2017 QB draft class

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Or RB

RB.

But its all about Myles Garrett.

We won't have a shot at him.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I'm just not buying the strong armed-athletic QB anymore, I much rather have a pocket passer.

Thing is he's a good pocket QB as well, he was super accurate last year he reminds me of Mariota with a bigger arm.
Or RB

RB.

I said the same thing about Buckner last year lol
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I'm just not buying the strong armed-athletic QB anymore, I much rather have a pocket passer.

Thing is he's a good pocket QB as well, he was super accurate last year he reminds me of Mariota with a bigger arm.

He's alright in the pocket, he's not really a progressions type of guy. I saw a few times he get's a little jumpy when there's pressure and will take off. A read-option type of QB, again not impressed by that. Hopefully they stay far away from these type of QB's.

Jared Goff or BUST!!!
Originally posted by NYniner85:

He's alright in the pocket, he's not really a progressions type of guy. I saw a few times he get's a little jumpy when there's pressure and will take off. A read-option type of QB, again not impressed by that. Hopefully they stay far away from these type of QB's.

Jared Goff or BUST!!!

I mean that's kinda what chip runs no?
Originally posted by okdkid:
Truth be told -- projecting a full year out on college QB prospects is a risky proposition. Nobody really has any idea what the QB class will look like. It could be terrible, it good be solid. Have to let it play out.

Goff would be at worst the 2nd QB chosen in next years draft. If he is available at #7, they likely wont be able to get anyone better in next year's draft.

This is probably true. There's no one that looks that promising after Watson. I'll be thrilled if we end up with the #1 or #2 pick and get Garrett/Watson (Watson if we miss out on Wentz/Goff), but the odds are against us having a top 2 pick and those guys are the heavy favorites to be the top two picks next year. There's a long time before the draft, but barring injury, Garrett will be a top 2 pick and Watson looks really good too. I'd take a 3-13 season over a 6-10 one if it means we get Garrett or Watson.

3-13 but competitive most weeks with an improved +/- and some improvements from young players would be ideal. It's possible with how bad our offensive line is likely to be. We flat out need more talent and next year is a good year to suck with Garrett, Watson, Fournette, and others at the top.
Luke Falk, WKU - 6'4, 215 - will get knocked for the system he plays in, but he's a stud. Love his story too. Former walk on, who was thrown into action as a redshirt Frosh, and played well. And last year in his first year as a starter threw for 4561, 38 TDs, and only 8 INTs (in an offense where everyone knows they're going to throw it). Calling it now, he'll be a 1st rounder.

Greg Ward, Houston - very good passer, dynamic runner. Excelled in his first year under Herman's offense and could only get better. He's on the Russell Wilson side of the size chart though, which will make him fall.

DeShone Kizer, ND - I hate ND as a school first and foremost, so me including him, must mean I see something I like. Think if he wins the starting job (in my opinion he should), will have a year to star and could come out and go early.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Luke Falk, WKU - 6'4, 215 - will get knocked for the system he plays in, but he's a stud. Love his story too. Former walk on, who was thrown into action as a redshirt Frosh, and played well. And last year in his first year as a starter threw for 4561, 38 TDs, and only 8 INTs (in an offense where everyone knows they're going to throw it). Calling it now, he'll be a 1st rounder.

Greg Ward, Houston - very good passer, dynamic runner. Excelled in his first year under Herman's offense and could only get better. He's on the Russell Wilson side of the size chart though, which will make him fall.

DeShone Kizer, ND - I hate ND as a school first and foremost, so me including him, must mean I see something I like. Think if he wins the starting job (in my opinion he should), will have a year to star and could come out and go early.

As a ND fan, I think Zaire and Kizer have a 50/50 shot at winning the starting job. Kizer was a pleasant surprise, but I didn't see anything that made me think he'll be a first round pick. We had a very talented offense with an elite offensive line, solid running game (didn't lose a step when Folston went down), and some talent at WR with Fuller, Robinson, and Brown. It will be interesting to see how the offense looks next year with Stanley, Martin, Fuller, and Brown gone on offense (and Procise, but Folston and Adams are as good).

Deshaun Watson is on another level than these guys in my opinion.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Truth be told -- projecting a full year out on college QB prospects is a risky proposition. Nobody really has any idea what the QB class will look like. It could be terrible, it good be solid. Have to let it play out.

I'm gonna disagree, we knew Matt Stafford, Andrew Luck, Jared Goff, Marcus Mariota would all be good prospect a year out from the draft. There is nothing special here. If anything the 2017 draft would be the draft to go defense.
I think the point he's making is that it's kind of a crap shoot. A year ago Christian Hackenberg is being projected as the number one overall pick when now it's looking like he'll be taken somewhere in rounds 2-5. Conversely Carson Wentz would have gone undrafted. No point in really addressing this unless there's a once in a decade prospect like Luck.
Originally posted by Draftology:
Conversely Carson Wentz would have gone undrafted

People were talking about Wentz as a potential 1st rounder a year back. Greg Gabriel is one that has been on the Wentz Train for awhile.

The biggest surprises to me were Lynch and Prescott. Beyond that Goff already had plenty of hype after his sophomore season.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 28, 2016 at 8:41 PM ]

Watson is not a first round QB
Or RB

RB.

Oh well. Dalvin Cook it is then. Noles!!!
Originally posted by The411:

Say wat son?
[ Edited by Nalo9er on Mar 29, 2016 at 12:05 AM ]
Originally posted by The411:

Are you saying he won't be taken in the 1st round or he shouldn't be? Cryptic posts are cryptic.
Whoever wins the QB battle between Keller Chryst (Geep's son) and Ryan Burns at Stanford. Both have prototypical size.

Max Browne at USC will be interesting to track as well. Was highly touted coming out of high school, waited patiently behind Kessler.
Share 49ersWebzone