LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 297 users in the forums

Keyarris Garrett-WR-Tulsa

This is a player that needs a thread of his own as well. I've watched a couple more Tulsa games and I'm still pretty impressed with Garrett. He really caught my eye in the Memphis game this past season. Big, tall, productive receiver with good upside for the next level, not super fast but a long strider that wins vertically and can be a nice weapon in the redzone. Particularly is adept at using his big body to shield the ball away from defenders, does a good job on slants and other quick throws as defenders struggle to get around him. Not very elusive, mostly a straightline guy but his size gives him a nice advantage over most defenders, attacks the ball in the air and his hands from what I've seen are pretty reliable.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/50150

Separation Skills-3-Straight line route runner who is raw but has exceptional size and strength. Not going to create much separation with quickness. At his best with slants and down field routes where he can use his size to his advantage in creating late separation when the ball is in the air.

Ball Skills-2-Rangy target with a wide catch radius. Generally plucks away from frame but will occasionally allow underneath throw get into body. Utilizes bigger frame well to box out defenders in contested situations. Adequate body control adjusting to throws outside of frame. Displays natural ability tracking the deep ball over his shoulder.

Big play ability-2-Not a burner and gradually builds to top-end speed. Stride length allow him to cover enough ground to threaten vertically. Poses a down field and red zone matchup problem due to size, strength and overall range. Needs a seam to pick up chunk yards after the catch.

Competitiveness-3-Willing to work in traffic and shows adequate focus in a crowd. Aggressive fighting for ball in jump ball situations. While he is a physical receiver he got away with some push offs in contested situations that will likely be called at the next level. Ball carriage has a tendency to get loose in traffic and can show better ball security as a runner. Good overall effort as a blocker and flashes the ability to engulf defenders down field at times.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Had him on my fantasy team, guy put up incredible numbers, his QB wasn't that great either, at least I wasn't too impressed with him.
[ Edited by jimrat on Mar 27, 2016 at 3:25 PM ]
where you see him going? I've seen 3rd round I've seen the 6th...not seeing much as far as route running goes.
I like this guy in the late 4th/early 5th if he makes it that far. Needs quite a but of coaching but he could be a good surprise
Originally posted by jimrat:
Had him on my fantasy team, guy put up incredible numbers, his QB wasn't that great either, at least I wasn't too impressed with him.

Evans is pretty much #YOLO mode all the time, backyard style football, run around and chuck it up. He depended a lot on Garrett to bail him out from some really iffy looking throws. Not sure how he'll hold up with Garrett gone now.
I'd consider him as early as the 3rd. Potential huge payoff.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
where you see him going? I've seen 3rd round I've seen the 6th...not seeing much as far as route running goes.

4th round imo, and he'd be a good value there. I feel like he's pretty underrated. And no he's not very well developed as a route runner but he's got solid hands and unlike some guys, as a bigger receiver he's quite aware of how to use his body to keep defenders away from the football. He's not afraid whatsoever to go into traffic to make a catch and one of the things that impressed me is that he didn't quit on routes when he wasn't the intended target. Seems like a pretty hard worker, has had some injury issues but he could be a good receiver to develop. Minimally he seems like he could be a nice redzone target.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by jimrat:

Evans is pretty much #YOLO mode all the time, backyard style football, run around and chuck it up. He depended a lot on Garrett to bail him out from some really iffy looking throws. Not sure how he'll hold up with Garrett gone now.

I hope we grab him, love the production, size and jumping ability.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

4th round imo, and he'd be a good value there. I feel like he's pretty underrated. And no he's not very well developed as a route runner but he's got solid hands and unlike some guys, as a bigger receiver he's quite aware of how to use his body to keep defenders away from the football. He's not afraid whatsoever to go into traffic to make a catch and one of the things that impressed me is that he didn't quit on routes when he wasn't the intended target. Seems like a pretty hard worker, has had some injury issues but he could be a good receiver to develop. Minimally he seems like he could be a nice redzone target.

I read that he was charged with 13 drops the past two seasons and he only has 9 inch hands which I found kinda small for his size

I like the red zone ability with his long arms though 4th sounds about right to me...I've been watching a lot of carroo love his game got him in my last mock of the year in the 3rd.
This is a sneaky good WR draft, the names at the top aren't as sexy as OBJ, Evans, Sammy, etc. but there's plenty of depth throughout. Should find a couple of good scheme fits.

Love this guy. He has a Brandon Marshall quality about him. I can see the Steelers drafting him in the 3rd and add to their absolute dominance of mid round WRs soho become stars.
Good player. Really like his game. My number 10 WR in a good class.
The Backyard Banter's Matt Harmon says Tulsa WR Keyarris Garrett's "size, speed and legitimate upside are real" and calls him the "unicorn" of the receiver class.

Garrett posted a cool 96-1,588-8 line last year, taking 97.6 percent of his snaps on the right side of the field, mostly on the line of scrimmage. Like Corey Coleman, Garrett's route tree is limited right now, because the Baylor-now-Tulsa system simplifies the assignments of its receivers. We know Garrett can run the deep route, and he gets you off of that with nifty curl routes. Outside of that, he'll need to be taught. Harmon believes Garrett "needs some cleaning up in regards to his technique and mental approach to the game" because he struggled against zone coverage. The 6-foot-3 1/2, 221-pounder with 34-inch arms had one of this year's most underrated Combine showings, running a nice 4.53 forty for his size with a broad jump of 128". "...there's no denying that he is a unique entity in this draft class for even giving us the opportunity to imagine a high ceiling for him to hit," Harmon wrote.
I hope he makes he Panthers roster this year
Share 49ersWebzone