LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

40 yard dash

Was just thinking, why doesn't the NFL combine have players run a 40 in full football gear from a standing position. You watch guys run the 40, and you can tell they've been training to run it track style, but you never run like that in the NFL. Why not simulate actual football running?
I think the 40 is mainly used as a standardized test for players. It's probably not make or break, but it provides context for a player's fundamental running/athletic ability. Game tape might show that Joe Schmoe from Nowhere Community College is a beast, so the measured events (minus pads) tells scouts just how beastly that guy is. If his 40 time (and other events) matches top guys from DI schools, then they can be sure the tape doesn't lie and he's at the pro level. You can add pads and helmet, but it might add variables to those 40 times (do they start from a three point stance? do they hold a ball?).

I would think that players/teams might use padded timed events at pro days/visits. It probably just depends on what they are trying to gauge about a player.
[ Edited by zonkers on Mar 9, 2016 at 9:34 AM ]
Originally posted by Trath44:
Was just thinking, why doesn't the NFL combine have players run a 40 in full football gear from a standing position. You watch guys run the 40, and you can tell they've been training to run it track style, but you never run like that in the NFL. Why not simulate actual football running?

The combine needs a whole makeover. I think they shouldn't know exactly which drill theyre going to be tested on. So they just condition themselves and see what happens.

Like why would my offensive linemen need to do the broad jump. Or when do we see a kicker using a bench press on the field.

Lots of tweaks needed
  • fan49
  • Veteran
But now Maxwell with the 4.28... That's fast training for track or not. He will burn a lot of people
Share 49ersWebzone