LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 403 users in the forums

Leonard Floyd, OLB

Isn't Doctson really old for a prospect too?
Originally posted by Since07:
Originally posted by strickac:
Personally I think age is one of he most worthless factors in drafting. If the guy becomes the player you hope he can, you'll still only get 5 years out of them, with a chance of extending them for a few more. Typical best case is around 8 years before they retire or chase money in FA.

If you buy that logic, Floyd would be in his early
30s even after an extension.

Wasn't Brandon Weeden 28 when he was drafted? I wouldn't have touched him with a 1st round pick.

I take strength into consideration when talking about age if you're 24 and your weakness is strength there's not much room to develop that. Now you take a young athlete like Andrew Billings who's 20 he hasn't reached his prime yet and can get stronger

There's also the fact that older prospects sometimes look better than they are because they're beating up on 18-year-olds.

Don't get me wrong; Floyd looks like he'd be a great fit at ILB. But most people think he'll go in the top 12, and I wouldn't want him until around 25.
"Great fit at ILB"

Lol what?

The guy is a pure pass rusher. He'd play OLB. georgia tried using him at ILB, and he looked totally miscasted and uncomfortable. However, he looked dynamic and unblockable at times when they had him as a pass rusher. Don't know what the hell Georgia was thinking having him alternate between positions.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 20, 2016 at 9:45 PM ]
I'd rather have Kaufusi
Originally posted by Heroism:
"Great fit at ILB"

Lol what?

The guy is a pure pass rusher. He'd play OLB. georgia tried using him at ILB, and he looked totally miscasted and uncomfortable. However, he looked dynamic and unblockable at times when they had him as a pass rusher. Don't know what the hell Georgia was thinking having him alternate between positions.

Floyd isn't strong enough to play OLB in a 3-4 very well. Maybe in a 4-3 like Julian Peterson. But if he played in a 4-3, he should be behind D-linemen, not getting pushed over by offensive tackles.
He's a situational edge rusher.

That fact that you think he should play ILB reveals you have no clue what you're talking about. He's too tall and his pad level is too high to play down hill.

georgia already tried this. It didn't work. Watch the tape.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 20, 2016 at 11:34 PM ]

That fact that you think he should play ILB reveals you have no clue what you're talking about. He's too tall and his pad level is too high to play down hill.

His height will help him in coverage against tight ends, who have become more and more prolific in NFL passing games.

He's a little tall for the position, but he's proven to have good instincts & tackling ability.

I prefer him at OLB, but he's getting looks at ILB too. He said teams are talking to him about both right now.
His stock is falling a bit after his lackluster Pro Day. Apparently he just opted out of part of the workout (bench press, I think) and left the scouts hanging. I am curious where there are reports about him being tried as an ILB. That seems a little crazy too me as this guy looks like a pure edge rusher who needs to add strength to his length.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
His stock is falling a bit after his lackluster Pro Day. Apparently he just opted out of part of the workout (bench press, I think) and left the scouts hanging. I am curious where there are reports about him being tried as an ILB. That seems a little crazy too me as this guy looks like a pure edge rusher who needs to add strength to his length.

He mentioned it during interviews. He briefly says it here at the 1:34 mark...

Share 49ersWebzone