LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 355 users in the forums

Baalke is too smart!

Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by Kes8514:
When the Niners were a contender a few years back, their players were built from the draft, not free agency. None of these players that are being signed for huge contracts would have been worth it.

We are in a rebuilding mode. Build through the draft. Now the question is can Baalke and Kelly do that?
Except for Justin smith, Carlos Rogers, donte whitner, Johnathan Goodwin, randy moss, Ted ginn, Ahmad brooks, Akers aND Phil Dawson.

While we did have a majority of our players from the draft we had a number of contributors to our contention years come from FA

Ted Ginn was a trade. Most of those players weren't signed on day 1. Free agency is a marathon, not a sprint.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by Eastbay9er:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
With so much cap space sign at least one top tier free agent. This would at least show the fans they're trying.

THIS!!! Show something!!!

I'm completely fine if the team is planning on tanking next year for a high draft pick and rolling over $50 million in cap space for next offseason. There will be a lot of teams rolling over cap room and the salary cap will probably go up again, so we're not likely to find better deals next year, but we can end up with a better draft pick by tanking next year and a ton of cap space. I'd be fine with a 4-12 season (with a much better +/- showing team improvement) if we roll over $50 million in cap space. 2 consecutive years of high draft picks and tons of cash is a decent way to rebuild.

So youre fine with being a loser for a draft pick and more cap space? So when Baalke does his usual so so job and has more money he doesn't spend that's ok. You accept failure very easy
It's amazing some of the people here accept failure so easy and make excuses for bad management. We're in full rebuilding mode! Baalke is so smart not to overpay! Nonsense!!! We lost 7 starters. Yes that's tough, but did they not know Smith and Gore were getting old? Going to let Iupati walk? Not resign 2 starting corners? If Baalke is so smart of course he did. He just did a terrible job drafting their replacements, except for maybe rb. As for the few unforeseen departures he has had a draft (more than one knowing the age of Smith and Gore) and 50 million of cap space and has shown nothing. Soon we'll have another draft. So the question is how many drafts and how much fa money do you need to replace 7 starters? I do enjoy reading how some here talking about not overpaying. Certainly some gm's disagree , but whose to say you, Baalke or anyone? Whats a 66 mustang gt500 worth? No blue book its all subjective. So how do you get to 50 million to spend? By not spending enough to keep competitive. So you Baalke lovers keep paying for steak and getting hamburger. You seem to enjoy getting the shaft.
Originally posted by Kes8514:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Except for Justin smith, Carlos Rogers, donte whitner, Johnathan Goodwin, randy moss, Ted ginn, Ahmad brooks, Akers aND Phil Dawson.

While we did have a majority of our players from the draft we had a number of contributors to our contention years come from FA

Yes those guys did come from Free Agency, but not at the price we are seeing some of these guys today are getting for average production.

Building from the draft so much more important than just blowing money like some crazy fans on here seem to want the Niners to do....just because.

Key draft players during those few good years:
Vernon Davis, Iupati, Boone, Davis, Staley, Goldson, Willis, Bowman, Aldon, Kap, Alex Smith, Gore, Miller, Delanie Walker, Reid, Andy Lee, Brown, Culliver, McDonald, Sopoaga.

Key is, and always has been, to build through the draft and don't overspend in free agency. Especially with a rebuilding team like we are right now.

While that's true, for the most part, we really did overspend for Justin Smith when we signed him. Dude was paid a top tier DE contract with a 20 mil signing bonus and had never had more than a handful of sacks in a year.

We even gave the guy a helicopter ride around San fran to get him to sign.

While I'm mot supposing we do that every year, with the state of our franchise being what it is, we need help. A lot of help. Help that won't come in 1 draft or probably even 2. We have to being in more talent that will be difference makers. I really would've liked to see us nab trevathan and Mack, but, oh well.
Originally posted by 9er69er:
So youre fine with being a loser for a draft pick and more cap space?

Yes. How do you think teams get better ultimately? You draft some franchise quality players early and build around them.

If the 49ers were to get a DE like Buckner this year and a pass rusher like Garrett next year they'd have moved a long way back towards playoff contention with just those two elite players.

This team wasnt going to the playoffs next season, no matter who they signed or who they drafted. Just too many holes to fill and a lack of Justin Smith and Patrick Willis type franchise players.

It is going to be a 2-3 year process at best. Expecting that 2016 will result in a sudden improvement like 2011 just isnt realistic based on the talent alone.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 10, 2016 at 6:34 AM ]
I never really wanted any of those players that got way overpaid yesterday...the only defensive guys I want on this team is Sean Smith and James Laurinaitis add DeForest Buckner to that and our defense is right back on top.... on offense I think we need 1FA o-lineman 1 FA WR and 1 FA RB and a QB in the 3rd round
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9er69er:
It's amazing some of the people here accept failure so easy and make excuses for bad management. We're in full rebuilding mode! Baalke is so smart not to overpay! Nonsense!!! We lost 7 starters. Yes that's tough, but did they not know Smith and Gore were getting old? Going to let Iupati walk? Not resign 2 starting corners? If Baalke is so smart of course he did. He just did a terrible job drafting their replacements, except for maybe rb. As for the few unforeseen departures he has had a draft (more than one knowing the age of Smith and Gore) and 50 million of cap space and has shown nothing. Soon we'll have another draft. So the question is how many drafts and how much fa money do you need to replace 7 starters? I do enjoy reading how some here talking about not overpaying. Certainly some gm' s disagree , but whose to say you, Baalke or anyone? Whats a 66 mustang gt500 worth? No blue book its all subjective. So how do you get to 50 million to spend? By not spending enough to keep competitive. So you Baalke lovers keep paying for steak and getting hamburger. You seem to enjoy getting the shaft.

Thank you! Agree 1000%
Build thru the draft is great if you have a GM that could draft 3 starters per year and a few quality backups.
It's also funny to see guys leave and make pro bowl(iupati) play a vital role in a Super Bowl team(Ginn) and earn a solid role(Crabtree)

Originally posted by davidboutte:
It's also funny to see guys leave and make pro bowl(iupati) play a vital role in a Super Bowl team(Ginn) and earn a solid role(Crabtree)

So are you blaming the GM or the coaching for that.

Crabtree made it quite clear that he didn't want to return to the 49ers due to the QB situation....aka....Kaepernick.
I wanted Malik Jackson ...but not at the price he was asking ...too damn steep and cripple the cap in the future ...wished we could have got Trevathan at the price the Bears paid
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by davidboutte:

So are you blaming the GM or the coaching for that.

Crabtree made it quite clear that he didn't want to return to the 49ers due to the QB situation....aka....Kaepernick.

We had to overpay to get Torrey Smith after a so so Kapearnick season. Bolden helped his recruitment. If I'm a free agent WR I wouldn't wanna be a 49er either. The 49ers don't value WR's because they don't utilize them well. Ginn was an electric KR but we couldn't get him involved on offense and thus had lower value. He proved what he's capable of in a solid offense. Crabtree signed a prove it deal. He did and got paid like a legit #2.
The problem is we've become such a laughing stock that nobody really wants to play here. We would have to overpay anybody good to come and if it comes down to picking between us and another team for a good player 99% of the time they will pick the other team.
It's all about the draft and not so much FA at this point. If Baalke doesn't start hitting on picks again then he'll be gone in good order.

Save the money for when it will actually help us, next offseason or the year after. But even then that won't matter if Baalke doesn't make good picks in the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone