LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 216 users in the forums

Mock draft version 1

Two QBs? Prescott and Adams?
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Well we won games with Alex Smith. KC made the playoffs with him. We would have been better off keeping him over Kap. Check out the stats I posted about Gabbert playing all 16. They would have been pretty damn nice behind our brutal line last year.

I look at Goff and I don't see a QB who is better than Gabbert. We are in no position to draft a rookie QB with a top 10 pick and hope he turns into Montana. This team has so many holes. If he busts it would set this franchise back 5 years.

Torrey Smith, Bruce Ellington and DeAndre Smelter at WR? No thanks. That is almost worse than our 2011 group with Crabtree, Kyle Williams and Brett Swain. We absolutely MUST add a #1 WR.

I'm shocked you aren't defending Kap anymore. You spent the better part of 2 years defending him and bashing everyone else possible for his failures as a QB. Everything I told you and your twin came true. I said it all 2 years ago and you fought be tooth and nail about it. But, I don't expect you to be a man and admit I was right and you were horrificly wrong.

That's because heading into this year I still thought he could be a good QB but after what happened last year and especially the Arizona game I don't see a way he can become a legit franchise QB for THIS team anymore. It wouldn't surprise me to see him go to another team and find success.

Goff to me is everything Kap wasn't. He can get the ball out quick, has great accuracy and has the football IQ to be a great field general while having the pocket poise you need to hang in there when the OL isn't totally dominating.

Get the QB first and every WR looks better on the field. Gabbert is afraid of making plays just like Alex Smith and our talent is no longer the caliber that can win a lot of games with a game manager at QB.
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
If you "don't buy into the hype" of Goff it's one thing but draft a player that makes sense we need pass rushers and offensive linemen way more than a receiver if Buckner or Stanley is there absolutely draft them ahead of Treadwell.

Buckner maybe but I doubt he is there at 7. But Stanley? Play him where when Davis comes back?
Originally posted by mr49er:
Two QBs? Prescott and Adams?

Adams will be a practice squad addition.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
We have bigger needs than wide receiver. It makes no sense to draft a receiver at 7 especially after trading your quarterback who's going to throw it to him? I'm not convinced Gabbert's the answer

Round 1 I definitely see us getting either a QB, pass rusher or O-lineman.
Who said Gabbert was. But we did see he was more of an answer last year than kaep
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Love it. Love the two qbs. Late. One will be a huge sleeper
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Buckner maybe but I doubt he is there at 7. But Stanley? Play him where when Davis comes back?

Shift someone inside. No big deal. Both those two on the right side. Staley and Zane on left and Kilgore in the middle. Sounds good to me
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
That's because heading into this year I still thought he could be a good QB but after what happened last year and especially the Arizona game I don't see a way he can become a legit franchise QB for THIS team anymore. It wouldn't surprise me to see him go to another team and find success.

Goff to me is everything Kap wasn't. He can get the ball out quick, has great accuracy and has the football IQ to be a great field general while having the pocket poise you need to hang in there when the OL isn't totally dominating.

Get the QB first and every WR looks better on the field. Gabbert is afraid of making plays just like Alex Smith and our talent is no longer the caliber that can win a lot of games with a game manager at QB.

Lol. Alex was ruined into being scared. When he had Bryant at wr he sure wasnt
I still dont see Goff being any better than Gabbert. I see nothing out of Goff to suggest he is a franchise QB. And just because we may need a QB does not mean we should reach for one with a top 10 pick.
Originally posted by fan49:
Shift someone inside. No big deal. Both those two on the right side. Staley and Zane on left and Kilgore in the middle. Sounds good to me

Joe Staley
Zane Beadles
Daniel Kilgore
Andrew Tiller
Anthony Davis

WR1 - Laquon Treadwell
WR2 - Torrey Smith

Looks 10x better than:

Joe Staley
Zane Beadles
Daniel Kilgore
Anthony Davis
Ronnie Stanley

WR1 - Torrey Smith
WR2 - Quinton Patton

We went 3 years under Harbaugh with a brutal WR corps and it cost us a Championship. Even the best QB in the world (Aaron Rodgers) looked bad at times with no-one to throw too.

With Ian Williams a big question mark now, I think DL is the biggest need. My first pick would be Buckner...it's an opportunity to create an excellent young front 3. Dial can slide inside to NT and have Purcell back him up. Both Armstead and Buckner are Kelly guys...and you know he'd love to have both guys on his team. Agree Kelly needs a receiver, but let's also not discount what Smelter and Eric Rogers offer. Kelly also likes Ellington's skillset, so I'd look for him to have a bigger role in his offense. I think 2nd rd is really early for Jenkins...with Shilique Calhoun, Spence, Ngkoue arguably available, I'd think Baalke would grab one of them. There should be a number of very good WR's available in the 3rd rd. I really like most of your picks.
Originally posted by fan49:

Joe Staley
Zane Beadles
Daniel Kilgore
Andrew Tiller
Anthony Davis

WR1 - Laquon Treadwell
WR2 - Torrey Smith

Looks 10x better than:

Joe Staley
Zane Beadles
Daniel Kilgore
Anthony Davis
Ronnie Stanley

WR1 - Torrey Smith
WR2 - Quinton Patton

We went 3 years under Harbaugh with a brutal WR corps and it cost us a Championship. Even the best QB in the world (Aaron Rodgers) looked bad at times with no-one to throw too.

You would like to Look good and not produce ? I would take OL if it was a choice between those two
Is Treadwell the next JJ Stokes?
IMHO our biggest need is pass rusher. Our pass rush was almost nonexistent last year. While Goff is intriguing it seems to me that there is not an elite pass rusher on the second day.
I still dont see Goff being any better than Gabbert. I see nothing out of Goff to suggest he is a franchise QB. And just because we may need a QB does not mean we should reach for one with a top 10 pick.

I find it a bit ironic that you don't see Goff as a franchise QB given the reasons you kept bashing Kaepernick. Goff is like the opposite of Kap.

Kap was big, muscular, fast as heck, cannon for an arm but as far as the knocks he had on him from most people - seemed to lack the mental part of the game, had poor accuracy, poor pocket poise, got the ball out slowly(with the ball going too fast at times), poor touch and from reports caused a rift in the locker room and had some "diva" in him.

Goff is slim, not super fast, decent arm but no cannon and is definitely a pocket passer. He's shown to have great pocket presence(playing behind a piss poor Cal OL) he has great accuracy, great touch, has the mental part of the game down, student of the game and came into a program that was dog chit and turned it around despite having less than a stellar cast around him.

I know a lot of people think Goff isn't a top tier prospect but IMO he has everything you need in a QB. Sure if he had 10.5 inch hands and weighed 240 lbs at 6'4 and could throw the ball 70 yards down the field with a flick of his wrist he'd be a much better prospect but IMO the weaknesses in his games and the reasons I've seen tear him down are silly.

I saw the recent article where a scout mentions how he hasn't won....dude started on a 1-11 team as a true frosh and won more games each season.
Of course they mentioned his small hands...well what do you know they grew a 1/8 of an inch in a month. Goff didn't turn the ball over more than guys with huge mitts.

Is he a sure thing? No but nobody is. Still I think if he's on this team he would work his ass off to give this team another great QB. I know the fact that he's a 49ers fan who grew up worshiping Montana seems just like a cool little tidbit but IMO that also means he'd try that much harder to not disappoint.

Can you imagine being a fan of a team...getting a chance of playing for them and being known as an epic failure? That just gives someone more drive to succeed imo.

Draft Goff. Let him sit behind Gabbert this year and really soak up the playbook/coaching and hopefully watch the offensive line fix itself. Use next offseason to add more talent via free agency & draft and let the kid do his thing.
Share 49ersWebzone