There are 248 users in the forums

MadDog49er's Combine Defensive Line Review

In the end, Baalke shouldn't overthink this one. If Buckner is on the board, pull the lever. Dude is a monster from Day One.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 3, 2016 at 12:50 PM ]
Let's start with Joey Bosa, since many believed this season that he was the odds on favorite to go number one in this draft. Highly unlikely now, as he needed a massive combine to keep that top status. Running a 4.86 did not help. Nor did the 1.69 split. Nor the 32" vertical. For most defensive ends, those numbers are not bad. But for a guy hoping to go first overall, just not strong enough. The good news for Bosa is that he looked athletic in the field drills, and ran the cone and shuttle times very well. In the end, it was a mixed bag for him. Expect a selection in the 5-9 range.

If he's there at #7 would Bosa be an option to replace Aldon Smith or is he more of a 4-3 DE?
I agree whole heartedly about Oakman and am glad I am able to confirm I wasn't seeing things. Super creepy.
I lightly browsed the offensive thread, this thread I'm evaluating every word, trying to find hidden messages. Thanks for the update and I'm waiting impatiently for LBs and CBs.
How on earth do you explain all of the tape you watch to your wife?

Thanks for the write up md. Great as always.
Originally posted by Sourball:
Let's start with Joey Bosa, since many believed this season that he was the odds on favorite to go number one in this draft. Highly unlikely now, as he needed a massive combine to keep that top status. Running a 4.86 did not help. Nor did the 1.69 split. Nor the 32" vertical. For most defensive ends, those numbers are not bad. But for a guy hoping to go first overall, just not strong enough. The good news for Bosa is that he looked athletic in the field drills, and ran the cone and shuttle times very well. In the end, it was a mixed bag for him. Expect a selection in the 5-9 range.

If he's there at #7 would Bosa be an option to replace Aldon Smith or is he more of a 4-3 DE?

I think Bosa surprised many with his athleticism in the cone and shuttle times, which show the ability to change directions quickly. We all know he can get after the QB. I think a very good option at 7, if on the board.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
How on earth do you explain all of the tape you watch to your wife?

Thanks for the write up md. Great as always.

I get up really, really early each day. She doesn't know....maybe.
  • crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
In the end, Baalke shouldn't overthink this one. If Buckner is on the board, pull the lever. Dude is a monster from Day One.

My thoughts exactly, Jack would be my 2nd option if Buckner is gone.
Thanks for your perspective on Butler he and Dodd are two guys I love in this draft.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I am curious MadDog, have you ever been asked to work as a scout for a team? Would you do it if offered?

Originally posted by crew:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

I think Jack is an incredibly versatile piece that would be used like Matthieu, but one level closer to the LOS. I don't want to spend that draft capital on an ILB (even if Goff and Buckner are gone), but he seems like so much more than an ILB.
Originally posted by crew:

Jack is fun. He lines up all over the place, including in the slot against TEs and WRs. He is just crazy good. My only fear with him is that he goes all out on every play, and loves to initiate contact. I see him as a guy who will be dinged up quite a bit if he is not smart about picking his moments.
Originally posted by WINiner:
I agree whole heartedly about Oakman and am glad I am able to confirm I wasn't seeing things. Super creepy.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 4, 2016 at 9:56 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Dudes arms are bigger than his legs.. wtf
Originally posted by hightop:
Thanks for your perspective on Butler he and Dodd are two guys I love in this draft.

Dodd is a fun guy to watch as his game seemed to rapidly improve as the season went along. He measured really well at 6'5", 277, with 34" arms. Ran a decent 40 time at 4.86, but pulled up lame in his second forty. So, we'll have to wait a week until Clemson's Pro Day on March 10 to get some legit numbers. I think he is going to be best suited right where he was on the line at Clemson, as a strong side 43 DE, lined up against the RT. Room to put on a few pounds, some 34 team might take a really long look at his bench press numbers to see if they believe he has the strength to pick up 15 pounds and play a 34 DE. I don't think he has that core strength right now. I am skeptical of him as a 34 OLB.

Butler has some real versatility, and could be a first rounder. He is going to be on the edge of the first and second. Probably best inside, but if a team wanted a jumbo 3-4 set, he has the height, length, and strength to play the 34 DE role to gobble up a ton of blockers to liberate their outside backers. Just depends on a team's scheme.
Share 49ersWebzone