthony Zettel, 6-4, 277lbs. Penn State.
Projects nicely as a 3-4 DE. Very high motor. Consistently pressures the pocket Great snap anticipation. Can play every technique inside the 6 Tech. Can get out of control at times. Will come right in and compete for a starting spot at the DE spot, especially given that Tank is being looked at to switch to OLB.

OG/OT - Avery Young, Auburn, 6-5, 328.
Really like this kid. A Juco transfer to Auburn. Very athletic, light on his feet, which is good for our O-line scheme. Can play OG and OT, on both sides too, but likely OG mainly in the NFL. Will have to develop better point of attack techniques. But excellent, violent pulling OG.

RB - Devon Johnson, 6-0, 238, Marshall.
Gotta get a look at this kids highlights. The thought that there are backs better than his is scary. This guy is everything we need in a RB. Extremely physical. WILL NOT be brought down by one guy or at first contact. North/south one cut runner that hits the hole really fast. Runs with serious anger and abusive power, and surprisingly fast for a guy his size. Can catch out the backfield (he's a former TE). Not a liability in the passing game. In fact, this kid would come in and be one of the better blocking backs on our roster. Great attitude and high character - will play multiple positions if need be, offense and defense (played LB too). The only issue with this kid is that he's battled injuries throughout his football career, but he's battled them quite well. The good thing is that if we draft him he won't be the featured back, so he won't get the ware-&-tear. Will have to learn to run at pad-level as he runs a little too high.

OLB - Ian Seau, 6-2, 259lbs, Nevada
Worth a look here. The nephew of one Junior Seau. Kind of reminds me of Dan Skuta. Good speed off the edge, but will need to develop more moves to get around NFL OT's. Really gets around the edge fast. Is a real thumper: get to the QB with a little anger. The only one of this draft list that will take some "coaching up", but great ST option though.

All those picks are impact players that won't take a bunch of project and "coach'm up" time from the coaches, save for Ian Seau. And for a new coaching regime it important to hit the ground running, and if they can devote a bit more time on scheming our chances of turning this thing around sooner looks better. I know player development is important, but the right scheme/development balance must be found. If you have too many players that are projects that sucks a lot of time for scheming

Projected starters based on my mock:
Offence:

QB - Keap (Get use to it folks, he won't be traded and Gabbert isn't beating him out.)
LT - Staley
LG - Beadles
C - Kilgore
RG - Tiller
RT - A. Davis/T. Brown
TE - Celek
WR - Boldin
WR - Smith
RB - Hyde
FB - Miller

Defense:

DE - Zettel/Dial (if Tank is transistioned to OLB)
NG - Williams/Ridgeway/Dorsey
DE - Armstead (no way he don't start)
OLB - Brooks
OLB - Lynch
ILB - Bowman
ILB - Brothers
CB - Howard
CB - Johnson/Brock
FS - Reid
SS - Tartt

Don't know about you guys but that looks like a very good starting line up that should win, pending scheme. Thoughts?

Thanks for the write up

You have some solid players and a couple headscratchers to me.

Love the Goff pick I hope he's there and is the pick.

Howard is one of my top CBs in the draft love the size and speed he has Chip/Baalke written all over him, I just don't see him dropping to the 3rd though.

I'm with everyone else Brothers is a 2-down thumper, we need coverage ability at LB wouldn't be my pick but it's your mock.

IMO I'd go after OL in between the 3rd-4th rounds, seems like there are some solid prospects there. Also I'd want to get that COP back in the 4th-5th rounds as well.

Okwara has the length and size Baalke likes so I understand the pick, He seems a bit stiff to me and had poor times in his 3-cone and 20 yard shuttle not sure he can be a effective 3-4 OLB for us.

Daryl Worley-is he a CB or a FS? Like the pick at that point though.

De'Runnya Wilson-He's off my board dude is wayyyy too slow for this league IMO
Originally posted by NYniner85:
This.

I don't think Brothers brings much more to the table than Hodges, especially in coverage where we need the upgrade. Grabbing a future franchise QB helps but getting him an Oline to play behind is just as important. Ridgeway is solid but there are immediate starters available in the 2nd that you passed on and I'm not sure our pass rush gets better with this. OLB certainly isn't a strength in this draft but there are a few better options of guys that can get to the QB better than Okwara. Wilson is also a very slow WR. Nice size but would prefer a Charone Peake in those mid to late rounds.

Looking forward to 2.0

I would have much to say about but the April fool kids are having their seat at the table.

This.

Looking forward to 2.0

I would have much to say about but the April fool kids are having their seat at the table.

not sure what that means
I am a big fan of Mizzou.

Totally makes sense now.
I must admit that this off season has been one of, if not the, most difficult for me in many years to digest. Our FO is a real piece of work. I have never before been more disgusted with our FO, NEVER. To me, there are fewer better examples of self sabotage to compare this to. And when one really look into the reasons for it you become even more disgusted. This was a wet dream even a 40 year old virgin man could not screw up, yet our FO found away to. And to compound this our GM, who hasn't had a productive draft in a while now, didn't even try to bring in an impact player (for a team starving for impact players) due mainly to bare naked cheapness, IMHO. No one said spend all the cap space on one player. But Zane Beadles, Thad Lewis, and re-signing Williams - REALLY? That's it?! This would make sense if Baalke's draft picks over the last couple of seasons were ripping the NFL up.

With that off my chest, it is what it is. I still was able to put together a really good mock, as usual I think this draft needs to be heavy on the defense, given Chip's propensity to work a defense. This is an area that I think Chip is just gonna have to tweak his offence. This is not college where he had a near unlimited supply of talent with no roster limit. Chip is gonna have to accept that he has a 53 man roster of grown men, and he just can't pressure the defense like he does and expect long-term success. As normal, I don't predict trade. In fact, this year I'm not at all in favor of trading for picks, especially moving back. We've moved back enough in far too many drafts and the roster sorely reflects it. We have enough picks. I'm actually glad that Kaep will be on the roster this season. He can bridge the new QB and if he plays well, which will increase his trade value. Finally, no more injury Baalke specials and projects. This team has no more time to be waiting on "value" to pan out or spend a whole season healing. We need impact players who can come in and contribute now, not later.

QB - Jared Goff, Cal. 6-4, 210
(QB Carson Wentz, ILB Miles Jack, ILB ReOLB, Joey Bosa, DE DeForest Buckner)
This pick needs no explanation. I've been going back and forth on this though - Goff or Wentz. In the end I think Goff will be the better pick. If he and Wentz are gone I think we should go Miles Jack or Ragland. I know that Goff don't really have a history of injury's, but at this level he cannot play QB at 215 and expect to remain healthy. He's gonna have to put on at least 10-15, preferably 20lbs of muscle. Now, I think it will really be smart to sit Goff for a season and let Kaep bridge him in. (Get use to it folks, Kaep is here for this season.) And sitting out that year will allow him to get his body right for NFL usage.

ILB - Kentrell Brothers, Missouri. 6-1, 249lbs
(QB, Paxton Lynch, DE Kevin Dodd, CB, William Jackson III)
Unlike most I think ILB is a real need for this defense. Ragland and Jack ar long gone by now. But Brothers was a real impact ILB for Mizzou, and will be in the NFL. The better 3-4 schemes have two studs in the middle, not one stud and some serviceable guy. I do want us to trade back up in the first and get Reggie Ragland. But Brothers would be a very good compliment along side Bowman, as his skill-set is very similar to his. Highly instinctive. Great in the open field. Aggressive, physical tackler. Diagnoses the run very well. But like most coming out he'll need to get better in coverage, but he is better than most ILB in coverage coming out. He's gonna have to learn to trust the scheme and not rely so much on his athleticism.

CB - Xavien Howard, Baylor. 6-1, 200lbs, 4-44 at proday (CB, Maurice Canady; ILB, Scooby Wright)
I know that we have a lot of bodies at this position. What bothers me is that none of that talent is a real, true number one guy. It seems that all we have is just a collection of decent bodies, but not a true hands down starter. T. Brock isn't too durable and cannot be counted on for a complete season. D. Johnson, who I think it's criminal that he's not getting more playing time with the first team, should be starting. Xavien Howard is one disruptive kid and would come in and be a day one starter. Very willing and physical tackler. Was put on an island most of his time at Baylor, always put up against teams' best WR., so he has all kinds of shutdown ability.

NG/DT - Hassan Ridgeway, 6-3, 303lbs, Texas
Definite Ian Williams insurance here. Ridgeway is very much in the mold of Williams. Strong, violant hands, holds his ground, will honor both A-gaps in the run game, and provide better than reasonable pocket pressure and disruption. Ridgeway will command a double team, in particular on run downs, which will protect our LB's and allow them to run free.

OLB - Romeo Okwara, Notra Dame 6-5, 265lbs (DE convert).
I have to say I'm not really thrilled at the OLB coming out. Most of the top guys coming out are just too light for a 3-4 OLB. See Eli Harold. Would rather get a really good tweener DE and stand him up. Okwara is an ideal target for OLB conversion. Okwara is a high motor guy; plays all out on every play. Extremely athletic, of the Aron Lynch mold. Uses his hands very well to deal with blockers. Not a one-trick pony; has many tools to get to the QB. Will have to play with more discipline and learn to shed blockers better. But with Brooks and Lynch in front of him he'll have time to learn.

WR - De'Runnya Wilson, Miss. State, 6-5, 224.
Not gonna burn anybody, but then we already have a few burners on the roster. This guy will be a match-up nightmare for CB's. Big and physical at the LOS. Very reliable catcher. GREAT LEAPER, witch is important at the goal line and perfect for not-so-accurate passers like Kaep. Has some character issues that dropped him. But like I said, we need impact players.

CB - Daryl Worley, W. Virginia, 6-2, 204.
A real steal here, and will definitely push a CB off the roster. In the NFL size matters. Extremely productive. Worley is a big disruptive CB at the LOS that will re-roubt WR's forcing the QB to hold the ball a split second longer. Very good ball skills and fluidity for a CB his size. Very often can be found sniffing around the LOS for run support; one of the better run support CB's coming out.
http://www.patriots.com/video/2016/02/11/2016-draft-prospects-daryl-worley-cb-west-virginia

OG - Pearce Slater, San Diego State, 6-7, 329 (OT convert).
A JUCO transfer. Large, powerful kid! Ideal swing tackle candidate. At OT he has a very good drop-step, and he's very hard for speed rushers to get around him. At OG he's a real mean mauler when run blocking. A real leader across the O-line (team captain) and very high character. This guy is a year two starter, day one starter on many teams. Need to fix his hand placement tech.

DE/DT - Anthony Zettel, 6-4, 277lbs. Penn State.
Projects nicely as a 3-4 DE. Very high motor. Consistently pressures the pocket Great snap anticipation. Can play every technique inside the 6 Tech. Can get out of control at times. Will come right in and compete for a starting spot at the DE spot, especially given that Tank is being looked at to switch to OLB.

OG/OT - Avery Young, Auburn, 6-5, 328.
Really like this kid. A Juco transfer to Auburn. Very athletic, light on his feet, which is good for our O-line scheme. Can play OG and OT, on both sides too, but likely OG mainly in the NFL. Will have to develop better point of attack techniques. But excellent, violent pulling OG.

RB - Devon Johnson, 6-0, 238, Marshall.
Gotta get a look at this kids highlights. The thought that there are backs better than his is scary. This guy is everything we need in a RB. Extremely physical. WILL NOT be brought down by one guy or at first contact. North/south one cut runner that hits the hole really fast. Runs with serious anger and abusive power, and surprisingly fast for a guy his size. Can catch out the backfield (he's a former TE). Not a liability in the passing game. In fact, this kid would come in and be one of the better blocking backs on our roster. Great attitude and high character - will play multiple positions if need be, offense and defense (played LB too). The only issue with this kid is that he's battled injuries throughout his football career, but he's battled them quite well. The good thing is that if we draft him he won't be the featured back, so he won't get the ware-&-tear. Will have to learn to run at pad-level as he runs a little too high.

OLB - Ian Seau, 6-2, 259lbs, Nevada
Worth a look here. The nephew of one Junior Seau. Kind of reminds me of Dan Skuta. Good speed off the edge, but will need to develop more moves to get around NFL OT's. Really gets around the edge fast. Is a real thumper: get to the QB with a little anger. The only one of this draft list that will take some "coaching up", but great ST option though.

All those picks are impact players that won't take a bunch of project and "coach'm up" time from the coaches, save for Ian Seau. And for a new coaching regime it important to hit the ground running, and if they can devote a bit more time on scheming our chances of turning this thing around sooner looks better. I know player development is important, but the right scheme/development balance must be found. If you have too many players that are projects that sucks a lot of time for scheming

Projected starters based on my mock:
Offence:

QB - Keap (Get use to it folks, he won't be traded and Gabbert isn't beating him out.)
LT - Staley
LG - Beadles
C - Kilgore
RG - Tiller
RT - A. Davis/T. Brown
TE - Celek
WR - Boldin
WR - Smith
RB - Hyde
FB - Miller

Defense:

DE - Zettel/Dial (if Tank is transistioned to OLB)
NG - Williams/Ridgeway/Dorsey
DE - Armstead (no way he don't start)
OLB - Brooks
OLB - Lynch
ILB - Bowman
ILB - Brothers
CB - Howard
CB - Johnson/Brock
FS - Reid
SS - Tartt

Don't know about you guys but that looks like a very good starting line up that should win, pending scheme. Thoughts?

Thanks for the write up

You have some solid players and a couple headscratchers to me.

Love the Goff pick I hope he's there and is the pick.

Howard is one of my top CBs in the draft love the size and speed he has Chip/Baalke written all over him, I just don't see him dropping to the 3rd though.

I'm with everyone else Brothers is a 2-down thumper, we need coverage ability at LB wouldn't be my pick but it's your mock.

IMO I'd go after OL in between the 3rd-4th rounds, seems like there are some solid prospects there. Also I'd want to get that COP back in the 4th-5th rounds as well.

Okwara has the length and size Baalke likes so I understand the pick, He seems a bit stiff to me and had poor times in his 3-cone and 20 yard shuttle not sure he can be a effective 3-4 OLB for us.

Daryl Worley-is he a CB or a FS? Like the pick at that point though.

De'Runnya Wilson-He's off my board dude is wayyyy too slow for this league IMO
Yeah, draft boards have him going between late 2nd and early 3rd. Thats why I put other options in parenthesis. Unless there's a 2nd run on CB's Maurice Canady should be there.

About Brother: I watched all of Mizzou's games and I can tell you that Mizzou's D scheme didn't ask him to drop back in coverage much. So to declare that he can't do something that he hasn't been asked to do much is a little unfair. From what I saw of this kid he was rarely out of position and diagnosis very quickly, so I have no doubt he'd be able cover adequately when called upon. Besides, have you seen Wilhoite cover? Total liability! I think Brothers will be better than Wilhoite in the pass game and miles ahead of Hodges in everything else. IMHO

My position of out O-line is this: The projected starters don't look really. Staley, Beadles, Kilgore, Tiller, A. Davis/T. Brown is pretty solid. What I question is the backups and how the starters will be schemed. Devey, Silberman, and Pears simply don't belong on this roster, and I think there are many O-lineman up and down this draft who can easily replace them. Baalke should see to replace them.

And Worley is a CB.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I am a big fan of Mizzou.

Totally makes sense now.
That's not what I have us taking him. The same can be said of many here who like Miles Jack or Goff.
Yeah, draft boards have him going between late 2nd and early 3rd. Thats why I put other options in parenthesis. Unless there's a 2nd run on CB's Maurice Canady should be there.

About Brother: I watched all of Mizzou's games and I can tell you that Mizzou's D scheme didn't ask him to drop back in coverage much. So to declare that he can't do something that he hasn't been asked to do much is a little unfair. From what I saw of this kid he was rarely out of position and diagnosis very quickly, so I have no doubt he'd be able cover adequately when called upon. Besides, have you seen Wilhoite cover? Total liability! I think Brothers will be better than Wilhoite in the pass game and miles ahead of Hodges in everything else. IMHO

My position of out O-line is this: The projected starters don't look really. Staley, Beadles, Kilgore, Tiller, A. Davis/T. Brown is pretty solid. What I question is the backups and how the starters will be schemed. Devey, Silberman, and Pears simply don't belong on this roster, and I think there are many O-lineman up and down this draft who can easily replace them. Baalke should see to replace them.

And Worley is a CB.

Well I think we can say a lot of ILBs would be better than Wilhoite at this point I don't really see him as a 3-down guy, doesn't mean he can be but you can't go into the draft thinking his a 3 down LB. Wouldn't hate the pick not in the 2nd though. It's cool though he seems like your guy based on being a Mizzo fan so I won't hate lol.

The thing is it's seem like there are some real solid OL going in the 3rd and 4th and I think you have to take one there, same with RB.
Share 49ersWebzone