LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 286 users in the forums

Pre-Draft Visits (#7 Prediction)

I have used this this technique to predict both Jimmie Ward and Arik Armstead the past two years. Here's more from MB: "Of the seven first-round picks 49ers general manager Trent Baalke has selected since he started running the draft, only one -- safety Eric Reid in 2013 -- did not pay a visit to the 49ers beforehand. Which is to say, when a prospect shows up in Santa Clara in late March or April, it's significant." http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article68226012.html#storylink=cpy

From MB and work by the Webzone staff, here is a nice preliminary list.

Who is your early prediction at #7?

Scheduled Visits to 49ers Headquarters
CB Mackenzie Alexander, Clemson
CB Eli Apple, Ohio State
WR Corey Coleman, Baylor
OLB/DE Kevin Dodd, Clemson
DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson
DL Robert Nkemdiche, Mississippi
WR Laquon Treadwell, Mississippi

East-West Shrine Game
QB Vernon Adams Jr., Oregon

Senior Bowl
WR Leonte Carroo, Rutgers
NT Austin Johnson, Penn State
LB Reggie Ragland, Alabama

NFL Scouting Combine (Feb 23-29)
QB Vernon Adams Jr., Oregon
CB Mackenzie Alexander, Clemson
QB Jared Goff, California
DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson
QB Paxton Lynch, Memphis
S Neanu Neal, Florida
DE Dadi Nicolas, Virginia Tech
QB Dak Prescott, Mississippi State
OT Ronnie Stanley, Notre Dame

School or Player Pro Days
DE Joey Bosa, Ohio State (Mar 11)
ILB Beniquez Brown, Mississippi State (Mar 10)
QB Connor Cook, Michigan State (Mar 16)
CB Blake Countess, Auburn (Mar 7)
RB Tyler Ervin, San Jose State (Mar 16)
QB Jared Goff, California (Mar 18)
OLB Myles Jack, UCLA (Mar 15)
RB Daniel Lasco, California (Mar 18)
FS Jalen Mills, LSU (Mar 14)
OT Dominique Robertson, West Georgia (Mar 8)
DE Mike Rose, North Carolina State (Mar 22)
WR Laquon Treadwell, Mississippi (Mar 28)
QB Carson Wentz, North Dakota State (Mar 24)
WR De'Runnya Wilson, Mississippi State (Mar 10)

Private Workouts/Meetings
OLB/DE Kevin Dodd, Clemson (Mar 24)
DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson (Mar 24)
QB Joe Licata, Buffalo (reported Mar 9)
TE Matt Weiser, Buffalo (Mar 22)
OLB Shilique Calhoun, MSU Pro Day (Phoenix)

See more at: http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/92787-49ers-pre-draft-visit-meeting-tracker/#sthash.yWGe8Fwl.dpuf
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 26, 2016 at 7:57 PM ]
Mods, may want to combine with NorthBay49er's work as well.
So, Shaq Lawson or Mackenzie Alexander, then Vernon Adams later?
Originally posted by strickac:

Hmmm,for the first pick, 7 of the 8 we met with but given that Goldson left, Reid was our pick all along, so really, 100%. So one of these guys will be the #7 pick no doubt (I'm sure this list will be updated).

IIRC, the rest of the picks fell somewhere between 40-60% visits that equated to draft picks.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by strickac:

Hmmm,for the first pick, 7 of the 8 we met with but given that Goldson left, Reid was our pick all along, so really, 100%. So one of these guys will be the #7 pick no doubt (I'm sure this list will be updated).

IIRC, the rest of the picks fell somewhere between 40-60% visits that equated to draft picks.

I think facility visits are more about comfort and compatibility with the coaching staff than any direct valuation by the personnel staff. Baalke already knows what he's seen; he just wants to make sure that his 1st-rounder will flourish in SF, and interacting well with the staff is a big deal (all my opinion, of course). This wasn't as big of a deal with Reid, as Harbaugh already got to know him and his family when he tried to recruit him to Stanford. I'm guessing the same dynamic could exist with Buckner.
So if we are drafting someone that's visited then Baalke is looking at trading down because IMO none of them are worth the 7th overall pick.
Shaq Lawson is projected to go right outside the top ten. NFL.com mocks have him at 9, 11 and 13. Not much room to trade back.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 26, 2016 at 12:24 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
So if we are drafting someone that's visited then Baalke is looking at trading down because IMO none of them are worth the 7th overall pick.

Goff will be there for the Local Pro Day. Buckner is already familiar with Kelly and coach Azz. There are (were) 27 visits scheduled already, and we haven't heard of all of them yet.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Goff will be there for the Local Pro Day. Buckner is already familiar with Kelly and coach Azz. There are (were) 27 visits scheduled already, and we haven't heard of all of them yet.

yeah I feel like a lot of the players we are talking with are best suited in a trade down situation.

yeah I feel like a lot of the players we are talking with are best suited in a trade down situation.

I'm just saying there's no reason to dismiss guys like Jack, Buckner, Goff, or Wentz, simply because we haven't heard any reports of them visiting SF. Some will likely visit w/o us knowing, some may visit in the future and the visit isn't scheduled yet, some may not need to visit, because the familiarity/comfort is already there (like w/Reid).

Right now I have Jared Goff and Shaq Lawson as the two biggest possibilities. Depends what we do with Kap. I'm projecting both Buckner and Jack will be gone by the time we pick.
You forgot Shilique Calhoun, 49ers coaches worked him out at OLB at the MSU Pro Day.

I'm just saying there's no reason to dismiss guys like Jack, Buckner, Goff, or Wentz, simply because we haven't heard any reports of them visiting SF. Some will likely visit w/o us knowing, some may visit in the future and the visit isn't scheduled yet, some may not need to visit, because the familiarity/comfort is already there (like w/Reid).

Oh no I understand I'm just saying the ones that have been reported as visiting aren't really worth the 7th pick
Oh no I understand I'm just saying the ones that have been reported as visiting aren't really worth the 7th pick

Agreed. If any of those guys is the pick at 7 I'd be pissed
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
You forgot Shilique Calhoun, 49ers coaches worked him out at OLB at the MSU Pro Day.

If we go QB at #7, he could be our guy in the 2nd. He fits the Baalke mold.
Share 49ersWebzone