There are 173 users in the forums

NYniner85 post combine mock

Well the combine is finished and now it's on to pro-days...a couple players moved up and down, but game film is much more important than what you can do in tights.

Since the combined a lot has happened Kap wants out and Davis is going to join the team both are HUGE deals.

Cap space currently on over the cap is $55.5 million:

FA adds:

Olivier VernonDE/OLB - Won't turn 26 until October. 25.5 sacks over last 3 seasons. He's are big signing, gonna command $13 million a year which is fine for a young pass rushing stud. IF we want good players were gonna have to pay for it and the cap keeps going up $15 or so million a year. I'm saying somewhere around 5 years $60-$65 million.

Jerrell Freeman ILB- He graded out as the 4th overall ILB last year on a not so good Colts defense. He's 29 so Freeman won't command big money on a 3 year deal similar to Bethea. 3 years $20 million.

Geoff Schwartz- He wants to play here and is from the area and has been under our OL coaches wing while in NY...it makes sense and when he's healthy he's a solid player...won't have to invest a ton of cash either. 3 years $8 million...FYI I'd love to get Brooks or Osemele just don't know if Baalke will drop that much coin on a OG.

Patrick Robinson CB- He's been sort of a bust while in NO but quietly had a solid year in SD. I could see a deal similar to what Brock got maybe less years because of his age and lack of production/injury. 3 year $10 million.

Cuts:

Brooks
Pears
Nick Bellore
Jerome Simpson

Resign:

Williams-top priority signing
Celek- Solid blocking TE would made some real strides in the passing game this year...if he can stay healthy I like him Vance,Bell,Busta.

FYI I could live with a Boldin resign but he might want more and be on a team looking for a SB...not happening here for now

Trade:

Not projecting draft day trades (even though we know there will be), but Kap wants out and while I'd like to see what he can do with Chip ultimately we will part ways...most people think he's not worth a bag of chips but judging on the cash that Bradford and Cousins are and will be getting we can see how important the QB position is.

We trade Kap to the Rams (yes I know division rivals whatever my mock ) LA wants a big name and already have a stud D and running game to put around him...they have 2 2nds and give up one and a conditional pick in 2017 based on play.

Draft:

1st: Jared Goff QB Cal-After seeing the combine and Wentz rocketing up the board Cleveland grabs the bigger and stronger of the two...Dallas is the big ?? I think they go Bosa or Ramsey BUT if they do go Goff Bucker is my backup.

Goff is the perfect fit for Chip! Great feet,quick release, and is football smart...Rascal is the first person to order his Goff jersey SF get's their man and Goff is just as happy!

2nd- Vernon Butler DT Louisiania Tech -He can play all over the DL he's so quick for his size and reminds me of Wilk I have no problem lining him up at RDE...he has a nasty to him and Baalke/Chip love big.

2nd(rams)-Josh Doctson WR TCU- Chip has a gold star next to this kid's name! He's big and has great ball skills...I was very impressed with his combine, but I bet Chip/Baalke were even more.

3rd-Christian Westerman OG AS- He had a great combine and I think would fit in perfect in Chip's system. He battles with Tiller and Schwartz for the two open spots.

4th-Pail Perkins RB UCLA - Pro Football Focus charted UCLA RB Paul Perkins as the NCAA's most elusive running back. he might be gone at this point but he doesn't really have the size to be a 3-down back but a very good COP RB in the league...I wouldn't be surprised if SF goes after Doug martin in FA but for now this is the pick!

4th (comp) Jaylon Smith OLB ND- Baalke does a Baalke and drafts a injured player with a comp pick. At this point in the draft I'm fine with taking a chance on a top 10 player when healthy. We brought in Freeman to be the starter for at least a year and Smith won't be playing anyway...if he can get back to form this would be the steal of the draft.

5th (Chargers) Hassan Ridgeway DT Texas- Had a great sophomore year but was hurt this season...he has conditioning issues but Chip will put an end to that IMO we need to come out of this draft with at least two players on the DL.

5th Dadi Nicolas OLB VT- Has long ass arms and huge hands...has a 40+ vert so you know there's some explosion there. He needs to pack on the Lbs, but can be used as a 3rd down pass rusher...can never have enough of those.

5th (comp)-TYLER JOHNSTONE, OT - Same as my last mock..Here's our ACL man, he played this season but has been injured in the past. Adds depth to the tackle position an chip get's a duck.

6th Blake Martinez ILB Stanford- He has some skills, solid 3 cone and put up 22 reps...I actually think he will go higher then this but CBS sports has him in the 6th.

6th Daryl Worley CB WV- He has the size you like 33 1/2 inch arms and huge hands...he's a safety but has tight hips and at the very least solid ST.

6th-Issac Seumalo OG Oregon St- adds more depth to the line he had a foot issue and might be "injured" this season because of it. He can get to the second level which is important in chip's offense.

6th-Mike Thoma WR Southern Mississippi- I don't think he drops this far but I'm just going off of CBS rankings...big bodied WR.

Okay we know there will be wheeling and dealing on draft day so I don't expect us to have 12 plus players being draft...what are your thoughts????
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I don't have to tell you my excitement if they drafted Jared Goff, but I also hope they draft Vernon Butler. Jaylon Smith pick is VERY realistic.
Solid moves but i don´t like the Schwartz singnin. Not a upgrade for our o-line imo.
Not a fan of Goff at 7 but I think (hope) Butler will be there at 37 so if we can land Vernon in Free Agency (and only if we land him, IMO of course) that #7 pick becomes an option to take a QB. If we can't get Vernon, pass rush or Buckner is hopefully the pick.

I love that you grabbed a starting caliber OLineman in Free Agency as I think that is where we need to build that position. I would hope for Brooks as I simply do not trust Schwartz to stay healthy but if he checks out and we can't get Brooks, Schwartz is a very good consolation.

Butler is my favorite DE for us if we can't get Buckner and the fact that I think he will be there at 37 makes him that much more attractive. Snagging Doctson with that other 2nd is perfect, if he hasn't bumped himself up into the late first-early 2nd talks. Either way, I'm willing to bet that either him, Thomas or Coleman will be there around that spot so either one is okay with me.

Not a fan of Ridgeway as I'm really surprised he even came out this year but we have a very good Dline coach and I think he can develop into a quality rotational player. Would prefer Reader here though. Grabbing Smith with that 4th round comp is brilliant since we already addressed our other needs before him; great job!

MIchael Thomas from Southern Miss is a WR I really like (I used to make sure I grabbed him in my Fan Duel games ). He is extremely talented and could very well be gone by this point but if not, I would love to add him, even if it's in the 5th TBH.

Great mock draft. We have a similar mindset when it comes to priorities and the fact that you added a young, stud pass rushing OLB and starting caliber G in Free Agency and were able to walk away with our future QB, starting DE and WR in the first few picks is phenomenal! Well done
Very nice..good job..id love it if the offseason played out like this..honestly we think alike bc my next mock I was planning taking Westerman in the 3rd then having us trade back in the 3rd for Jaylon Smith..taking Doctson in the 2nd..Buckner in the 1st and Kap staying..and signing Vernon too..
[ Edited by jersey49er on Mar 2, 2016 at 9:00 AM ]
Originally posted by SF_Warrior:
Solid moves but i don´t like the Schwartz singnin. Not a upgrade for our o-line imo.

He's been soild when healthy that's the issue is health...I just don't see Baalke spending 8+ million on OG, I could be wrong but I wanted to try and make it realistic if you add in westerman and the fact that Davis is coming back I think it's a huge improvement overall.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I don't have to tell you my excitement if they drafted Jared Goff, but I also hope they draft Vernon Butler. Jaylon Smith pick is VERY realistic.

Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
Not a fan of Goff at 7 but I think (hope) Butler will be there at 37 so if we can land Vernon in Free Agency (and only if we land him, IMO of course) that #7 pick becomes an option to take a QB. If we can't get Vernon, pass rush or Buckner is hopefully the pick.

I love that you grabbed a starting caliber OLineman in Free Agency as I think that is where we need to build that position. I would hope for Brooks as I simply do not trust Schwartz to stay healthy but if he checks out and we can't get Brooks, Schwartz is a very good consolation.

Butler is my favorite DE for us if we can't get Buckner and the fact that I think he will be there at 37 makes him that much more attractive. Snagging Doctson with that other 2nd is perfect, if he hasn't bumped himself up into the late first-early 2nd talks. Either way, I'm willing to bet that either him, Thomas or Coleman will be there around that spot so either one is okay with me.

Not a fan of Ridgeway as I'm really surprised he even came out this year but we have a very good Dline coach and I think he can develop into a quality rotational player. Would prefer Reader here though. Grabbing Smith with that 4th round comp is brilliant since we already addressed our other needs before him; great job!

MIchael Thomas from Southern Miss is a WR I really like (I used to make sure I grabbed him in my Fan Duel games ). He is extremely talented and could very well be gone by this point but if not, I would love to add him, even if it's in the 5th TBH.

Great mock draft. We have a similar mindset when it comes to priorities and the fact that you added a young, stud pass rushing OLB and starting caliber G in Free Agency and were able to walk away with our future QB, starting DE and WR in the first few picks is phenomenal! Well done

Yeah overall I think Buckner is a better prospect but if everything went down like this (Kap trade & FA) I wouldn't have any problem getting Goff

I thought of putting Reader in there but I like the upside of ridgeway.

Yeah I like Thomas doubt his there but SF can be flexible with trading picks.

Thanks man!
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Very nice..good job..id love it if the offseason played out like this..honestly we think alike bc my next mock I was planning taking Westerman in the 3rd then having us trade back in the 3rd for Jaylon Smith..taking Doctson in the 2nd..Buckner in the 1st and Kap staying..and signing Vernon too..

Yeah I'd be pumped if it went like this
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I like the Patrick Robinson pick up too..i liked him a lot at Florida state..good size and speed..could be a Carlos Rogers type signing..tho the front 7 was dominant and helped him look good..

Originally posted by NYniner85:

I like the Patrick Robinson pick up too..i liked him a lot at Florida state..good size and speed..could be a Carlos Rogers type signing..tho the front 7 was dominant and helped him look good..

Yeah I'm a FSU fan and liked him coming out of the draft. hopefully our revamped front 7 will help the whole secondary
Just not that hype on Freeman overall. And after researching Vernon more closely just doesn't seem like 13 million is worth 8.5 sacks. I'm not opposed to overpaying a guy but this seems a bit too much. But maybe it's the going rate. Good with the FA's. I agree Baalke isn't going to break the bank for a guard. Love the draft. Would rather Spence or Buckner over Goff but I can live with Goff. If they do draft Goff what do you think they do with CK? CK just doesn't seem like the kind of guy you sit behind and can learn from.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Just not that hype on Freeman overall. And after researching Vernon more closely just doesn't seem like 13 million is worth 8.5 sacks. I'm not opposed to overpaying a guy but this seems a bit too much. But maybe it's the going rate. Good with the FA's. I agree Baalke isn't going to break the bank for a guard. Love the draft. Would rather Spence or Buckner over Goff but I can live with Goff. If they do draft Goff what do you think they do with CK? CK just doesn't seem like the kind of guy you sit behind and can learn from.

Freeman was the 4th overall LB last season (#1 against the run) it doesn't have to be the big name players to be a solid FA pickup. I also had us getting Blake and Smith as LB options in the draft along with Hodges...it would be a great pick for the price.

Ias far as Oliver t's not all about sacks it's about pressure which he was very good at...he's only 25 and I think it's safe to say his best years are ahead not behind him (I'd rather overspend on a young player). He's the best pass rusher available in FA and if he was getting 10+ sacks a year we wouldn't even be talking about signing him because he'd be getting Justin Houston money from the phins....and like you said that's the going rate the cap is the highest it's ever been and it's only getting higher, players are going to be getting more money regardless it's all about inflation.

I stated in the mock we would trade Kap, that's the reason we got Goff...we won't be heading into the season with Blaine given the keys there will be competition and Goff will give him it.

I thought Smith had nerve damage in his knee/ankle. That might not ever get right, it could be a wasted pick.
Thought you were calling the Niners to go after Mack??

I think with the restructuring of Staley, SF is going to make a splash in a couple weeks.
Share 49ersWebzone