LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Goff/Wentz in 1st, or Doughty/Hogan in the 4th?

I haven't seen any of our QB gurus talk about the value of the above scenario. Why doesn't Doughty get more love? His stats are amazing, his size is solid. Lot's of yardage, few interceptions, and touchdowns galore. Might not a trio of Jack/Buckner, Doctson, Doughty be stronger than Goff, Doctson, and the next best defender on the board? Just asking...
Both. Goff and Hogan would be nice.
Goff and it's not even close. The 4th is too early for Hogan. He should still be on the board in the 5th or 6th rd.
Originally posted by DownSouth:
Goff and it's not even close. The 4th is too early for Hogan. He should still be on the board in the 5th or 6th rd.

Agree. Just hope Baalke doesn't throw a monkey wrench into the thing. The board will blow up if Goff is there at #7 and Baalke doesn't pull the trigger.
Originally posted by Murphys1:
I haven't seen any of our QB gurus talk about the value of the above scenario. Why doesn't Doughty get more love? His stats are amazing, his size is solid. Lot's of yardage, few interceptions, and touchdowns galore. Might not a trio of Jack/Buckner, Doctson, Doughty be stronger than Goff, Doctson, and the next best defender on the board? Just asking...

Way too early for Doughty. I've seen a lot of reports like this about teams being concerned that the guy just falls apart under pressure. He's still a long shot at best.

-While some teams still value Brandon Doughty, he's considered undrafted by more than I expected. He won't be a fit for many teams, and his pocket issues under pressure (LSU game in particular) was the primary talked about issue.

Hogan projects out as a game manager as a starter but likely a backup at the next level, struggles to drive the ball the way you see from guys like Goff, Wentz and even Cook.

If the 49ers decide that they do need a QB and either Goff or Wentz are available then I don't see how you pass up on them to go essentially buy a lottery ticket with the other two.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 28, 2016 at 12:00 PM ]
Phoenix (or any QB guy), what do you see from Doughty...that is, how can a guy dominate like he has, understanding the lesser competition factor, and still be such a seemingly poor fit for the pros? Wentz went against lesser comp...I know arm strength could be an issue from Doughty, we know not all great QBs have great arms, but how do you cut it at a major college program, and be so easily dismissed as a potential NFL guy? And if he falls apart under pressure, how did he put up such amazing numbers? Even at W. Kentucky, on game day, there is a lot of pressure.
Phoenix (or any QB guy), what do you see from Doughty...that is, how can a guy dominate like he has, understanding the lesser competition factor, and still be such a seemingly poor fit for the pros? Wentz went against lesser comp...I know arm strength could be an issue from Doughty, we know not all great QBs have great arms, but how do you cut it at a major college program, and be so easily dismissed as a potential NFL guy? And if he falls apart under pressure, how did he put up such amazing numbers? Even at W. Kentucky, on game day, there is a lot of pressure.

Stats don't ever tell the whole story. You have to look beyond the stats, otherwise you'd be dropping 1st rounders on Colt Brennan and Kellen Moore. Doughty isn't a bad prospect by any means but he's not in the same ballpark as Goff and Wentz . He was very successful but he has some limitations, doesn't have the greatest arm strength, his awareness appears to be lacking as he was too eager to check down at times and as far as pressure goes, I don't mean pressure in general, I mean he handles the pass rush poorly.

Go watch the WKU-LSU game and you see a guy who just absolutely fell apart, who wasn't trusting what he was seeing and was almost non-functional. Doughty IMO would be worth a 5th or 6th rounder to take a flyer on the guy, maybe he could even work out as a pretty good backup but I wouldn't count on him turning into a stud NFL QB, I don't think his odds of sticking on an NFL roster are that great period.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 28, 2016 at 1:57 PM ]
IF we finally unload Kaep, I am all for the draft two QB scenario. I would prefer Goff, but Wentz would not be the worst consolation prize. After that, I would wait till the 5th or 6th round to get one of these developmental QB's:

Dak Prescott in the 5th (only because of his bonehead DUI)
Kevin Hogan, Brandon Allen, Jeff Driskell or Vernon Adams in the 6th
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
IF we finally unload Kaep, I am all for the draft two QB scenario. I would prefer Goff, but Wentz would not be the worst consolation prize. After that, I would wait till the 5th or 6th round to get one of these developmental QB's:

Dak Prescott in the 5th (only because of his bonehead DUI)
Kevin Hogan, Brandon Allen, Jeff Driskell or Vernon Adams in the 6th

I think that Goff or Wentz plus Hogan or Adams would be a nice combo to go along with Gabbert.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Stats don't ever tell the whole story. You have to look beyond the stats, otherwise you'd be dropping 1st rounders on Colt Brennan and Kellen Moore. Doughty isn't a bad prospect by any means but he's not in the same ballpark as Goff and Wentz . He was very successful but he has some limitations, doesn't have the greatest arm strength, his awareness appears to be lacking as he was too eager to check down at times and as far as pressure goes, I don't mean pressure in general, I mean he handles the pass rush poorly.

Go watch the WKU-LSU game and you see a guy who just absolutely fell apart, who wasn't trusting what he was seeing and was almost non-functional. Doughty IMO would be worth a 5th or 6th rounder to take a flyer on the guy, maybe he could even work out as a pretty good backup but I wouldn't count on him turning into a stud NFL QB, I don't think his odds of sticking on an NFL roster are that great period.
Thanks. That's what I was looking for...QBs and WRs though...such a mystery to project.

Share 49ersWebzone