LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

D-Money's first mock draft of the year!!!

This is my first mock draft of the year. I will do a 2nd mock draft later where neither of the top qb's are available at #7, which may the case. I have taken into consideration that our team has many holes and it will be impossible to fill those holes with great/quality starters in just one draft. I still can't get over that as bad as our team was last year, there were still six teams that were worse; absolutely mind-boggling. Let me know what you think, if not oh well because I had fun putting this together. Go 49ers, our goal this year is simply to score some points and develop a direction offensively going forward under Chip Kelley. I always believed that offense takes longer than defense to gel and come together, which is why I emphasized the skill positions and the O-line as that was the weakest part of our team last year, by far. Even worse than the qb play, believe it or not.

Round 1 (#7 Overall) QB
Jared Goff- The player that has been linked to 49ers more than any other prospect. He's a Bay Area Native and may be the one person who actually wants to play for the 49ers at this point. He is a poor man's Joe Montana. Great feet, great movement within the pocket, great poise under pressure, extremely quick decision maker and with a quick release to match. He will need a year to sit if possible, at least the first half of the season to be sure. But he is the type of qb you take when you are rebuilding and don't currently have a starting caliber qb on the roster. Has all the tools to become an elite player at his position but will need time. I would feel much better about the direction of my team going forward with Goff as our first pick.

Round 2 (#37 Overall) WR
Josh Doctson- I think he may end up being the best wide receiver in the draft. He is a smooth route runner with more game speed than timed speed. His hands should be considered dangerous weapons and require a permit as he snatches everything from every angle. He would easily become the new qb's favorite target, as he consistently wins 50/50 balls. He will be a great receiver for a long long time as he adds to his route tree which was limited at TCU. It's common for teams who select qb's in the first round to follow it up with a complimentary player in the next round. He is also very similar to Chips former wdieout drafted in the 2nd round in Jordan Matthews. The Goff, Doctson, and Hyde combo would definitely get me excited for the season. Also I feel a lot more comfortable with Chip in the room when we select a wideout from now on.

Round 3 (# 68 overall) T/G
Shon Coleman- He has all the ability in the world. He also has faced the adversity of having his world come crashing down on him as he diagnosed with leukemia and beat it two years ago now. He has long arms, great power, and a nastiness rivaled by few. I think he is a first round talent who is available at this point due to his medical history only. I don't think we can pass at him at this point as he is a very similar to A.Davis in terms of his game. If A.Davis comes back, Coleman could play guard if not he could battle with T.Brown to be the starting RT/Swing Tackle.

Round 4 (#105 overall) C/G
Jack Allen- A versatile interior lineman who is scrappy, tough, and very very football smart. A true technician and someone every other team will regret not drafting. Is everything Marcus Martin isn't. He is not the biggest or the strongest, he is very pesky and will battle till the whistle, a true leader along the line and has very high football IQ. Would provide insurance that Martin or Devey don't enter the starting lineup again and will push Kilgore for his starting spot in year one.

Round 4 (#133 overall) DT/DE
Vincent Valentine- Huge run stopper who actually has quite a bit of athletic ability. He recorded three sacks in only ten games at his position last year and was part of group in 2014 which shut down the run and controlled the line of scrimmage on third down. Very Quinton Dial like, as he could play nose or end in our system. A huge need with I. Williams's questionable durability issues to say the least. Keeps our D-Line big and strong in the event Williams can't go. Very high ceiling and monster run stopper at worst.

Round 5 (#142 overall) RT/G
Brandon Shell- Huge OT who started every game since his freshman season. A true right tackle who lacks the athleticism to play on the left side. Gives our line added depth and size at both RT and RG. Which are still needs after considering last years lack of quality players and depth along the oline. Need to make this group the strength of the team again. Great Uncle is Art Shell for what it's worth and Brandon has been dubbed the 'anti-Clowney' due to his work ethic both on and off the field.

Round 5 (#145 overall) LB
Josh Forrest- Big athletic ILB, who just recently began playing football. Was a WR before he converted to Linebacker and bulked up for the position. A true class act and student both on and off the field. Currently working on his 2nd degree at UK. He may not be ready for the full time roll for a year or so. But him and Hodges play would complement each other very well. It also adds depth at a position that was never fully address after last season's defections. Special teams mainstay who has a chance to develop.

Round 5 (#174 overall) TE
Bryce Williams- A huge target with good body mass to him. A red zone threat and adds to our TE crop which has maximum potential overall but a lack of quality results. Celek, McDonald, Bell, and Williams all add a threat at the TE position to help Chip create mismatches. The group overall is very solid but needs one the players to separate themselves from the rest. Also Baalke loves his TE's, it's only a matter of time before we add one in the draft.

Round 6 (#178 overall) Edge Rusher
Dadi Nicolas- A true pass rusher and nothing more. He could provide instant special teams value though. He may not look good when he does it, but he always seems to get it done. Had a total of 17.5 sacks in 16 starts for VT. We need more pass rushers, I would've loved to add more pass rushers earlier, but we had to address our atrocious offense first. Also, Baalke did us no favors by not addressing any needs in FA, unfortunately, as important as pass rushers are, something will have to wait until next year to be addressed. As that should help out the defense more than anything else. He could instantly push Lemonade out the door. Provides needed depth as I expect constant rotation for the olb due to the amount of defense plays our team should expect to play week in and week out.

Round 6 (#207 overall) RB,WR
Byron Marshall- Someone Chip should be very familiar with coming from UO. Made the transition from rb to wr almost seamlessly. Recording over 1,000 yards from both positions. He would be a great compliment to Hyde as he would be the Kevin Faulk of our offense. Our receiving threat that lines up in the backfield but can move out and create mismatches all over the field. Extremely fast player and hard worker. Loves the game of football.

Round 6 (#211 overall) WR
Caleb Jones- One of my favorite players in the whole draft, and I was really surprised to see him in the bottom of almost every 7 round mock draft. He was the #1 for U of A. He is a red zone threat as he will go up and get it. Also a great 3rd down receiver, someone with size at the position, which we have been missing for so long. Willing blocker and will beat out the left over wideouts from last year for the #3/#4 spot.

Round 6 (213 overall) QB
Vernon Adams- Complete qb who may always be a qb backup or journeyman but that's okay. He will helps the other qbs transition to Chip's offense and is huge security blanket for our team with Gabbert and Goff splitting reps during year one. Ckwontgetyou7, is gone, one way or another. I believe in a draft day trade with the Broncos for a 2nd in 2017. We could do much worse than Adams as our 3rd qb.

yes please.
Thanks Money, solid draft. The Ian Williams situation has Baalke and Coach Kelly rethinking the D-line. Things will be clearer if and when Kap is traded.
I would bust my nut if Doctson was still there at our number 2, but I don't see it.
It would be great to have Goff and Doctson.
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
I would bust my nut if Doctson was still there at our number 2, but I don't see it.

This
Fine draft and breakdown.

Doctson at #2 is doubtful - BUT a trade up isn't out of the question.
I could live with this ..nice mock
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Thanks Money, solid draft. The Ian Williams situation has Baalke and Coach Kelly rethinking the D-line. Things will be clearer if and when Kap is traded.

Agreed. If the draft's first two picks went that way, that may even restore little faith I had in Trent.

Given the Ian Williams situation...I wouldn't be surprised to see the 49ers take a look at Nick Fairley now...(unless he got picked up and I didn't see it)
Originally posted by lamontb:
I could live with this ..nice mock

Co-signed.

• fan49
  • Veteran
After doing research I have to say wentz is the better quarterback for our offense. They both throw the ball really well but then you have an athlete and a non-athlete
Thanks everyone, appreciate it. I'm getting ready to do a 2nd one here pretty soon.

Originally posted by fan49:
After doing research I have to say wentz is the better quarterback for our offense. They both throw the ball really well but then you have an athlete and a non-athlete

We all have different opinions. I think Goff is a natural at quarterback. Really really smooth in the pocket. Not disagreeing about Wentz being a better athlete, but Goff is the qb I would choose from this draft to lead the 49ers.
Share 49ersWebzone