There are 174 users in the forums

Would love for this to happen

Originally posted by MrMrMEanerMister:
Originally posted by Draftology:
He doesn't want to be on this team. He'll just be dead weight. If we draft a QB in the first round, I would not want to have Kaep on this roster. Gabbert is the perfect guy to start the season as the starter and then pass the torch to the young guy. Also, if he plays in camp like he did last year, he may just get cut due to performance.

If we don't take a QB (which I hope we will), I can see us keeping Kaep, but otherwise he has to go.

at the qb position it doesnt matter what they know. lol its all supply and demand. we hold onto him and use him as a temp starter until goff is ready or a back up until someone gets desperate and gives in to the demand for their supply.

First of all, I don't think Kaep's value warrants an exceedingly high demand. Ryan Fitzpatrick is still on the market and the Broncos could also grab a Josh McCown for virtually nothing and he may perform better than Kaepernick. I'd even take Mike Glennon over Kaep. We have to remember that Kaep has never played amazingly great football. Even when he first broke out, he had many unbelievable plays, but was still very inconsistent. Those spurts of greatness led people to believe he could be great, but obviously that never happened. His value was always based on potential, not performance. He's 28 now. Potential is a young man's attribute.

Second of all, keeping a player of Kaep's stature on the team could be detrimental. I would not want this guy being the example for a young QB to develop behind. I think Gabbert gives us a better chance to win in the short term and doesn't come with the baggage Kaepernick does. I wouldn't want this guy dragging down the team emotionally like he did last year.

I'm fairly certain Kaep won't be on the team next year. I think he'll be traded for a 4th or 5th. But let's not kid ourselves to thinking that we're sitting on a goldmine here. Kaep is broken and we are not going to be the team that attempts to fix him for several reasons.
[ Edited by Draftology on Mar 31, 2016 at 12:48 PM ]
Given Kelly wants the opportunity to coach up Kap, I don't see Baalke agreeing to any trade until a) Kelly's successful or b) Kelly decides he'd rather go w/Gabbert. Here's the thing...if Kelly can get Kap consistently productive again, why not. I'm not sold that Goff's a franchise NFL QB...being one of the better QB's in this class isn't really saying all that much. Neither he nor Wentz come close to the kind of NFL-ready both Mariota and Winston were a year ago. If Kap stays, no reason to spend a #7 pick on either QB...they can draft one later and get Buckner, Jack or another impact player who can pay immediate dividends.
Originally posted by Draftology:
First of all, I don't think Kaep's value warrants an exceedingly high demand. Ryan Fitzpatrick is still on the market and the Broncos could also grab a Josh McCown for virtually nothing and he may perform better than Kaepernick. I'd even take Mike Glennon over Kaep.

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Given Kelly wants the opportunity to coach up Kap.

You say that as if it has some factual basis to it. We have no clue as to what Kelly really thinks of Kaepernick. Kelly also said that he wanted Nick Foles to be his QB "for a 1,000 years" about a month before he traded him for Sam Bradford. The reality is that we have no idea what Kelly is really thinking, whether he wants a shot at working with Kaepernick or is simply biding his time and saying all the right stuff until Kaepernick gets shipped out of town.
Share 49ersWebzone