LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 234 users in the forums

Niners 2016 OLB depth, draft priority?

I was previously focused on OLB in the 2016 draft. However, with Baalke more or less deferring on high priced FA, this team has a lot of needs. How big of a priority is OLB.

Lynch
Brooks
Harold
Carradine
Lemonier

I think they should wait till they 4th or later to pull the trigger on OLB in the draft.
Lemonier has to go. What a waste of a pick. ZERO production for two years. Carradine may be worth a look in preseason, but he could be trade bait for a 4-3 team if he can't cut it as a 3-4 OLB. I would love to see the Niners take a pass rusher in the early rounds and then a developmental guy like Matt Judon, Tyrone Holmes or someone like them in the 5th or 6th round, too.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Mar 21, 2016 at 6:53 PM ]
Double post.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Mar 21, 2016 at 6:52 PM ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Lemonier has to go. What a waste of a pick. ZERO production for two years. Carradine may be worth a look in preseason, but he could be trade bait for a 4-3 team if he can't cut it as a 3-4 OLB. I would love to see the Niners take a pass rusher in the early rounds and then a developmental guy like Matt Judon, Tyrone Holmes or someone like them in the 5th or 6th round, too.

I like the idea of 2 pass rushers.
It's a big enough need to look at potentially picking one up in the first round. Ideally Lynch starts on the left side, with a high pick on the right, while Brooks, Harold, and Tank rotate in.
I still wish that chip trades for Dion Jordan
I don't think you go into the draft with saying I'm selecting a OLB in rd 4. You stick with your big board. If a OLB is there in round 2 and you had a 1st round grade on him you pick him there.
If you want to talk about mid round pass rushers that are worh a look I like

Jenkins
Ngakoue
Nicolas
mccalister

All can be had from the 3rd-5th round according to cbs rankings.
Originally posted by elguapo:

Do you really miss Manny Lawson that much?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Dion Jordan..... Arik Armstead... . and soon, Buckner...

all former Oregon players who looked very solid and imposing regardless of their position...

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by elguapo:

Do you really miss Manny Lawson that much?

Exactly. And after qb it's the biggest need on this team.
I'm all for jumping on an OLB in round 1. We are at least 2-3 years from being competitive and this is definitely Brooks last season. I think Harold could develop into a quality backup and Lemonier has no value.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Jenkins
Ngakoue
Nicolas
mccalister

That's a good list if the Niners don't address the position earlier.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Jenkins
Ngakoue
Nicolas
mccalister

That's a good list if the Niners don't address the position earlier.

I can see Baalke doubling down on a big DE and OLB for sure. Someone like jones or butler in a trade up in the 1st would be a smart move with Williams being questionable.

I'd love something like

Goff
Butler
Jenkins as our first 3 picks
Share 49ersWebzone