LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

Goff-Putting Your Money Where your mouth is...

• dj43
If Kaepernick is still on the team - 3, then draft one of the lesser lights down in 4-6.

If Kaepernick is gone - 2, still draft another QB later.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
I got to meet Goff today at burger King
Originally posted by HERN:
I got to meet Goff today at burger King

The funny thing is that Goff's hands are probably bigger than 90% of posters on here. 9" is small for an NFL QB, but above average for a non-football player. For fun, I measured my hand (thumb to pointy finger) relative to the width of a piece of paper and my hand is about 1/2-3/4 of an inch longer putting me in the Goff/Kaepernick range.

I wonder how many QB's are going to start getting hand massages prior to the combine. Haven't heard if Goff got any, but it wouldn't shock me if that question came up in interviews. Would suck if his hands are really 8 3/4". Don't think it will really help Brandon Allen unless he promises teams he's going to get hand massages regularly for his entire career.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2619668-brandon-allen-uses-hand-massages-to-make-hands-bigger-at-2016-nfl-combine

We should try that with Goff to bump his hand size up to 9 1/4" or 9 3/8".
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Mar 5, 2016 at 9:56 PM ]
Consider that the NFL average for quarterback hand size is currently 9.6 inches. Well, some of the top "short" quarterbacks (6'2" or shorter) of the past decade have ridiculously large hands—Drew Brees (10.25 inches), Russell Wilson (10.25 inches), Brett Favre (10.38 inches). There are also countless tall quarterbacks with small hands who were drafted highly and failed to live up to expectations.
Small-Handed Quarterbacks Who Excel

There are some quarterbacks with small hands who have bucked the trend to play well in the NFL, too. But as I studied those quarterbacks, it became clear that the majority have one thing in common—mobility. Some of the top small-handed quarterbacks to play in the past decade include Michael Vick (historically small 8.5-inch hands), Colin Kaepernick (9.13 inches), Robert Griffin III (9.5 inches), Daunte Culpepper (9.5 inches), Aaron Rodgers (9.38 inches), and Tony Romo (8.86 inches).
Originally posted by westcoastchamp:
Consider that the NFL average for quarterback hand size is currently 9.6 inches. Well, some of the top "short" quarterbacks (6'2" or shorter) of the past decade have ridiculously large hands—Drew Brees (10.25 inches), Russell Wilson (10.25 inches), Brett Favre (10.38 inches). There are also countless tall quarterbacks with small hands who were drafted highly and failed to live up to expectations.

There are countless tall quarterbacks with big hands who were drafted highly and failed to live up to expectations as well.

I think in the end what a QB has going on between the ears matters far more than any other trait.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 6, 2016 at 5:03 AM ]
Small-Handed Quarterbacks Who Excel

There are some quarterbacks with small hands who have bucked the trend to play well in the NFL, too. But as I studied those quarterbacks, it became clear that the majority have one thing in common—mobility. Some of the top small-handed quarterbacks to play in the past decade include Michael Vick (historically small 8.5-inch hands), Colin Kaepernick (9.13 inches), Robert Griffin III (9.5 inches), Daunte Culpepper (9.5 inches), Aaron Rodgers (9.38 inches), and Tony Romo (8.86 inches).

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/47036/311/exploring-qb-hand-size

Looks like that was copied and pasted from here. Interesting article - I agree that teams overemphasize height at certain positions when they should really be looking at arm length (pass rushers and offensive linemen in particular) and hand size. Height is correlated with success at those positions largely because arm length or hand size is correlated with height.

Wentz looks really good throwing the ball and has solid footwork. His size, athleticism, and bigger hands (10") puts him ahead of Goff for me even though I like both of them a lot.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

There are countless tall quarterbacks with big hands who were drafted highly and failed to live up to expectations as well.

I think in the end what a QB has going on between the ears matters far more than any other trait.

This. Although there are extremely smart QBs, like the guy we just hired, who don't amount to anything on the field as well. So obviously talent plays the largest role but in order to be elite, it is what you have between the ears that pushes you to the next level
Share 49ersWebzone