LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 200 users in the forums

Choices at #7

Originally posted by TexasDuck:
Why is Sheldon Rankins off the board?

Because he is the most disruptive defensive lineman in the draft in the mold of Kevin Williams and Jak needs a penetrating DT.

LDE- Malik Jackson
NT- Roy Miller
RDT- Sheldon Rankins/Tyson Alualu
RDE- Dante Fowler

WOLB- Telvin Smith
MLB- Paul Posluszny
SOLB- Dan Skuta

That's about a good a front 7 as any team in the league.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Take Wentz at #7 then use the rest of the draft to build around him.
Ten- Ramsey
Cle- Goff
SD- Tunsil
Dal- Buckner
Jak- Rankins
Balt- Bosa
SF- Jack
101% Carson Wentz. I'd be stoked with either Wentz or Goff. I see them as 1A and 1B. I like Wentz' demeanor. He's a bright kid, film junkie, good face for the franchise. He'd run Chip's offense well not to mention he's athletic and can take off with the ball when needed.

We are in rebuild mode for the next few years so let Wentz sit and learn behind Blaine. Next years QB class looks weak. Let's get our QB now!

Biggest question is if both Goff and Wentz are gone. If this scenario unfolds, I'll take Jack.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Because he is the most disruptive defensive lineman in the draft in the mold of Kevin Williams and Jak needs a penetrating DT.

LDE- Malik Jackson
NT- Roy Miller
RDE- Dante Fowler

WOLB- Telvin Smith
MLB- Paul Posluszny
SOLB- Dan Skuta

You and whatever mock you were referencing are severely over rating Rankins if you think he will be gone before 7
Agree with most here about the posturing. On one hand, this helps build up his trade value, but more importantly to me, they are holding their cards close to the vest. Their position in the draft is unique, as one of two things will happen at #7:

1. A really good QB prospect will be available in either Goff or Wentz
  2. An even better defensive prospect will fall to them (Buckner/Bosa/Jack/Ramsey)

You better believe that Kelly would love to get his hands on either Goff or Wentz, but those defenders are so good that it doesn't make any sense to try trade up. Why give up a 2nd rounder + to move up a few spots and take a player with a lower grade than one who would be available at #7?

There is a risk that they draft Goff / Wentz @ 7, then lose their leverage in a trade scenario, but it's worth the risk to keep Kaep in the fold in case both QBs are gone. This is totally another 2011 Alex Smith scenario. If we draft a QB in the first and don't get a good offer for Kaep, then let's keep him for a year so that Kelly can boost his value for a better trade next off-season.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveYoung:

LDE- Malik Jackson
NT- Roy Miller
RDE- Dante Fowler

WOLB- Telvin Smith
MLB- Paul Posluszny
SOLB- Dan Skuta

Jackson is more likely to be a big end situationally and play inside at 3 tech quite a bit. Odrick, Fowler and Davis will play quite a bit off the edge and obvious passing downs will probably feature Marks and Jackson on the interior.
Jack would be ideal.. we need a superstar that can come in and make immediate impact.. Trent is on the hot seat.. i doubt that he has 3 years to see what a QB can do... plus with Colin and Blaine, we are set.. if we suck again, there be more QB's next draft... maybe we can move brooks inside and draft a pass rusher? i think we should take the best player available... we have many needs!
Originally posted by Trath44:
Jack. I'd also like to trade up and get Conklin in the late 1st.

Everyone respects jack - and he's earned it.

I think Conklin will be an excellent Tackle for years to come.

I'd love to get him - he's got that Kevin Gogan fire.
Share 49ersWebzone