LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 285 users in the forums

2017 QB draft class

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Now lets look at rush attempts, Watson has about twice as many as Wilson and Newton, whether it's run first or read-option, it's still not what I want in a QB.

And what is his (Watson) system, it doesn't have to be Pro Style in order to go through reads or progressions (case in point Jared Goff). My thing is this about progressions, if you've been doing that your whole college career whether its just making your first read, staring down your first read or actually going through reads, what makes you think you can just jump in and do it at the Pro level??

Watch his throws, you say? Well like I said, there's no denying that right, obviously that would make him a 1st round pick (or top 10 maybe). BUT, his passes aren't what I'm getting at. I'm not saying Watson has a noodle arm or anything or isn't accurate, I'm saying sooner or later his tendencies as a QB will be figured out, I just don't see him being one of the elites in the NFL.

Welp we agree to disagree...Watson is asked to run the ball so he does, he was asked to throw the ball against Alabama and he did (30 for 47) He had 478 total yards that game, most by one player in a national championship game history.

Oaklahoma dared him to run and he did for 145 yards a a TD, Alabama dared him to throw the ball and he did for over 400 yards (both are great defenses) all I can go off of is how he played against top teams and he's risen to the occasion time an time again. He has taken what has been given to him.

Cam ran the ball more than Watson in college why can't Watson do what Cam is doing currently? IMO he is more accurate than Cam and has shown he can make all the throws. Also all I care about is scoring points, I don't care if he runs it in or throws it...he had 5,214 total yards this season along with 47 TDs and 13 INTs, I'll take that all day everyday especially with Chip as our HC perfect fit for us (if we don't get Goff).

you hate Clemson or something ? I know you have said you don't want a duel threat QB for whatever reason, but he's right on par with Mariota and if we want to maximize Chip's offense we need a duel threat.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Now lets look at rush attempts, Watson has about twice as many as Wilson and Newton, whether it's run first or read-option, it's still not what I want in a QB.

And what is his (Watson) system, it doesn't have to be Pro Style in order to go through reads or progressions (case in point Jared Goff). My thing is this about progressions, if you've been doing that your whole college career whether its just making your first read, staring down your first read or actually going through reads, what makes you think you can just jump in and do it at the Pro level??

Watch his throws, you say? Well like I said, there's no denying that right, obviously that would make him a 1st round pick (or top 10 maybe). BUT, his passes aren't what I'm getting at. I'm not saying Watson has a noodle arm or anything or isn't accurate, I'm saying sooner or later his tendencies as a QB will be figured out, I just don't see him being one of the elites in the NFL.

Welp we agree to disagree...Watson is asked to run the ball so he does, he was asked to throw the ball against Alabama and he did (30 for 47) He had 478 total yards that game, most by one player in a national championship game history.

Oaklahoma dared him to run and he did for 145 yards a a TD, Alabama dared him to throw the ball and he did for over 400 yards (both are great defenses) all I can go off of is how he played against top teams and he's risen to the occasion time an time again. He has taken what has been given to him.

Cam ran the ball more than Watson in college why can't Watson do what Cam is doing currently? IMO he is more accurate than Cam and has shown he can make all the throws. Also all I care about is scoring points, I don't care if he runs it in or throws it...he had 5,214 total yards this season along with 47 TDs and 13 INTs, I'll take that all day everyday especially with Chip as our HC perfect fit for us (if we don't get Goff).

you hate Clemson or something ? I know you have said you don't want a duel threat QB for whatever reason, but he's right on par with Mariota and if we want to maximize Chip's offense we need a duel threat.

I get that Watson did a lot of great things in college, but I think we can all agree that it doesn't exactly translate to the Pros.

And I'm not even sure Mariota will actually be successful in the NFL on a consistent basis. Trust me I hope he does, matter of fact the whole state of Hawaii hopes he does.

Also the thing with Cam Newton and his running ability at the next level is that he's about 245 pounds compared to Watson who is tall and lanky and barely 210 pounds. Newton imposes his will when running the ball, Kaepernick can't even do that at 230 pounds how well do you think Watson will be running the ball in the NFL.

In the end, I have nothing against Clemson and have absolutely no doubt that Watson will be a 1st round pick. This whole argument or debate comes down to one thing and that's preference.

Have a good day NY.
Watson will not be able to do in NFL what he does in CFB.He already had a ACL reconstructed and long term is better for him to work on his QB skills.

Regarding the problems of college QBs going through progressions, its about coaching mentality in CFB.
Very few programs run NFL concepts on their teams(Qb and other positions) and thats a problem(Stanford, Alabama, Florida State)
Even bigger problem is that NFL embrace some read option/zone read crap.
Now is the CBF marking the tendencies not NFL.
Was not sure if already posted but is there a list of top QBs coming up in the draft? I think its obvious niners will be in the hunt for QB w/ one of their higher picks in the upcoming draft. Would appreciate if anybody can add to the list:

1. Deshawn Watson
2. Brad Kaaya
3. Chad Kelly
4. Luke Falk
5. Baker Mayfield
6. Josh Dobbs
7. Seth Russell - Baylor - A bit injury prone
8. Patrick Towles - Boston College - He may go higher than expected (Paxton Lynch clone)
9. Bart Houston - Wisconsin - Looks the part but not much production
10. Tyler O'Connor - Michigan St. - Not the douche Conor Cook is, but doesn't have anywhere near the production either, played in 12 games in 3 yrs.
11. Greyson Lambert - Georgia - Prototypical size and arm strength, but something screams out career back up in his play.

Edit: Updated list in no specific order. Thanks for contributing I'll continue to update the list as needed.
[ Edited by Mertonschickendance on Aug 30, 2016 at 7:31 PM ]
I think it's comical that Kaaya is in this group or top tier QB's. Personally next years class is strictly stay away material IMO. Great college ball QB's there, i just am not seeing great NFL QB's in any of these kids.
Originally posted by wailers15:
I think it's comical that Kaaya is in this group or top tier QB's. Personally next years class is strictly stay away material IMO. Great college ball QB's there, i just am not seeing great NFL QB's in any of these kids.

Kaaya is a pretty good prospect if you want a traditional pocket passer without any real mobility. Has a quick release, moves through his progressions really well, gets the ball to the receiver on time, overall he can be a good NFL QB, I just don't see him being a fit in Kelly's system.

Watson is a pretty complete QB, he just plays in a spread system, but he can run, he can throw, he can move through his progressions, he has pretty good accuracy and shows tremendous leadership out on the field.

Falk is another QB that I like a lot. He's highly accurate, has been clutch in key situations, is a natural playmaker, has tremendous work ethic and is already buying into all the sports science stuff that Kelly likes to push.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 29, 2016 at 2:38 PM ]

I feel like we have used this excuse for the past 2 years and is part of the reason we are here right now. We need to draft a QB next year and early. Saying we should stay away will further stunt the progress of our team.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I feel like we have used this excuse for the past 2 years and is part of the reason we are here right now. We need to draft a QB next year and early. Saying we should stay away will further stunt the progress of our team.

There is never going to be a perfect QB. Even a guy like Andrew Luck who was widely considered the best prospect since Peyton Manning hasn't been all that astonishing. He has done well for the most part but hasn't lived up to the hype that preceded his selection.

What draft history tells us is that your odds of finding a top QB are significantly better at the top of the draft and that they drastically start to drop off the further away you get from the 1st round.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Kaaya is a pretty good prospect if you want a traditional pocket passer without any real mobility. Has a quick release, moves through his progressions really well, gets the ball to the receiver on time, overall he can be a good NFL QB, I just don't see him being a fit in Kelly's system.

Watson is a pretty complete QB, he just plays in a spread system, but he can run, he can throw, he can move through his progressions, he has pretty good accuracy and shows tremendous leadership out on the field.

Falk is another QB that I like a lot. He's highly accurate, has been clutch in key situations, is a natural playmaker, has tremendous work ethic and is already buying into all the sports science stuff that Kelly likes to push.

Falk i do like. Kaaya just something I see in his game that I'm not sold on. Like all we shall see. Never thought Siemien would be a starter either. I just think Kaaya is one of those QB's you draft and have sit for 2-3 yrs to develop.

I will say this though, I think the QB class after next is one to keep an eye out on.
Rosen is an interesting talent as is Browning. Mason Rudolph can chuck it nice. (Definitely not a weeden type),

I'd be more excited to grab Garret from A&M (imagine Garret on this team with our already talented D. or Fournette (i know a lot of miles but is a beast)
Those two mentioned alone I would take over any of those QB's.

Dobbs has the record for biggest forehead in Tennessee history, and Peyton once played there

Deshaun Watson looking really good for us right now. Hell, he can come in and start right now We need to draft him; move up if we have too. . . .
I'm coming around on Watson just because our QBs are that bad! If Gabbert is our QB all season McDonald will finish with 100 catches and our wrs will total 80. He simply can't complete throws to wrs consistently. I also would mind taking a chance on Glennon or Savage from Houston. Baalke usually only takes chances on ACLs or bad character. A lot of people are down on Glennon because they don't remember him playing. His 1st year numbers are the same as Winstons. If we could give up a 3rd or 4th rounder for Savage I would prefer that and use our picks elsewhere. We do need to spend some picks on WRs instead of hoping low rounders work out.
Luke Falk all the way.
Originally posted by NorthWest9Er:
Luke Falk all the way.

October is what I am waiting for when it comes to Falk. He plays Oregon, Stanford and UCLA in consecutive weeks.

If he does well during that brutal 3 week period, it will really pump up his draft status.
I think all those qb's listed are good prospects and this class is much better than last years. Not really that hig on Dobbs though. Watson is clearly the number 1 guy then i like Falk, Kaaya and Mayfield.
Share 49ersWebzone